Crazy expensive accessory's without warranty it wil work better than something cheaper !

gasolin

You know about the £4200 hifi fuse https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/this-fuse-costs-£4200.125517/

Antother expensive accessory is a Chord GroundARAY Noise Absorber for £550, for some it would be an okay price for a + £10000 system

The real crazy next level in noise absorbers,noise cancelling,reducing product is also from chord Chord PowerARAY Professional Noise Reduction Block for x10 the price of the Chord GroundARAY Noise Absorber, for no less than £5,500

It might work, have an effect compared to the hifi fuse but to me it's ridiculous expensive, fix the problem instead of buying a unit to fix it, if you can afford £5,500 on a Chord PowerARAY Professional Noise Reduction Block you have the money to fix what ever problem (s) the Chord PowerARAY Professional Noise Reduction Block is trying to improve

This might work almost as good for alot less, for active speakers or dual amps you need 2

Other crazy ridiculous expensive accessory that will brak the bank,your wallet and might not work better than something alot cheaper ?

Last edited:

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I would say that anyone who has the money is entirely entitled to buy whatever they want and believe in, regardless of whether we regard it as foo. Why not?

On the Audiolab DC block ... I have one. Not because I have any transformer hum on my amplifiers but out of curiosity if it does anything else to my system/s. There seems to be a slight reduction in hash/noise in treble heavy tracks.

DiggyGun

Mar 2, 2021
Visit site
I tried the ChordARAY plugs and found that they did make an improvement. After playing with them, using two was optimum. However, at £500 each, there wasn’t enough of an improvement for the cost. If they were £50-100 each, it would have been worth a punt.

The Audiolab DC Blocker is not what I would class as ridiculously expensive. I use a similar product, IFI DC Blockers to stop the hum on two of my power amps. It’s very effective, reduced the hum significantly, but importantly with no detriment to the sound quality. At £107 each, good value for money at that price.

DG….

Reactions: Clarkey_71
Is this accessory better than the metal links supplied with loudspeakers ?

There was once a review that measured a distortion from the metal links. Later they found these weren’t tightened up properly. There’s a definite appeal in having matching wires, and those little plates often look as cheap as chips.

That said, most of us don’t see the weedy little wires most manufacturers use inside our speakers. What we probably don’t appreciate is that easy and accurate assembly is important to the manufacturing process, and a few inches of any cable will make no difference to the impedance or capacitance of the overall product.

Unfortunately, Nordost seem to exhibit the extreme jewellery end of the spectrum, with fantastical claims that don’t seem very credible.

D

Deleted member 201267

There was once a review that measured a distortion from the metal links. Later they found these weren’t tightened up properly. There’s a definite appeal in having matching wires, and those little plates often look as cheap as chips.

That said, most of us don’t see the weedy little wires most manufacturers use inside our speakers. What we probably don’t appreciate is that easy and accurate assembly is important to the manufacturing process, and a few inches of any cable will make no difference to the impedance or capacitance of the overall product.

The cost of those links buys a pair of ATC actives. I know which i would rather have !

Reactions: WayneKerr

Friesiansam

Is this accessory better than the metal links supplied with loudspeakers ?

This thread is really plumbing the depths of the snake oil industry!
Unfortunately, Nordost seem to exhibit the extreme jewellery end of the spectrum, with fantastical claims that don’t seem very credible.
You are being far more polite and charitable than I was, when I looked at the link.

D

Deleted member 201267

Here is a recent video claiming a sonic improvement when the metal links are replaced with short lengths of OFC copper cable.

There is a demonstration at the end of the video but i'm afraid i can not detect any difference...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urctRCKxr5c

I’m not beyond trying these things. But these for my ATCs cost about £25, and that’s fair enough in my book. They look cool even if I can’t say the sound was ‘night and day’ different, and my wife didn’t ask what I’d done as the sound was so amazing!

The cable is Van Damme Hifi OFC 4mm if you’re curious. From eBay seller lucasoundvision.

View: https://imgur.com/bHXz3Yp

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 201267

I’m not beyond trying these things. But these for my ATCs cost about £25, and that’s fair enough in my book. They look cool even if I can’t say the sound was ‘night and day’ different, and my wife didn’t ask what I’d done as the sound was so amazing!

The cable is Van Damme Hifi OFC 4mm if you’re curious. From eBay seller lucasoundvision.

View: https://imgur.com/bHXz3Yp

I would at least try them, at that price, but only on a system costing thousands. The Nordost ones though are a ridiculous price.

D

Deleted member 201267

Exactly. My ATC speakers are c £4000 a pair so it’s fair enough, but the Hifi jewellery is bonkers. I wonder if they’ve ever sold a set?

I have always wondered if they had sold any.

The whole Nordost Odin gold price range just baffles me...

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
The cost of those links buys a pair of ATC actives. I know which i would rather have !

Those links are not aimed at you. The buyer will already have active ATC's, probably in his or her third, small bedroom system.

Small change for some.

However, it always amuses me when forums discuss and dismiss these expensive accessories and I do wonder why.

What is it to you (me)? Good luck to anyone able to afford it. He/she is happy, the vendor is happy, everyone's happy.

Waste of time imho to have (mostly hypothetical) discussions about it without any experience using those things or to be in a financial position where a few grand are as important as the cost of a coffee.

If you are (in that financial position) and still baulk at the cost of said items or have tried them and found they make no improvements .... fantastic. You can go to your favourite spa, roll in the mud and drink champagne whilst doing so.

Happiness all round.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 201267

Those links are not aimed at you. The buyer will already have active ATC's, probably in his or her third, small bedroom system.

Small change for some.

However, it always amuses me when forums discuss and dismiss these expensive accessories and I do wonder why.

What is it to you (me)? Good luck to anyone able to afford it. He/she is happy, the vendor is happy, everyone's happy.

Waste of time imho to have (mostly hypothetical) discussions about it without any experience using those things or to be in a financial position where a few grand are as important as the cost of a coffee.

If you are (in that financial position) and still baulk at the cost of said items or have tried them and found they make no improvements .... fantastic. You can go to your favourite spa, roll in the mud and drink champagne whilst doing so.

Happiness all round.

I can see your point regarding coming on forums and moaning about items i could never personally afford.

Seriously though what price of loudspeaker would make the addition of those Nordost jumper cables appropriate ?

Very expensive loudspeakers that's the answer, and, such loudspeakers i would hope would be fully optimised from the start without the need for such tweaks...

Gray

I just hope, as others suspect, that they've actually sold none of some of the most ridiculously priced (and clearly ludicrous) products.

(Anyone that has bought though....can you imagine them not 'hearing' some improvement?....it would be "money well spent", rather than good money wasted).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts