Covers that are better than the original

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
what did you think of the cd? Think dream theater were a big part of the recording! How good is mike portnoy? Wow....

Only managed to listen to about half so far, although I must have had it on random looking at the track list. All good although some are noticibly different while others are pretty close to the originals.

I notice Jake E Lee on the credits - I saw him play with Ozzy on the Bark at the Moon tour - my first gig, aged 15!

I'll listen to the rest on the way home. Thanks (and to everyone else, for that matter) for the recommendation.

K

keeper of the quays

luckylion100 said:
War Pigs... just kidding... ;-)
it's a really good cover in my opinion..someone did a cover of planet caravan which was great..cant remember who?

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:
Hurt by Johnny Cash

Love Hurts by Gram Parsons with Emmylou Harris
I have that version of love hurts..i like the Nazareth's version too.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
jjbomber said:
emperor's new clothes said:
Santana's cover of Fleetwood Mac's Black magic woman. Although I like both.

Absolutely the best by a country mile. Santana has built a 40 year career on the back of that cover version.

That's a bit of a stretch. There was a whole lot more to Santana than just that particular song, and as far as career trajectory goes I would have thought that their Woodstock performance was the catalyst to superstardom.

Hey Freddie you should check out their latest Santana IV. It's the dogs doo dahs.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
busb said:
Collide - White Rabbit

Certainly different. I listened to several Collide covers on YouTube, and the complexity and sound quality did seem to vary - maybe listening to the tracks on CD, would help the separation between the instruments and the vocals.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
And the album 'Something Else Again' is great.

Just checked on Amazon, and funnily enough, the vinyl is only 50p or so more expensive (£18.99) than the cd. Thinking about it....

I've seen original pressings go for not much on eBay in the past, so if you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on there. Also, Discogs is always worth checking, though I've just had a look, and there's no real good ones available at a reasonable price at the moment.

EDIT: Just checked ebay, and found this. The seller's open to offers on it, and they've also got some other albums you might be interested in, so you may able to get a deal on combined postage too.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Just checked on Amazon, and funnily enough, the vinyl is only 50p or so more expensive (£18.99) than the cd. Thinking about it....

I've seen original pressings go for not much on eBay in the past, so if you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on there. Also, Discogs is always worth checking, though I've just had a look, and there's no real good ones available at a reasonable price at the moment.

EDIT: Just checked ebay, and found this. The seller's open to offers on it, and they've also got some other albums you might be interested in, so you may able to get a deal on combined postage too.

Thanks Bernie. I had a look at the link you kindly provided. A couple of things, I don't have an e-bay account (but I could get round that), and he appears to pretty much describe all his albums as being in "excellent" condition. I could be wrong, but that sounds a bit unlikely. I think what I'll do is check out the album on YouTube, and if I like it, I'll buy it from Amazon, not too expensive, in the grand scheme of things.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

That's because the CD is actually two albums (includes Mixed Bag).

Yeah, I saw that. Probably sounds daft, but I like to buy albums in their original form. Yeah, I know *biggrin*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
DIB said:
Freddy58 said:
DIB said:
jjbomber said:
emperor's new clothes said:
Santana's cover of Fleetwood Mac's Black magic woman. Although I like both.

Absolutely the best by a country mile. Santana has built a 40 year career on the back of that cover version.

That's a bit of a stretch. There was a whole lot more to Santana than just that particular song, and as far as career trajectory goes I would have thought that their Woodstock performance was the catalyst to superstardom.

Hey Freddie you should check out their latest Santana IV. It's the dogs doo dahs.

That's weird, I was only listening to that last night! Off the top of my head, it seems like there are one or two weak tracks, but on the whole, I liked it. I need to listen to it again
thumbs_up.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Thanks Bernie. I had a look at the link you kindly provided. A couple of things, I don't have an e-bay account (but I could get round that), and he appears to pretty much describe all his albums as being in "excellent" condition. I could be wrong, but that sounds a bit unlikely. I think what I'll do is check out the album on YouTube, and if I like it, I'll buy it from Amazon, not too expensive, in the grand scheme of things.

Two things. Firstly, I presume you could use someone else's ebay account, so if you (they) pay by Paypal, you have a money back guarantee, including return postage. Secondly, the seller does have good feedback, and does describe quite a few albums as having scratches, so he/she seems quite honest.

It's up to you, but if you do decide you'd like the album, make sure you do a bit of research on who pressed the reissue, as some reissues are awful (as you probably know).

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
It's up to you, but if you do decide you'd like the album, make sure you do a bit of research on who pressed the reissue, as some reissues are awful (as you probably know).

Good point. Yes, I did/do know, but it doesn't always spring to mind. Thanks for the reminder
thumbs_up.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Good point. Yes, I did/do know, but it doesn't always spring to mind. Thanks for the reminder

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sundazed-vinyl-mastering-quality.153472/

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/what-do-people-think-of-sundazed-vinyl-pressings?reply=3960068601394915

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5595

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sundazed-records-is-their-quality-good.287430/

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/sundazed-vinyl-mastering-quality.153472/

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/what-do-people-think-of-sundazed-vinyl-pressings?reply=3960068601394915

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5595

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sundazed-records-is-their-quality-good.287430/

A bit of a mixed bag...

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Almost forgot my obligation to mention this track at every opportunity......

D'Angelo's cover of Smokey Robinson's 'Crusin' off the Brown Sugar album......superb.

K

keeper of the quays

Not sure this counts? Mahler's orchestrations of Beethoven...splendid!

TrevC

Check out the Unthanks doing Robert Wyatt and Antony and the Johnsons covers. Most enjoyable, I love their voices. The album's on Spotify.

Here's a video of them doing Wyatt's Sea Song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk8iwbgiWKQ

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
Check out the Unthanks doing Robert Wyatt and Antony and the Johnsons covers. Most enjoyable, I love their voices. The album's on Spotify.

Here's a video of them doing Wyatt's Sea Song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk8iwbgiWKQ

Love The Unthanks and just getting into Antony and the Johnsons, so will enjoy this, thanks.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Macspur said:
just getting into Antony and the Johnsons

Really? How? I can't get past two seconds of his droning. Drives me nuts that Björk keeps getting him on to guest on her albums now.

I do know what you mean, but lyrically the music is quite beautiful and quite like the simplisity of it.

Try some Cocorosie that's pretty weird too, must be a phase I'm going through lol!

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Coltrane's cover of "My Favourite Things" - does that count?

Also, kd lang's live version of "Hallelujah" (Vancouver Winter Olympics opening ceremony).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts