Converting optical digitial audio to stereo phono

DrPips

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I recently bought a new TV and blueray player, but the TV does not have a stereo phono out to connect to my amp, only digital optical. I currently have my Sky HD+ box and blueray player connected to my amp seperately, but it would be more convienient if I could connect the TV. Is there anyway I could convert the cables?

Thanks,

Dom

daveh75

Yes, with a DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter). If you want a cheap solution look at the CYP AU-D3.

If you're prepaired to pay more, then look at DACs like the MF V-DAC, CA Dacmagic, Beresford etc.

However, you'll need to check if your TV can output/pass through audio from external sources or just it's internal tuner.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
In general most TVs only output audio from their internal tuner(s).

Alternatively, read the manual.

Page 8: "When the receiver (home theatre) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV's optical jack. When the TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theatre receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theatre receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver directly to an amplifier or home theatre."

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
A assume your TV still has a SCART connector you should be able to pickup a SCART adapter which would require no external PSU to get the 2 channel output you require.

DrPips

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
In general most TVs only output audio from their internal tuner(s).

Alternatively, read the manual.

Page 8: "When the receiver (home theatre) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV's optical jack. When the TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theatre receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theatre receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver directly to an amplifier or home theatre."

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what that all means!!

Dom

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
What it's saying is that when the TV is receiving broadcast TV, it will output up to 5.1-channel via the digital output, depending on the broadcast sound format.

When other sources are connected to the TV, it will only output stereo from them via its digital output.

So you'll still need a DAC between the TV and the amplifier, as others have suggested, but you'll need to ensure the TV is set to output stereo from its internal TV tuner, as the DAC won't be able to handle any multichannel outputs, and you get no sound.

DrPips

May 11, 2010
Visit site
So I need to look for some sort of setting that will change output sound to stereo rather than 5.1? I don't have standard broadcast TV, just Sky+HD and a blueray player. If I understand you correctly, when playing the Blueray, the sound will automatically output in stereo?

Will the Sky be broadcast TV or will that be stereo as well?

Dom

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you're not going to use the internal tuner in the TV whatsoever, I'd go for a DAC with a couple of optical inputs, and connect the Sky+HD and Blu-ray to those, setting both the Sky box and the BD player to output in stereo.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

I've got a somewhat similar problem here in Ireland. I have a UPC digital box - just installed last week. The box is a PACE MediaBox DC621KU. The TV is a Samsung LE 26B450C4WXXU. The TV is connected to back of box via a red/white phono to the Hi Fi. The Hi Fi is a new panasonic and only has the Music Port - no Aux. So I've connected the cable directly from the MediaBox - audio out - Red/White to Music Port, which is a standard 3.5 jack in. Also has a headphone jack below this, on the front. Have also connected same set-up - except this time directly from TV Audio out - Red/White phono - to same Music Port. (Music Port supports digital). Both play well, good sound etc. BUT, and this is the problem, the Picture is behind the sound (not in sync), and it's just terrible., There is also a Digital out on the MediaBox, but haven't touched this as yet. Have searched through TV Menu and UPC Menu and cannot get an option to sync the two. So any ideas what to do? Still have the older Grey UPC box in bedroom, and though it's not very mod, the synce with the small 15.4" TV is 99% ok. Am fed up buying wires, jacks at this stage - all to no use. on an Irish site, that I use, many people have this problem. Before I contact UPC - maybe you might have some solution. Someone suggested - reducing amps to 100, but how do I do that? No idea where to go from here.

Thank you for your attention.

D

DrPips

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm digging this one up again. I never got round to sorting this out, just ended up using a seperate channel on my hifi amp for sky+ and blu ray. I'm now looking to get one of the little boxes to stream video from my computer, so will need proper audio as well. Are DAC's still the way to go, or has something else taken over? Any recommended brands or models?

Thanks,

Dom

TRENDING THREADS