Connecting a Wii to Onkyo TX-SR308

deanchri

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

I recently bought a Wii and tried connecting to my surround sound and tv via Onkyo308 receiver. I can get sound through the receiver (via composite supplied by Wii) but no video to tv. Only way I can get video is if I connect composite direct to tv.

I've read a few threads on this forum and it seems that my Onkyo will not take the Wii composite signal in and send out of receiver via HDMI? From what I'm reading it seems that the best solution may be to send audio to receiver via red and white composite and take the yellow cable direct to tv to get the video?

I have my tv mounted on the wall with all my cables buried inside the wall so its a nice neat job. Didn't really want to have a Wii cable hanging down the wall from TV to receiver. Just thought I'd ask some of you experts out there - Is this the only way I can do it???

Many Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, looking at the Onkyo TX-SR308 manual, it doesn't have the upconvert facility whereby analogue inputs are upconverted so they can be output via the HDMI output. As a result, if you want to connect the Wii to the Onkyo for video switching, you'd also need a composite cable going from the Onkyo to the TV to carry the video.

The other choice is as you've done i.e. connecting the Wii directly to the TV for video. If the Wii is the only source using composite, then this is probably your best bet unless you find you're having issues with the sound not being in sync with the video.

deanchri

Dec 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Professor hat,

Just noticed that I have a composite to scart adaptor in the Wii box. I also know that you can get scart to HDMI adaptor so do you think its poss to adapt the composite signal in this way so that I'm sending Wii signal into receiver via HDMI??????

See link below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCART-HDMI-CONVERTER-UPSCALE-SKY-Wii-DVD-720p-HD-/120541400870?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_VideoSwitches_SM&hash=item1c10d3cf26

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Certainly looks possible - no idea what the picture would look like after all that though...

Still, looks like they offer a money back guarantee on that Neet box so if it looks awful you can always get a refund.

A

Anonymous

I would highly recommend using a component cable rather than the composite cable supplied with the Wii. The picture will be far better and I think it supports 480p as opposed to 480i. I think the official cable is around £18 pounds but I remember it being well worth the money when I bought mine.

Edit:

Just realised you're cables are buried in the wall so I'm guessing this might not be an option.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Stereolad:
I would highly recommend using a component cable rather than the composite cable supplied with the Wii. The picture will be far better and I think it supports 480p as opposed to 480i. I think the official cable is around £18 pounds but I remember it being well worth the money when I bought mine.

Edit:

Just realised you're cables are buried in the wall so I'm guessing this might not be an option.

Though using something like this in conjunction would allow it in a similar method to the composite to HDMI converter.

TRENDING THREADS