Connecting a laptop to TV via HDMI

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a laptop which only have a VGA port. I thought it was DVI or DVI-D but it's a very small connector and my HDMI to DVI cable doesn't fit.

I'm currently trawling ebay cable shops but can't find anything that would work.

Is there an option out there that would enable me to connect my lappy to the plasma?

Any ideas?

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Think this is what you will need. Your TV should have a 15 pin PC connector on the back somewhere. Connect the laptop to the TV via the cable then it should be a case of pressing the Fn key & another on the laptop to divert the display to the TV and choose the correct input on the TV. Make the connections witht he tv switched off. The laptop should be ok to connect with it running. make sure the laptop display does not exceed the TV in resolution eg 1024x768 and the refresh rate is not too high around 60- 70 hz

sc00bie

A

Anonymous

Sc00bied00:

Think this is what you will need. Your TV should have a 15 pin PC connector on the back somewhere. Connect the laptop to the TV via the cable then it should be a case of pressing the Fn key & another on the laptop to divert the display to the TV and choose the correct input on the TV. Make the connections witht he tv switched off. The laptop should be ok to connect with it running. make sure the laptop display does not exceed the TV in resolution eg 1024x768 and the refresh rate is not too high around 60- 70 hz

sc00bie

I agree - by far the easiest and cheapest way

A

Anonymous

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Those VGA to HDMI cables still look scarce and expensive atm.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Finally received my VGA to HDMI cable today. I've connected it to my tv but cannot see anything on the plasma screen.

Is there anything I need to tell my laptop that the video and sound signals should be going out of the VGA port?

I found nothing in my tv user manual so far.
emotion-7.gif

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Momo72,

Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I didn't think you could get a digital signal out of what is an analogue VGA connection?

What you need is a vga to a vga cable as mentioned before..... only if you have a vga socket on your Panasonic.

I've got an older pioneer plasma and I simple use the vga cable directly into the vga port on the media box of the telly.

My Vaio laptop recognises I've plugged it in and immediately switches over.

If on the otherhand, your laptop has a DVI or DVI-D output, then you can get a DVI to HDMI cable and it'll work that way.

Hope this helps.

Bob

A

Anonymous

Thanks Bob.

What's the difference between DVI and DVI-D? (visually)

bobshek

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
No difference visually.

DVI-D just allows for the HDCP encryption to be sent whereas plain DVI doesn't.

Stops (tries to!) piracy basically as the industry didn't want unencrypted high definition data to be sent over a cable where naughty people could simply rip it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts