Connecting everything via Wi-Fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have just moved house and in the study site the wirless router, I dont want to run cables all over the house so what is the best way to connect my xbox, tv, blu-ray (all use ethernet) to the network?

I have looked at some wirless access points cuch as the Edimax EW-7416APn but its a bit vague if I can so this. I planned on using it in conjuntion with a 4 port switch/hub and turn all the living room av stuff wirless, is this the right way to do it? I guess the only other way is a load of wirless dongles...which would be more expensive.

thanks for any advice

Mike

A

Anonymous

Use Powerline ethernet plugs to hook up the lot to your router. One plug next to router and then site one next to each device that you wish to network - it's easy. Save your Wi fi bandwidth and counter and wi fi range issues whilst minimising cable runs - although you can add in wirless extenders via powerline too.

I use Devolo units, but belkin etc are all good.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No great fan of Powerline networking, but if all your components to be connected are in the same general area, but away from your main wireless router, you could either use a single Powerline connection from the router to an inexpensive multiport network switch where your components are, then connect Ethernet cables from that to all the 'bits', or run a single Ethernet cable from router to that switch. You can buy thin, or even flat, Ethernet cables which are easy to hide away.

Yes, you could buy a wireless hub to do the job, talking to your router via 802.11 wi-fi, but you may be prone to network drop-outs. I've recently dewified most of my system in favour of cable and a eight-port switch hung on a single wire off my router, and haven't had a drop-out since. Wi-fi is now only used for laptops and the iPod Touch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts