Question Connecting Active Subwoofer to Musical Fidelity M8Xi

IntermediateWater

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone,

As you can tell, still bit of an audio noob here. I'm currently upgrading to my 'endgame' setup which may be entry level to some, but to me is quite up there. Anyways I digress.

I'm currently upgrading to a pair of JBL HDI3800 as my speakers and pairing it up with the Musical Fidelity M8Xi.

I've heard criticism that the JBL 3800 have a lack of lower bass extension, so I figure I may as well add a subwoofer to this setup.

My main question is, since the M8Xi has such unique engineering with the dual mono block amps, etc. I've read in a what-hi-fi review that it's dangerous to simply connect any sort of powered device (powered sub, speakers, etc) since it may short circuit the sub. I'm just wondering will it be possible to plug in a powered sub to this set-up at all?

Thanks for all the help!

ps: this is the review I mentioned https://www.whathifi.com/au/reviews/musical-fidelity-m8xi

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Have you had a demo of the Mf amp and jbl speakers, I wouldn't part with a penny until I listened to the kit at this price point, If you are just buying based on reviews, you're heading for a world of dissatisfaction and lost cash due to a wave of box swapping...oh and I really have my doubts about the jbl's requiring a helping hand **** right from a sub unless you really crave the deepest bass. I'd connect one using the high level cable provided by the rel subs though. It shouldn't cause any damage as the sub just takes the signal being fed to the speakers and amplifies it through it's on-board amplifier, AFAIK it's class d amplifiers that are problematic to subwoofers.

Last edited:

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone,

As you can tell, still bit of an audio noob here. I'm currently upgrading to my 'endgame' setup which may be entry level to some, but to me is quite up there. Anyways I digress.

I'm currently upgrading to a pair of JBL HDI3800 as my speakers and pairing it up with the Musical Fidelity M8Xi.

I've heard criticism that the JBL 3800 have a lack of lower bass extension, so I figure I may as well add a subwoofer to this setup.

My main question is, since the M8Xi has such unique engineering with the dual mono block amps, etc. I've read in a what-hi-fi review that it's dangerous to simply connect any sort of powered device (powered sub, speakers, etc) since it may short circuit the sub. I'm just wondering will it be possible to plug in a powered sub to this set-up at all?

Thanks for all the help!

ps: this is the review I mentioned https://www.whathifi.com/au/reviews/musical-fidelity-m8xi

Hello,
First of all, I'd like to say that I love the look of the amp :)

There is no need to worry about connecting a powered subwoofer.

[Taken from the review]
The rear panel also has both line outputs and pre-outputs, one of which gives a fixed voltage signal and the other a volume-controlled one, so if you did want to connect a powered subwoofer, this would be the place to do it.

Mike

IntermediateWater

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Have you had a demo of the Mf amp and jbl speakers, I wouldn't part with a penny until I listened to the kit at this price point, If you are just buying based on reviews, you're heading for a world of dissatisfaction and lost cash due to a wave of box swapping...oh and I really have my doubts about the jbl's requiring a helping hand **** right from a sub unless you really crave the deepest bass. I'd connect one using the high level cable provided by the rel subs though. It shouldn't cause any damage as the sub just takes the signal being fed to the speakers and amplifies it through it's on-board amplifier, AFAIK it's class d amplifiers that are problematic to subwoofers.

Hi there,

Firstly, thanks for the response!

I have indeed gone into my distributor's store to have a demo of the JBL 3800s. They definitely have the sound signature that I desire. Much more laid back, hard punching mid bass. But I did notice as well as read in reviews that the speakers do not extend bass very far down. I would like to add some subs to round out the overall sound, especially when I watch movies.

I'm no theatre guy, my set up is primarily 80% for music, but I do watch movies the other 20% of the time and I think adding a pair of SVS SV 2000s would be a nice addition.

IntermediateWater

Sep 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello,
First of all, I'd like to say that I love the look of the amp :)

There is no need to worry about connecting a powered subwoofer.

[Taken from the review]
The rear panel also has both line outputs and pre-outputs, one of which gives a fixed voltage signal and the other a volume-controlled one, so if you did want to connect a powered subwoofer, this would be the place to do it.

Mike
Wow, I must have skimped right over that part... Thanks for pointing that out!

I was just wondering, I will be getting two SVS-SB2000 pro subwoofers I will be connecting Subwoofer A into the PRE-OUT of the M8Xi then I will connect Subwoofer B into the output of Subwoofer A.

I will set the LFE of the Subwoofers to 40hz as the lowest the JBL3800 goes is 37hz. I am thinking of cutting it off at 80hz,but I'm not sure if that's too high.

If that makes sense. I would love your input on this!

Thanks

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Wow, I must have skimped right over that part... Thanks for pointing that out!

I was just wondering, I will be getting two SVS-SB2000 pro subwoofers I will be connecting Subwoofer A into the PRE-OUT of the M8Xi then I will connect Subwoofer B into the output of Subwoofer A.

I will set the LFE of the Subwoofers to 40hz as the lowest the JBL3800 goes is 37hz. I am thinking of cutting it off at 80hz,but I'm not sure if that's too high.

If that makes sense. I would love your input on this!

Thanks

Hello again,
I was going to suggest that two subwoofers sounds like overkill and that you should really demo the JBLs first, but I see that you already have.
Personally I am not a fan of subwoofers in hifi systems (though I love them in theatre setups)

See if you can get a demo with the subwoofer. Then try one at home.
Want more?
Then buy another.

A question..... Just how BIG is your room?

Like you. I do like my bass (Loved my Realistic Mach 1s)
I had a subwoofer to go with my Mission 775s and after replacing those speakers with a pair of Tannoy Revolution XT8Fs, I find them with enough extension.

I mention this, as the last thing you will want is too much bass. It will spoil your listening pleasure and those speakers are not cheap!

Good luck

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am a little puzzled by the specs on your JBL floor standers as they appear to go down to 37hz but you say that they sound bass light.

Subs for music based systems can sound excellent if - they can produce good, tuneful bass (not thumping one note) and are well integrated with the main speakers. This 2nd issue can be difficult if there is no way of ‘high passing’ your JBLs (don’t think the amp will do it, despite its otherwise excellent specs). This leaves you setting your sub/s to just below or just above your JBLs (around 40hz).

Setting subs to 50hz or higher is common when the main speakers are small stand mounts or you have a way of high passing them. I use a sub that operates up to 80hz as my main speakers are high passed to only handle frequencies at or above this.

If you set your sub/s to 80hz or similar with your JBLs, I don’t think you’re going to like the sound - it will have a mushy bass boom due to the big overlap between sub and mains.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts