Covers that are better than the original

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Not sure there are enough for this to get legs, but new versions of songs was discussed on another thread which prompted me to go listen to some of my favourites.

So to try to get a thread running, I'll start with my favourite cover (I think the original was a cover of a trad song anyway - might be wrong):

Whiskey In The Jar by Metallica.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

would be my top one.

Because the Night by Patti Smith

Is also up there.

Think a lot depends on the original artist. Bob Dylan is a better writer than singer IMHO.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
but as I'm listening to it and it's takes me back to my teens....

I think Tangerine Dream's version of Cry Little Sister tops the original by Gerard McMann, although there's hardly a version of this I don't like and there's loads out there.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Every Thursday morning on his excellent BBC Radio London programme, Robert Elms plays an original and a cover (selected by a listener) and invites preferences live or by email/twitter/facebook, before reaching a not very scientific decision on which is best.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Absolutely owned Dylans 'All along the watchtower'.

The best cover, ever.

That one would get my vote too
thumbs_up.gif

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I think the op was looking for something a bit more obscure,everyone knows all along the watchtower was better done by JH.

To be honest, I'm pretty open minded, if putting Watchtower on here gets just one person to listen to it that hasn't before, it's been a valuable public service. Getting a list of recommendations to listen to and then comment back on and discuss I thought might be fun.

I guess almost all covers of Dylan originals could fall into this category, but Hendrix doing Like a Rolling Stone surpasses Watchtower in my humble opinion (not by much).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts