Contemplating selling my GT50

• Thread starter BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW
  • Start date
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm getting close to the point where I want to sell my Pana GT50.

There are a few reasons for this.

1. I'm totally fed with having to be careful which channels I watch. The Cricket World Cup is on Sky at the moment, but the bold logos, scores etc. are on the screen nearly all the time, and I noticed quite quickly that the images were being retained on the screen, so I've resulted to watching it with Zoom 3, so none of the bold images are on the screen. This is a ridiculous situation.

2. As Plasmas are not going to be made any more, there seems to be a good market for selling them, and I think I could get around £700 - £750 for mine.

The TV I'm considering as it's replacement is the Sony KD-L50W829, which is widely available at £599, and has great reviews. I know the picture won't quite be at my Panas level, but the benefits of not having to worry constantly about image retention outway the slightly reduced picture quality.

The main problem I have is the Pana still has the pink hue on the centre third of the screen, which is clearly visible on white backgrounds, or on black & white films.

So do I ring John Lewis, get the problem of the pink hue fixed, and then sell the tv for £750, keep £150, and spend the rest on the Sony. Or, do I ring JL, and explain the problem, explain that I'm not prepared to live with it anymore, and tell them that I'm prepared to do a straight swap with the Sony, and lose a bit of money for less hassle?

Any thoughts?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Have you got a Plasma Richard? If so, how would you feel about exchanging it for the slightly reduced PQ of a LCD/LED?

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Have you got a Plasma Richard? If so, how would you feel about exchanging it for the slightly reduced PQ of a LCD/LED?
I did it once, I went from the Panasonic 50V20 to a Sony 46hx803, I missed the size of the Panasonic, but like you say it was a lot more reliable. I would say go for the Sony 55-inch at John Lewis it is only £770 and you get a free stand. John Lewis Milton Keynes also have a Samsung plasma used for £800, it's the 51-inch 8500 and comes with a 5 year warranty, I would be tempted to buy that.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I did it once, I went from the Panasonic 50V20 to a Sony 46hx803, I missed the size of the Panasonic, but like you say it was a lot more reliable. I would say go for the Sony 55-inch at John Lewis it is only £770 and you get a free stand. John Lewis Milton Keynes also have a Samsung plasma used for £800, it's the 51-inch 8500 and comes with a 5 year warranty, I would be tempted to buy that.

I think I'l have to talk to JL, but I just wanted to get some opinions.

JL came out before and agreed that the pink hue was visible, so took the tv away for further checking. They then decided that the fault couldn't be photographed, and so wasn't a problem that Panasonic would be prepared to fix, so returned it to me to see if I could live with it. I've decided that I just can not live with it anymore, and if anything, it's getting worse, so the least they would have to do is replace the panel, which is going to cost them a lot more than an exchange. Therefore, I'm probably in a good position to get an exchange, but could I get a partial refund as well as an exchange, or should I try and get the Sony 55" as a straight exchange?

No more Plasmas for me gel, and you know my wife won't accept a Korean tv. *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I think I'l have to talk to JL, but I just wanted to get some opinions.

JL came out before and agreed that the pink hue was visible, so took the tv away for further checking. They then decided that the fault couldn't be photographed, and so wasn't a problem that Panasonic would be prepared to fix, so returned it to me to see if I could live with it. I've decided that I just can not live with it anymore, and if anything, it's getting worse, so the least they would have to do is replace the panel, which is going to cost them a lot more than an exchange. Therefore, I'm probably in a good position to get an exchange, but could I get a partial refund as well as an exchange, or should I try and get the Sony 55" as a straight exchange?

No more Plasmas for me gel, and you know my wife won't accept a Korean tv. *smile*
I would go instore and speak to a manager and explain what has been going on, tell them you want an exchange now, and then go for the Sony 55-inch.

D

Deleted member 2457

Perhaps even take the TV with you and say you want an exchange or part refund too. Say it's in warranty you have reported the TV before and that enough is enough, make sure you are talking to a manager.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I've never taken a TV back to John Lewis but don't they work on a % reduction for working out how much your entitled to in a refund? If you paid £1000 for example and had the TV two - three years they wouldn't offer you £1000, but maybe £600. You might need to see where you stand with this and then make your decision.

The other thing to think about is however buys it is going to be pretty ****** when they find the same issues as you and given that there is a record of it should the register it with JL or Panasonic would you not leave yourself open for a legal claim (i'm no lawyer so have no idea but it's worth considering before selling).

If it were me I'd ask JL to look at it again and replace the panel. A panel replacement when mine was done was about £500, but you might get a panel that works well. If not you can then ask them to swap it out. I wouldn't bank on just accepting that they might agree to a £700 swap. How much did you pay for the TV?

Best of luck either way

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

rocketrazor said:
I've never taken a TV back to John Lewis but don't they work on a % reduction for working out how much your entitled to in a refund? If you paid £1000 for example and had the TV two - three years they wouldn't offer you £1000, but maybe £600. You might need to see where you stand with this and then make your decision.

The other thing to think about is however buys it is going to be pretty ****** when they find the same issues as you and given that there is a record of it should the register it with JL or Panasonic would you not leave yourself open for a legal claim (i'm no lawyer so have no idea but it's worth considering before selling).

If it were me I'd ask JL to look at it again and replace the panel. A panel replacement when mine was done was about £500, but you might get a panel that works well. If not you can then ask them to swap it out. I wouldn't bank on just accepting that they might agree to a £700 swap. How much did you pay for the TV?

As I said above, I would try to get JL to repair the tv before selling it off, as I wouldn't want any come back after selling it.

I paid around a grand, but I'm not sure if it was 2 or 3 years ago, I'm thinking it might be 3. I think that the fact that I reported the problem after just a year, and was persuaded by them to live with it, will help in negotiating how much they'd give me towards an exchange. I'm very stubborn, pig-headed really, when I feel I'm in the right, so whoever receives the phone call from me won't enjoy the experience, though of course, I'll be very polite. The minimum I will accept is a straight exchange for the 50" Sony, but I'll start off at the 55".

If they do suggest a panel replacement, it will (as you said) cost them £500, so an exchange has to be in their financial interest, because they can surely sell this tv on for £600+

I'm off to JL in a while, and will have a good look at the Sony. If it impresses me, I'll either talk to a member of staff/management, or come home and ring JLs customer services department.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
Perhaps even take the TV with you and say you want an exchange or part refund too. Say it's in warranty you have reported the TV before and that enough is enough, make sure you are talking to a manager.

I'm not going to take the tv to the store, but I am going down there, and can hopefully talk to a member of management. I think my original purchase was through their website, so I may have to ring them, we'll see.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

yes, I have a 60" plasma, but it's only a modest Samsung. I've got it looking great as I spent some time with the settings and a calibration disc.

Not really tempted to change as I'm about to go for a pj system in another room and that will become my main movie watching screen.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gel said:

I'm not going to take the tv to the store, but I am going down there, and can hopefully talk to a member of management. I think my original purchase was through their website, so I may have to ring them, we'll see.
It doesn't matter that the original purchase was on the website still go down. I doubt phoning will get you anywhere.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
BB i have a Pioneer Plasma of 7-8 years vintage I had an issue with burn when new, now its not a problem it just does not happen. Give it time.

You really shouldn't have waited for months before reporting to JL (I know you were busy but these things cost money). Their customer service is open extended hours 7 days a week.

I've seen KRPs go for £800, so I think you can expect £600-700 for a non-faulty GT50.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

iQ Speakers said:
BB i have a Pioneer Plasma of 7-8 years vintage I had an issue with burn when new, now its not a problem it just does not happen. Give it time.

I had a Kuro before the GT50, and I never had any problems with it at all, but the Panasonics are a different story. I've had it for 3 years (I think), and even a few seconds of a bright image will stay on the screen for a little while after, and football scores and channel logos are permanently there, though faint because of all the effort I go to to avoid them or clear them once they are there.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I hugely regret selling my Kuro and buying the GT50.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

bigboss said:
LCD technology has come a long way, and I wouldn't mind buying one. That Sony is your best bet.

I had a look at the Sony in JL today, but it was really hard to tell how good it was as it was showing a SD tv programme, with the X Reality Pro demo on half the screen. I much preferred the picture on the side of the tv without the X Reality Pro though, far more natural. I also decided that I'll probably go for the 55", but I can't decide between the silver and black bezel, though it'll probably be the black.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
bigboss said:
LCD technology has come a long way, and I wouldn't mind buying one. That Sony is your best bet.

I had a look at the Sony in JL today, but it was really hard to tell how good it was as it was showing a SD tv programme, with the X Reality Pro demo on half the screen. I much preferred the picture on the side of the tv without the X Reality Pro though, far more natural. I also decided that I'll probably go for the 55", but I can't decide between the silver and black bezel, though it'll probably be the black.
I'd go for black.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I think you'll miss the the picture from your panasonic. Why not look at the last models of panasonic plasma, second hand and should be still in a transferable warranty for the balance. They have the pixel orbitor on them and I have no IR on my VT. Just a thought, if not then the sony is a good move.

D

Deleted member 2457

I think the GT50 has a pixel orbiter too, just doesnt work very well. THX modes disables it too.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
I think the GT50 has a pixel orbiter too, just doesnt work very well. THX modes disables it too.

i don't use THX, just my isf night mode. Although, ive just checked thx mode on mine and its greyed out and set to auto.... Why is this..?

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:

i don't use THX, just my isf night mode. Although, ive just checked thx mode on mine and its greyed out and set to auto.... Why is this..?
I don't know sorry, sounds strange though.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Series1boy said:
I think you'll miss the the picture from your panasonic. Why not look at the last models of panasonic plasma, second hand and should be still in a transferable warranty for the balance. They have the pixel orbitor on them and I have no IR on my VT. Just a thought, if not then the sony is a good move.

The IR is not bad at all, but I couldn't have been more careful, and there is till a trace of it in the top right hand corner. It's the pink hue that's the major problem, but also the fact that I can't relax and watch and programmes with bold logos etc. or play any games, without worrying about the damage I may be doing. I should be able to relax and watch tv, and I could with the Kuro, but having seen a GT50 with horrendous screen burn, I know it could happen with mine, and then it would be worthless.

I have the pixel orbitor too, and I quite often put the tv on the analogue channels to get the fuzzy screen, which definitely helps remove IR, but as much as I've used it, the Sky Sports logo is still faintly viewable on light backgrounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts