Covers that are better than the original

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
TrevC said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:
TomSawyer said:
DIB said:
Have a listen to Richard Thompson's version of Britney Spears' "Oops! I Did It Again" off his marvellous 1000 Years of Popular Music album.

Brilliant - although I must declare a view that Britney's "baby one more time" song was a great pop song albeit with a unnecessary video.

A couple of other candidates to consider:

Stairway to Heaven by Rodrigo y Gabriela

Wonderwall by The Mike Flowers Pops

Talking of Led Zepp. I don't mind Beth Rowley's version of Nobody's Fault But Mine.

It makes a change for someone to be ripping off a Led Zeppelin number. ;-)

John Renbourne's version is better. Led Zep kind of zapped it.

+1

jjbomber

emperor's new clothes said:
Santana's cover of Fleetwood Mac's Black magic woman. Although I like both.

Absolutely the best by a country mile. Santan has built a 40 year career on the back of that cover version. Did All Along The Watchtower have any effect on Hendrix career? No. not much anyway. It is just fashionable to pick that, but career wise it has to be Santana.

The only one that comes close is Joe Bonamassa with Sloe Gin. Again his career went from zero to hero with that cover version. A total life changer. It still tops the PlanetRock chart for listener enquiries (What was that track?).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jjbomber said:

Absolutely the best by a country mile. Santan has built a 40 year career on the back of that cover version. Did All Along The Watchtower have any effect on Hendrix career? No. not much anyway. It is just fashionable to pick that, but career wise it has to be Santana.

The only one that comes close is Joe Bonamassa with Sloe Gin. Again his career went from zero to hero with that cover version. A total life changer. It still tops the PlanetRock chart for listener enquiries (What was that track?).

Hendrix died 2 years later. Dylan seemed to do his live All Along the Watchtower based on Hendrix version. Did Fleetwood Mac do Santana's? Its good but then the whole album Abraxus is great so I don't think its just on the back of Black Magic Woman.

What about The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:

Absolutely the best by a country mile. Santana has built a 40 year career on the back of that cover version.

That's a bit of a stretch. There was a whole lot more to Santana than just that particular song, and as far as career trajectory goes I would have thought that their Woodstock performance was the catalyst to superstardom.

D

Deleted member 108165

Donna Summer (so much more than a disco queen):

Could It Be Magic

MacArthur Park (the 18 minute Suite version is excellent)

State Of Independence

Lush Life

Dinner With Gershwin (not really a cover, written by Brenda Russell, DS sang it first then Russell had a stab at it and ruined it)

There Goes My Baby (although Drifters original version is damned good too)

La Vie en Rose (Piaf's version is beyond reproach, DS version is in English and uptempo)

Con Te Partiro (A Bocelli/S Brightman version is brill in a different way, (titled incorrectly as Time To Say Goodbye; DS's transaltion from Italian title is correct - I Will Leave (go) With You).

Plenty of other covers in her live shows but not recorded.

D

Deleted member 2457

Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love
shades_smile.gif

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
manicm said:
stefanom said:
Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From My Friends

If I was purely objective I'd agree, being a human being I generally despise all Beatles covers.

As a lifelong Beatle fan who too usually also despises all Beatles covers I really like Rod Stewart's version of Get Back.

TrevC

AntAxon said:
manicm said:
stefanom said:
Joe Cocker - With a Little Help From My Friends

If I was purely objective I'd agree, being a human being I generally despise all Beatles covers.

As a lifelong Beatle fan who too usually also despises all Beatles covers I really like Rod Stewart's version of Get Back.

I quite like Richie Havens doing Here Comes the Sun.

D

Deleted member 108165

Nah, gel is just in love with the uncensored vid on youtube for Manson's version. Gloria Jones and Soft Cell cover is waay better.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance but I'd never heard of Richie Havens, but just been listening to him on Spotify. He's got are really nice voice. Spotify is great for finding new music isn't it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts