Considering Arcam sa20

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
For TV duty optical is generally a monumental pain in the a**e. If a new amp has an HDMI save the BDSM for the bedroom and use it. Also, many TVs like mine have the optical port located at the rear. For those who've wall mounted it like I have accessing it is pain.
Don't the TVs have an analogue output? Or is it absolutely necessary to use an amp with an inbuilt DAC?

manicm

Define faff around. It would appear using optical out may cause issues and many stereo amplifiers don't use HDMI, so stop faffing and buy an AV amp.
Simples....

Many don't want a full blown AV amp, but would appreciate an HDMI port to connect their TV to. Optical is fine, until you're a serial YouTube viewer like I am, and then start juggling remotes. I got around this by getting a OneForAll universal remote. But it's still a nuisance. If any hifi company adds a HDMI port to their amp, God bless their soul.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about - YouTube is not the same as watching movies/Blu-ray/DVDs, because there are ads that you'd want to skip, and you'll often want to change volume because said ads are loud, and incidental/background music within videos are 99% not normalised - you're jolted and then have to quickly find the remote.

With HDMI you just need the TV remote control and voila - all is well with the world, war or not.

Reactions: Al ears
Many don't want a full blown AV amp, but would appreciate an HDMI port to connect their TV to. Optical is fine, until you're a serial YouTube viewer like I am, and then start juggling remotes. I got around this by getting a OneForAll universal remote. But it's still a nuisance. If any hifi company adds a HDMI port to their amp, God bless their soul.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about - YouTube is not the same as watching movies/Blu-ray/DVDs, because there are ads that you'd want to skip, and you'll often want to change volume because said ads are loud, and incidental/background music within videos are 99% not normalised - you're jolted and then have to quickly find the remote.

With HDMI you just need the TV remote control and voila - all is well with the world, war or not.
thanks for the update.
Didn't realise watching YouTube was such a pain but then I only use it on my tablet and don't need it to go through my hifi system.
Perhaps some amp manufacturers might, some day, consider fitting HDMI but as far as I am aware at the present time it's only seen as an AV amp fixture.

Witterings

I'm sure if the manufactureres felt this was something that was going to seperate them from the competition and scoop up most of the sales for the next year or so flooring their opposition they would have done it, the fact they haven't I'm guessing their market research suggests it isn't.

I actually think it'd be detrimental to their sales, people buying a dedicated stereo amp are buying it for that exact reason and believe that the investment and development of the product has been concentrated on improving stereo performance …. Not throwing in bells and whistles to a market that’s heavily catered for with AV’s.

If you do want an amp with HDMI, as suggested why not have a look at the Cyrus One Cast, it was so in demand due to the HDMI they've just halved the price of them.

I'm sure if the manufactureres felt this was something that was going to seperate them from the competition and scoop up most of the sales for the next year or so flooring their opposition they would have done it, the fact they haven't I'm guessing their market research suggests it isn't.

I actually think it'd be detrimental to their sales, people buying a dedicated stereo amp are buying it for that exact reason and believe that the investment and development of the product has been concentrated on improving stereo performance …. Not throwing in bells and whistles to a market that’s heavily catered for with AV’s.

If you do want an amp with HDMI, as suggested why not have a look at the Cyrus One Cast, it was so in demand due to the HDMI they've just halved the price of them.
I wasn't aware it had HDMI, thanks for clarification

The One

Aug 31, 2022
Visit site
Denon is on the bright side of neutral. I think not a good choice with metal tweeters. Very lively. Volumeknob too sensitive. My choice would be the arcam.

robdmarsh

Denon is on the bright side of neutral. I think not a good choice with metal tweeters. Very lively. Volumeknob too sensitive. My choice would be the arcam.
No, Denon marries brilliantly with the metal tweeters on my Triangle speakers. I think it depends on the metal tweeters but not all of them are bright. I don't think the pma 800ne or 1600ne amps are too lively either, if anything they have a muscly but at the same time quite laid back sound if that makes sense.

Reactions: RoA
The Cyrus ONE Cast is a streamer/amplifier. They are all dedicated 2 channel amps regardless of streaming capabilities.

Having read the specs on the ONE Cast, it seems like Cyrus have thrown the kitchen sink at it, but it's not strictly a full-blown streamer/amp. Makes you wonder, with that retail price, where the compromises are.

Just my view.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts