Covers that are better than the original

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
Not sure there are enough for this to get legs, but new versions of songs was discussed on another thread which prompted me to go listen to some of my favourites.

So to try to get a thread running, I'll start with my favourite cover (I think the original was a cover of a trad song anyway - might be wrong):

Whiskey In The Jar by Metallica.

Never heard it before but sounds just like a copy of Thin Lizzies version? But what is the original?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Have a listen to Richard Thompson's version of Britney Spears' "Oops! I Did It Again" off his marvellous 1000 Years of Popular Music album.

Who's to say it's better, but it's certainly different.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Never heard it before but sounds just like a copy of Thin Lizzies version?

In terms of tune it does but its got guts and drive that the Lizzy version doesn't IMO.

BigH said:
But what is the original?

I'm pretty sure it's credited as a traditional song. The Dubliners did it before Lizzy but again I don't think it was original then.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
BigH said:
Never heard it before but sounds just like a copy of Thin Lizzies version?

In terms of tune it does but its got guts and drive that the Lizzy version doesn't IMO.

BigH said:
But what is the original?

I'm pretty sure it's credited as a traditional song. The Dubliners did it before Lizzy but again I don't think it was original then.

http://www.avclub.com/article/long-and-winding-road-whiskey-jar-irish-musics-mos-216532

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
DIB said:
Have a listen to Richard Thompson's version of Britney Spears' "Oops! I Did It Again" off his marvellous 1000 Years of Popular Music album.

Brilliant - although I must declare a view that Britney's "baby one more time" song was a great pop song albeit with a unnecessary video.

A couple of other candidates to consider:

Stairway to Heaven by Rodrigo y Gabriela

Wonderwall by The Mike Flowers Pops

manicm

TomSawyer said:
DIB said:

Brilliant - although I must declare a view that Britney's  "baby one more time" song was a great pop song albeit with a unnecessary video.

NO, NO,NO AND NO!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
DIB said:

Brilliant - although I must declare a view that Britney's "baby one more time" song was a great pop song albeit with a unnecessary video.

Talking of Led Zepp. I don't mind Beth Rowley's version of Nobody's Fault But Mine.

TrevC

Almost any cover is better than an original Jackson Browne song. He is so lack lustre as a studio performer IMO. For example, try Nico or Glen Campbell doing 'These Days' or Christy Moore doing 'How Long'.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Collide - White Rabbit

Claire Guerreso - Tainted Love

Devo - I can't get no satisfaction (amusing, if not better)

Heavy D & the Boyz - Mr Big Stuff

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

@ Trev C

I do love Nico's 'These Days', it's just stunning, and I'll listen out for Glen Campbell doing it too, could be good.

BigH said:
TomSawyer said:
DIB said:

Talking of Led Zepp. I don't mind Beth Rowley's version of Nobody's Fault But Mine.

It makes a change for someone to be ripping off a Led Zeppelin number. ;-)

TrevC

Al ears said:
BigH said:
TomSawyer said:
DIB said:

It makes a change for someone to be ripping off a Led Zeppelin number. ;-)

John Renbourne's version is better. Led Zep kind of zapped it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Greedence Clearwater.... I heard it through the grapevine

Guns n roses ..... Live and let die

Marilyn Manson..... Sweet dreams are made of this

over kill album which is called cover kill .. Covers of black sabbath , led Zeppelin and so on

ozzy osbourne has done a load of cover songs as well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts