Question Tidal MQA via Bluesound Node and DAC

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
As stated elsewhere, I've recently purchased the Cambridge DAC Magic 200M... I was having second thoughts, being unsure whether there would be a noticable improvement - but I'm happy to say: It was definitely worth it! It elevates my Marantz CD 6006 to entirely new levels!

What I struggle with so far, though, is the Bluesound Node: I'm subscribed to MQA plan of Tidal, which I stream through the Node, which passes the signal via digital coax cable to the DAC Magic - but according to the lights on the DAC Magic quality doesn't go beyond an 88.2 sample rate. I've checked all the settings but nothing seems to work.

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
Check the Node settings or specification for the coax output.

So is the Node decoding the MQA stream before passing it to the Cambridge ?
always goingb to be a potential issue when you have more than one dac in the system.

Thank you both! I did another round of digging, based on your suggestions. Turns out that there is - well hidden - how-to on this question in the Bluesound help pages.

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
Did it work?

Yes - at least according to the DAC Magic's light show (a careful listening evaluation has not yet been possible on account of my toddler 😃). The procedure Node-side is not really intuitive, though: The last toggle on the list is greyed out until all the steps before have been performed. I wonder why they don't reverse the process (last toggle does all the necessary switching)... no one could possibly come to this solution by themselves.

Yes - at least according to the DAC Magic's light show (a careful listening evaluation has not yet been possible on account of my toddler 😃). The procedure Node-side is not really intuitive, though: The last toggle on the list is greyed out until all the steps before have been performed. I wonder why they don't reverse the process (last toggle does all the necessary switching)... no one could possibly come to this solution by themselves.
One reason I don't stream.... :)
When I want to listen to music I know exactly where its coming from and in what resolution..

Reactions: Dom

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
One reason I don't stream.... :)
When I want to listen to music I know exactly where its coming from and in what resolution..

Well, I use streaming mostly as a sort of "pre-listening" thing... If I find myself to keep coming back to a specific record on Tidal, I tend to eventually buy the record (physical format, mostly).

Reactions: Dom

TRENDING THREADS