Considering upgrade from A&R Cambridge A60 and Rogers Ls3/5a 15ohm to more modern kit - advice please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all

I have been using my amp and speakers for 20+ years and am considering an update! I was thinking of keeping the Rogers and pairing them with either the Rotel RA-10 or the Rega brio-r. Do you think either of these would be a good match or could I do better for similar money? I would also be grateful for your thoughts on whether more modern speakers would be worth considering - without spending too much money I.e perhaps £300 or so.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
A&R A60 ((I own one) to Rotel will be a bit of a shock to the system, so make sure you home dem, or at least bring your kit to the dealer to compare.

Unless you have heard some modestly priced modern speakers you like, Mike, I think you'd be bonkers to ditch your LS3/5as, assuming they are working properly.

No modern amplifier will flinch at 15ohms, and in any case the power handling was always modest, and most newer amps will be 50watts plus, so you'll need to be sensible with the volume control.

I cannot speak specifically for the two amps you list, other than they are well regarded. Don't just think 'best buy' though, as your speakers deserve special treatment and you might well find a modern sound too bright and even brittle (the A60 was never that sparkling when new, I recall). Yours is absolutely a case where a no obligation home dem is mandatory. You could easily spend £1000 on a decent amp for the Rogers speakers.

The nearest of today's spekers would be the KEF LS50, which happens to be an award winner.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
I cannot speak specifically for the two amps you list, other than they are well regarded. Don't just think 'best buy' though, as your speakers deserve special treatment and you might well find a modern sound too bright and even brittle (the A60 was never that sparkling when new, I recall). Yours is absolutely a case where a no obligation home dem is mandatory.

The A60 is a little pipe and slippers....warm, smooth, unfatiguing, comfortable, musical and inoffensive, but will never set the world alight.

Happy New Year to you NP.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Cno

Thanks, Cno, and to you too.

I'd forgotten you had one, so glad I wasn't rude about it, as I'd not seen your reply when I was writing mine! Glad that Mike has at least got a similar opinion from two of us about being careful when leaping forward 20+ years.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
Thanks, Cno, and to you too.

I'd forgotten you had one, so glad I wasn't rude about it, as I'd not seen your reply when I was writing mine! Glad that Mike has at least got a similar opinion from two of us about being careful when leaping forward 20+ years.

I don't use it any more.....one of my sons has it to play games through! :O

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
I'd have thought a modern amp might struggle with a 15Ohm speaker, most modern speakers are only 8Ohms at most, not sure how they'd react to a load like that.
?????????? Why

I dunno, just guessing, as you don't see too many 15Ohm speakers any more, so I presume there's a reason for that...

T

the record spot

The Rogers website lists them at 11 ohms, but can be used with any amp from 25-100 ways. I'd aim high personally but it's not just about Watts.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
I'd have thought a modern amp might struggle with a 15Ohm speaker, most modern speakers are only 8Ohms at most, not sure how they'd react to a load like that.
?????????? Why

I dunno, just guessing, as you don't see too many 15Ohm speakers any more, so I presume there's a reason for that...
It doesn't matter really, most amplifiers will be happy with 4 ohms right through to an open circuit. You just have to remember that the wattage figures for most amplifiers is quoted for an 8 ohm load, with 16 ohms you'll get approximately half the watts cos the amp doesn't have the voltage swing for 16 ohm load.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
?????????? Why

It doesn't matter really, most amplifiers will be happy with 4 ohms right through to an open circuit. You just have to remember that the wattage figures for most amplifiers is quoted for an 8 ohm load, with 16 ohms you'll get approximately half the watts cos the amp doesn't have the voltage swing for 16 ohm load.

I sometimes wish people would make at least the effort to read up and learn a little bit about their hobby. No offense to The LHC, there are many on here.

I have heard 'I dont do technical' a few times, even from folks that regularely 'give advise' here. - I am no qualified electronics expert myself but find that knowing a little about why certain things work the way they do a/ helps giving advise, if needed and b/ can prevent certain costly mistakes.

Its an interesting hobby of ours and it gets more so the more you learn about it.

regards

A

Anonymous

Hi Mike

I don't dislike classic/vintage hifi kit and fully acknowledge that kit of yesteryear can sound just as good or superior to modern kit. However, were the LS3/5a ever that good? I'd be inclined to go see what modern speakers sound like.

An extract of a review from Hifi Choice from 1986/87:

The LS3/5a has consistently done well in previous live-versus-recorded sessions and fairly well on analogue-programme sources. However, with digital material, problems which were only hinted by analogue material were now clearly apparent, making the design sound more dated. Several areas attracted criticism - the bass lacked extension and sounded 'boomy' in the upper bass register, while the mid had a noticeably 'hard', 'nasal' quality and the treble seemed forward with a grainy, 'zitty' effect at the extreme top end. Some 'tubby', wooden and boxy colorations were also evident, with only moderate rendition of stereo depth.

However, it continued however to provide good voice detail and articulation, with a reasonably accurate tonal balance. Comparison between the Goodmans and Spendor versions showed great similarity while a much older model from Audiomaster (no longer in production) sounded slightly dimmer by comparison, with less mid nasality. However the difference was small by speaker standards

Conclusion

At risk of offending the BBC, we feel that the 3/5A is due for a revision; as a working broadcast tool it no-doubt does its job, but as a piece of value engineering it is beginning to fall behind. Other speakers have shown a progressive reduction in price as well as an improvement in sound quality, but the LS3/5a has steadily increased in price more or less in line with inflation. Nevertheless, on the most recent listening test the LS3/5a scores were sufficient to retain recommendation!'

A

Anonymous

Dear all

Thank you so much for all your thoughts and comments - I think the way forward will be to find a good hi if store and take my Rogers speakers with me and try them and some modern speakers with various amps and see how I get on!

If anyone has any further thoughts I would welcome them.

Best wishes and a happy New Year.

Mike

A

Anonymous

Mike, please post back after your demos your findings in comparing the LS3/5as to modern speakers!

A

Anonymous

Dear all

Following your helpful thoughts I auditioned the following on Friday: Rega Brio-r, Arcam FMJ A19, Marantz cd6004, Rega Rp1, Kef LS50 and my old Roger Ls3/5a speakers. What an inert sting and enlightening time my son and I had! We had the chance to here both amps back to back with my Rogers and the Kefs. I was rather disappointed with the Rega brio and thought it sounded a little flat and lacking in detail; the Arcam sounded more transparent and detailed - you must excuse my terminology as I find it difficult to translate what I heard into words! It was suggested that we swop the rega deck for the project debut carbon and the difference was immediately apparent with a clearer more detailed sound. With the music I had taken I thought my Rogers were holding up well against the kerfs until it was suggested that we listen to Chris Jones "no sanctuary here" - wow the difference between my Rogers and the kefs lept out at me with the kegs delivering a much cleaner more focused sound with each instrument clearly placed on the "stage". I had always loved my rogers but I have had to get a divorce!

I am now the very proud owner of the Arcam, Kefs, Project Debut Carbon and the Marantz and will be looking to sell my Rogers on eBay - the have served me really well and I will be sorry to see them go but From my inexperienced listening perspective it seems that speakers have moved on.

Many thanks for all your original thoughts.

Kind regards

Mike

Mike, thanks for the update, and so glad you listened to some options. I'm sure your A19 and LS50s will sound geat, and get even better as they run in.

I hope you get a good price for your Rogers speakers - they are a real vintage item nowadays.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts