Connection questions

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Well all the bits for my HC finally turned up and had the time today to set it all up.I've got it up and running now but I have a question re. my original connections. This is how I did it at the start.

From my BDP (Marantz BD5004) HDMI to the amp (Marantz NR1501)

Sky HD - Samsung LED TV via HDMI. I also connected the sky box to the amp via Optical. (With a view to watching day to day TV with TV sound & films etc through the amp.

BUT it acted up. I could watch TV as normal and also get the sound via the amp. When I switched HDMI inputs to watch blu-ray nothing would come up on screen or audio and when I pressed play on BDP remote the TV switched HDMI to the sky box.

This was doing my head in for over an hour, the only possible problem connection must be the optical lead (but surely that only carries sound from sky to amp). Anyway removed and everything now works fine, albeiit I no longer have an audio connection from SKY to amp.

After dragging everything out removing the lead the heaving it all back in I thought maybe if I had poweedr off the sky box the original connections I tried would not have worked against each other the way they did). What do you reckon. Were my original connections wrong ?

Sorry for this ramble I wrote it and I'm confused.

I suppose I could put the sky hdmi through the amp but I'd like to be able to watch TV without always having to put on the amp.

BTW have only watched Sherlock Holmes and my BR5s seem to go pretty deep (still waiting for Monitor Audio to supply SW). However not entirely impressed with the supposed 5.1. Are there any benchmark discs that show off surround effects ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts