could someone explain what kind of sound the marantz sound is? sorry im a beginner!

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
im thinking of buying my first ever hifi seperates set-up and i quite fancy the marantz cd6002 with matching pm6002 amplifier. but ive heard some people say they are not fans of the marantz sound. i personally would like my set-up to be dynamic and warm sounding. am i on the right track with the marantz set up then? also pondering the idea of the meridian f80. would the marantz set-up equal that of the meridian f80 or would the meridian out perform the marantz cd player and amp. for the record i plant to purchase the monitor audio bronze br2 with the marantz set-up. any advice would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

A

Anonymous

If you ae a fan of the warmer sound then Marantz will no doubt suit you.

Myself i have had the pm4000 and cd5600 and not thought much of them but the 6002 maybe different :)

A

Anonymous

gooner26:im thinking of buying my first ever hifi seperates set-up and i quite fancy the marantz cd6002 with matching pm6002 amplifier. but ive heard some people say they are not fans of the marantz sound. i personally would like my set-up to be dynamic and warm sounding. am i on the right track with the marantz set up then? also pondering the idea of the meridian f80. would the marantz set-up equal that of the meridian f80 or would the meridian out perform the marantz cd player and amp. for the record i plant to purchase the monitor audio bronze br2 with the marantz set-up. any advice would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

The Marantz will far surpass the F80 in all regards (except for size!). That sounds like a nice set of matching components there and they will certainly deliver the goods for what you are looking for (warm, dynamic sound). However MA speakers (because they have metal tweeters) are quite bright - so if you are accustomed to an older system or a midi/mini/micro system and especially a home cinema setup, you may wish to either audition the speakers or try some from Wharfedale (Diamond 9.1) or Bowers and Wilkins (686). However, it isn't overly bright - just it will take you a while for your ears to adapt to a much cleaner, brighter sound if you have come from products as listed above.

A

Anonymous

The 686's also have metallic tweeters and wont sound too soft, but that would help lift the Marantz stuff. They are all current models any decent hi fi store wouldnt have a problem letting you listen to those parts :)

A

Anonymous

I'm not a big fan of Marantz hi-fi. These components tend to be warm sounding, although very musical with a big soundstage. I had a CD6000 OSE Ki powered by a PM6010 OSE Ki with MA BR2's and I was frankly dissapointed with the sound (my ears!). It was too subdued for my musical taste.

But there was a huge improvement, IMO, when I used a Rotel RA-02 Amp. These two seemed a good match for each other.

A Meridian F80, although dimunitively sized, is in a different league altogether - there is no comparison with your CD6002/PM6002 combo. The F80 will beat most separate systems - hard to believe, I know, but true nevertheless.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Been a fan of Marantz for the past 11 years. Had CD63, CD67OSE, The KI's, PM57, CD6000 and now CD6002. The set up of Marantz and MA is surely good on paper and basd on review, you should not go wrong. However, as the others mentioned, it still depends on the type of sound you would want hear. Warm what Marantz is. have a listen to it at the shops.

T

the record spot

Marantz 6010-KI is warm sounding??? Hello? The Arcam Alpha 5 was warm sounding, the 6010-KI is anything but IMO. Partner it with the right gear and it'll be fine.

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
think i may audition the meredian f80. from what i can gather the meridian is superior in performance to the marantz set-up and also is easier to live with. could someone explain what kind of sound the meridian is? ie warm sounding, dynamic ect. cheers

A

Anonymous

gooner26:think i may audition the meredian f80. from what i can gather the meridian is superior in performance to the marantz set-up and also is easier to live with. could someone explain what kind of sound the meridian is? ie warm sounding, dynamic ect. cheers

The Meredian is in most people's opinions on this forum, NOT as good as even the Marantz system listed above. There are inherent problems with all-in-one solutions, some of which I shall list below:

1) You cannot upgrade from it. With a seperates system, you can upgrade each component independantly which not only saves money, but gives you great satisfaction and enjoyment. If new technology arrises, such as a new format for music, it cannot be upgraded; it is not future-proof.

2) These systems tend to be unreliable due to lots of technology being packed into such a small box - if one part of it breaks it cannot be independantly fixed.

3) The sound-quality is certainly not on par with hi-fi seperates. The soundstage, due to the speakers being very close, is vitually non-existant; it's best to forget the bass ever existed because anything below 60hz is virtually non-existant; the sound is far from natural-sounding because the speakers tend to re-verbirate in the box.

4) And then there is the issue that they do not hold their value as well as components.

Really, you are paying for style over substance. It's a similar issue with Bose product B&O products. Make your decision, for all stated above is in my very humble opinion...but I do think such a product is quite a rip-off if you are looking to get the best sound for your pound!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's a great match, but the Marantz pairing is good enough for even better speakers if you have the cash: B&W 685s sound lovely with this combination, for example.

A

Anonymous

gooner26:
thanks for the reply hughes123. would the bronze br2 be good partners for the marantz or could i do better with something else?

Yeah, the BR2s are excellent speakers - really excellent moreover! There are many alternatives however that sound just as good, but have different characteristics.

Others to consider include: EPOS M12.2 (£449 - if your feeling like you want to splash out!)
Bowers and Wilkins 686 and 685 and CM1 (£289, £369, £449 respectively)
Quad 11L2 (£375)
Wharfedale EVO2 10 and Diamond 9.2 (£319 and £200 respectively)

All of the above prices are the RRP of each product; many deals are now available that can almost half the price of some of these!) I havn't recommended any floorstanders, because I believe you have to spend north of £600 to get decent ones.

But the BR2s are great anyway...just audition (preferably at home) first with your own music and the volume you want to listen at...NOT the salesman's!

gooner26

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
if i chose the b&w 685 for example would i bewire them or does the marantz amplifier not allow for that. i also had a look at the marantz user manuel and it dose'nt say anything about using a digital coaxial cable to connect to the cd player. what cable would u reccomend at this price point for the marantz?

A

Anonymous

gooner26:
if i chose the b&w 685 for example would i bewire them or does the marantz amplifier not allow for that. i also had a look at the marantz user manuel and it dose'nt say anything about using a digital coaxial cable to connect to the cd player. what cable would u reccomend at this price point for the marantz?

You can biwire from any amplifier...just connect the speakers like normal on the amplifier end and using biwire cable, connect it to the speakers using the correct polarity (+,- or Red and Black). It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Google it and you should get some results about the process. Then again, you don't have to biwire - just use the terminal jumpers on the speakers and plug in like normal.

As for cable from CD player to amp, a Line RCA cable should be used. It's best not to use cheap interconnects - they can really degrade a system - but you don't need to spend £100 on them either. Something like QED's Qenex Two should do nicely.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I don't want to be boring, but why don't you audition both systems and whatever the dealer may recommend and then buy what sounds best. It's a massive outlay and for the sake of a £50 saving it would be much safer to audition.

Especially if you're not sure what sound you're looking for (not intending to sound arrogant here fella)

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I came across this page accidentally and having read it felt compelled to register so I could post a reply.

I recently purchased a meridian f80 because I'd moved to a small room in London and there was no way my naim / proac system could reasonably move in with me (now at my partner's).

Choosing an all-in-one glorified, ferrari-badged clock radio over a proper hi-fi must be madness, and yet..

I've got to say I'm enjoying this little thing MORE than my naim/proac in my previous abode. Seriously. A lot of it is to do with the accoustics& positioning of the 'proper' system being pants where I last lived. By contrast this little box is portable, you can move it from room to room, and it honestly sounds like nothing I've ever heard before.

Big sound sure, but more importantly so dynamic and detailed, especially surprisingly when you turn it down to low volume at bed time, when most systems fall off and flatten a bit. I've been enjoying that 'hifi feeling' of being completely involved in the music kicking back late at night which really is more than I expected.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links , apologies if not , but here's a review in a well-known american publication I totally agree with: http://www.stereophile.com/accessoryreviews/408mer/index.html

Take everything I've written with a pinch of salt. There's lots of ways in which a seperates system is better, no question. Ultimately soundstaging definitely narrower. But don't write this thing off as an even-more-overpriced-Bose. It's definitely worth auditioning!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Marantz CD players. I now have the CD6002 and it's awesome for the money. The amps are not so good, a bit mushy sluggish sound and not very accurate. Bass is not tight enough.

I couldn't believe the improvement when I bought a Rotel amp.

A

Anonymous

IMO, Rotel's strength is it's fast presentation and details (I own RA-01 2nd hand). My PM7001KI has big bass but I would say it's not slow as I also listen to some fast music ,the PM7001KI can still cope with it. It just presents bass bigger than the RA-01. Both are good amplifier (IMO)

A

Anonymous

Slightly off beat.....but why not consider a second hand amp ...even pick up an old cyrus 2 psx combo which would cost you around £100 off ebay for a good one, whats more cyrus will service it and repair it if necessary so you can really buy with no real worries. This might be an old amp but it will still show a clean pair of heals to a lot of new stuff!

Add to that an arcam diva 135 dvd player ( really great with cd and with great dvd replay as a bonus) now for as little as £299 and that will leave you upwards of £600 for some realy nice speakers (second hand you could even get something like the b&w 704's....now you are talking)

If sound quality is your thing over convenience then the Meridian as good as it is could not live with that system.

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts