creating hifi system

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,have had some excellent advice regarding speakers and an sacd player recently.oppo 93/5...marantz pear-lite and kef R100 speakers to replace the front L/R of my home theater set up(for stereo)

Could i ask,would i get a better sound from a dedicated stereo amp,rather than using my avr?

T

the record spot

Most people on here will probably tell you that you will, so your best bet is to try one or two out. That said, your Yamaha will provide not only good sound quality, but a pile of functionality a bog standard integrated won't come near to delivering; hi-res audio, the means to bi-amp, onboard DACs...but give them a whirl. Just be open-minded - the 1010 is a very fine amp.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
was hoping someone would say that :)

could you explain to me what bi-amping means?

not sure i understand bi-wireing either so i need to look into this,also how the zone2 works.

T

the record spot

Bi-amping means you can use a power amp to drive your speakers' bass and treble drivers independently, rather than through just the one integrated. If you were doing this through traditonal separates, you'd buy a power amp and link it to your integrated's pre-outs. Then you'd use the power amp to typically drive the bass and the integrated the treble. More boxes, etc.

scene

If you have a 5.1 system and a 7.1 or 9.1 amp, with some amps (like the Yamaha) you can use two spare channels (the rear surround back ones usually) to drive the lf on your front pair, while the front channels drive the hf. You'll need speakers that can be bi-amped (four binding posts on the back for cable) and you mist remove the jumper plates that connect each pair of posts on the speakers.

Of course, if you've just got some shiny new r100s, you've now got a spare pair of 3005s you could use to make a 7.1 system...

EDIT: or as front presence speakers...

the record spot said:
Most people on here will probably tell you that you will, so your best bet is to try one or two out. That said, your Yamaha will provide not only good sound quality, but a pile of functionality a bog standard integrated won't come near to delivering; hi-res audio, the means to bi-amp, onboard DACs...but give them a whirl. Just be open-minded - the 1010 is a very fine amp.

TBF, most of the mags also (ones I've read) suggest that a dedicated stereo set-ups is a better bet with music, hence why many will suggest the notion. Personally I've only heard a budget Sony 5.1 and Arcam AV600 and they sounded 'on the money', although the budget kit, even though it fills the room well, sounded too smooth for my ears.

That said, If I had room for multi-channel set-up then I wouldn't be allergic to the concept.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys,and when i get the R100's i'll defanatley seek advice about bi-wiring...when i eventualy get to demo them,i will ask,nay demand that the retailer show me the differance between the two methods.

EDIT:just had a measure and i can't place the R100's by the tv...they are too big..... :roll:

So if anyone reads this post,is it possible to take the R100's out of the loop of the HT and use just for HiFi,is this possible while still connecting to the avr...although they wont be the F/L/R?

:cheers:

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Am currently using £700.00 AV AMP for music & its sounds very good indeed. SR6003 Marantz. Let yours ears do the buying dude. I wirte & produce music & have listen to a lot of live instruments in the studio & this amp plays really well. Smooth sounding & very musical.

Yes 2 channel amps may sound better, but thats not always the rule.

Good luck.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Just to update i up-graded the front speakers,(in my excitment forgot to ask about bi-amping)would there be a noticable advantage to bi-amping these?

Any advice gratefully recieved:)

TRENDING THREADS