Corner Base Trap Completed Project

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that sheggs. I was actually looking at tri traps on your site the other day, although I think finances mean they're not an imminent purchase. Do you have a link to test results for the tri traps?

Thanks,
Ben

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
That's helpful, thanks. How much extra does it cost to have a non-standard height of tri trap? If you click on the 'hi fi' link in my signature you will see that there is an alcove in the space behind my left speaker. From the tri trap measurements (although I'm not sure if 'width' is the length of the two sides or from the corner to the longer side) the standard size wouldn't quite fit in.

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
It really needs to be against the wall if possible.

To do one smaller would be £10 plus VAT custom fee per trap, feel free to emal at dave.s@gikacoustics.com if you have any further questions

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Ben. Love the side panels but wonder if they are acoustically transparent and thick enough? If not and not then please don't take this as critisism since from my own much earlier post 'compromise' is always necessary. I could see a bass trap.in the alcove cut to match the curve?? Nice looking area.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Ben. Love the side panels but wonder if they are acoustically transparent and thick enough? If not and not then please don't take this as critisism since from my own much earlier post 'compromise' is always necessary. I could see a bass trap.in the alcove cut to match the curve?? Nice looking area.

Hi Rob/in,

the acoustic panels were done as a bit of an experiment. The material for the side panels I think is reasonably suitable (can breathe through it), the back panel less so. I recently got an image of my son that I'd quite like to make into a panel, which is why I was on the GIK website, looking at their art panels. Side panels would be my third priority after rear panel and some bass traps. Reading up on some articles such as the one I posted, I don't think a home made trap would achieve what I want, so I think paying someone like GIK to do it would be the best solution. I also don't think my DIY skills are up to curved frames! However, two tri traps and a large panel plus delivery is probably around £500. I don't think I can really afford it. Am mulling it over.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Looking again at ur pix .... Mmmmmm..Tricky! Personally I would experiment with rockwool hoping to convince myself that treatment was not greatly beneficial..If not convinced and the experiment showed the traps to be beneficial then I would make some temporary traps and start saving. Are your speakers equidistant? The rhs seems further forward? My traps were simple to make at least for experimental purposes. Good luck Ben.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Speakers are equidistant. I've no real problems, I think it's a naturally very good room acoustically due to the sloped ceiling, the alcove and the L shape. There is zero echo from a handclap. I'm seated well away from the rear wall. So it's more an idea of making final improvements. For that reason, I don't want to expend the time (which is a rare commodity at the moment) on a DIY bass trap which at best is likely to absorb upper bass frequencies. I've never been entirely happy with the rear panel and I now have an image I want up in my house anyway, so I'm thinking I may as well spend a few extra quid for an acoustic panel as an ordinary one. The bass traps are probably an unnecessary luxury.

Anyway, thanks for the good luck wishes and I'll be sure to post if I make any major changes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts