Connecting Bluesound Node 2i to KEF LS50 wireless

1russianguy

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
What would be the best way to connect the node 2i to the active KEF LS50 wireless speakers? optical out or RCA out?

I think that optical out to the speakers would bypass the onboard DAC in the Node 2i and Tidal MQA unfolding would max out at 24/96. RCA out would utilize the onboard MQA-certified DAC in the Node 2 and Tidal MQA files would unfold to a max of 24/192. Thinking the optical out would be cleaner and MQA isn't a big deal for me.. thoughts?

Jimboo

I don't think you can override the DAC in the kefs. Some have added DACs into the chain and swear it is better. The speakers sound fine without DAC add ons.
So ,just plug it in.

Jimboo

If the DAC in the Kef converts the signal what's the difference?
If you hear one connection sounds better to you then that's your choice. Whatever is plugged in is treated the same way.

1russianguy

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
If the DAC in the Kef converts the signal what's the difference?
If you hear one connection sounds better to you then that's your choice. Whatever is plugged in is treated the same way.
Wouldn't the optical toslink connection be cleaner, since it's digital, vs the analog RCA's? don't feel like spending the extra money on cables if I'm not going to use them.

Jimboo

I cannot remember the science exactly , there is loads of views if you Google LS50W and external DAC. Something happens but it's a moot point. Anyhoo, whatever goes into the speaker irrespective of the source/connection it is dealt with and processed in the same way. You don't need fancy cables.

Reactions: 1russianguy

ast2312

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I think everything has been said. I did experience similar options when I had a Bluesound but I was going into an amp with a dac. In the end I tested coaxial out versus digital out and preferred the conversion in the amp. I guess it’s something similar but it looks like the Kef’s will still do something to the signal. I would just advise (as other) it’s a bit of trial and error.

TRENDING THREADS