Considering Arcam sa20

manicm

Class G, according to Arcam's claims, operates in pure Class A until about 15w (or thereabouts) of power is being used, thereafter it seamlessly switches to class A/B.

So it should serve the best of both worlds - discernible sound quality at low volumes, and having headroom at higher volumes.

Reactions: Al ears

robdmarsh

I heard one at a dealers. Oddly heard the Rega Elex-R at the same time. Prefer - slightly - the Arcam. It will ultimately boil down to the type of speaker used. At the dealers he was using Focal floorstanders
My speakers have titanium dome tweeters, which some say are bright sounding, but I think a lot of these "some people" have not heard the tweeters on this range of speakers. I have never heard them sound edgy or bright in my system.

Last edited:

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
If you get one at a good price, you should be able to re-sell without loosing much.

In some ways it sounds different to the Audiolab so if you don't like one you may like the other.

I appreciate both for different reasons.

robdmarsh

I'm probably crazy to want to try this as the sound I have now is so likable in many ways. I can listen for hours and never get tired but then it's not just a sit back relax performer either. It can sound seriously punchy too.
One thing I've noticed about it is that the Iron core transformer presents no issues whatsoever, no hum or buzz, just a solid reliable quiet background for the music to emerge from.The Audiolab emitted a hum I was never able to get rid of and other owners complained of the same. Toroidal transformers are thought of as superior and the solid cores as their inferior cousins. Not in my experience. Interesting that Denon uses solid core transformers right through their range right up to the A110 integrated. The Denon is ridiculously good for the £450 rrp, and off the charts for the steal price I paid for it.

I'm probably crazy to want to try this as the sound I have now is so likable in many ways. I can listen for hours and never get tired but then it's not just a sit back relax performer either. It can sound seriously punchy too.
One thing I've noticed about it is that the Iron core transformer presents no issues whatsoever, no hum or buzz, just a solid reliable quiet background for the music to emerge from.The Audiolab emitted a hum I was never able to get rid of and other owners complained of the same. Toroidal transformers are thought of as superior and the solid cores as their inferior cousins. Not in my experience. Interesting that Denon uses solid core transformers right through their range right up to the A110 integrated. The Denon is ridiculously good for the £450 rrp, and off the charts for the steal price I paid for it.
If you like the Denon presentation, save your pennies and go up the ladder.

Reactions: WayneKerr

robdmarsh

Rob, if you adore the Denon sound so much why don't you wait and upgrade to the 1600 when funds permit?
Size... it really is too big to accommodate. I'd have to get a new media whatnot and I like my current one.
Otherwise, of course, you've got a point. I reckon a 1600ne can be had for about £650 with a bit of haggling... oh, the thought of it.

Last edited:

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
If it's any help I've just this week got my hands on the A29, probably similar to what you are looking at.

I'm impressed with it, this thing keeps it's composure no matter how loud I turn it up, and as I live in a detached house that can go loud on occasion. How would I describe the sound, very detailed with no harshness. The sound stage is great also, there seems to be a nice amount of space between the instruments. It maybe could do with a little more excitement if I was looking for a fault but you can't have everything.

It's been on for about 5 hours today and I don't feel fatigue in any way, I only turned it off because the family came home. All told fir £285 it's a bargain. I'd say take a punt and move it on if you're not happy. Am early Christmas gift to yourself.

Regards

robdmarsh

If it's any help I've just this week got my hands on the A29, probably similar to what you are looking at.

I'm impressed with it, this thing keeps it's composure no matter how loud I turn it up, and as I live in a detached house that can go loud on occasion. How would I describe the sound, very detailed with no harshness. The sound stage is great also, there seems to be a nice amount of space between the instruments. It maybe could do with a little more excitement if I was looking for a fault but you can't have everything.

It's been on for about 5 hours today and I don't feel fatigue in any way, I only turned it off because the family came home. All told fir £285 it's a bargain. I'd say take a punt and move it on if you're not happy. Am early Christmas gift to yourself.

Regards
Sounds good. There's an fmj A39 on the well-known auction site now. Wonder how it compares. Well, supposed to be very good. Two problems: very big and no internal DAC.

Last edited:

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I think we are getting cross wires. The A29 is, I was referring to the A39 being to deep for my unit.

One last thing I'll say, is the vocals seem very natural with Arcam almost like they are in the room, it all sounds very natural to me anyway.

WayneKerr

Size... it really is too big to accommodate. I'd have to get a new media whatnot and I like my current one.
Otherwise, of course, you've got a point. I reckon a 1600ne can be had for about £650 with a bit of haggling... oh, the thought of it.
Aah, I see. I guess you are referring to depth of the 1600. I was in the same predicament re upgrading to the next Marantz, in the end I just took the back off the media unit :) It was sooo worth it. Current amp and CDP overhang by about 2" at the back, didn't even have space for banana plugs so had to go with spades instead :)

robdmarsh

Aah, I see. I guess you are referring to depth of the 1600. I was in the same predicament re upgrading to the next Marantz, in the end I just took the back off the media unit :) It was sooo worth it. Current amp and CDP overhang by about 2" at the back, didn't even have space for banana plugs so had to go with spades instead :)
Which Marantz, the pm 8006?

robdmarsh

Steady on! ;)The 1600 would be plenty of amp for me. The 800ne is already excellent for a budget amp. I've heard not good reports about Hyperfi - you click on their products and those prices don't materialise

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts