Connect a CD player (Marantz CD6005) directly to a power amp (MC 2100 or MC 2200)

alessio_m

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for the noob question…

I'm just entering the world of hi-fi, so i don't have all the pieces in place (literally and figuratively…)

What i already have is a Marantz CD6005 cd player and was considering a McIntosh MC 2100 or MC 2200

I still don't have a preamp (right now i'm using a couple of powered studio monitor)

Since both the MC 2100 and MC 2200 have gain potentiometers i was told i could connect the player directly to them (until i don't get a proper pre amp)

Is that correct?

alessio_m said:

I'm just entering the world of hi-fi, so i don't have all the pieces in place (literally and figuratively…)

What i already have is a Marantz CD6005 cd player and was considering a McIntosh MC 2100 or MC 2200

I still don't have a preamp (right now i'm using a couple of powered studio monitor)

Since both the MC 2100 and MC 2200 have gain potentiometers i was told i could connect the player directly to them (until i don't get a proper pre amp)

Is that correct?

Who told you? I don't know anyone on this forum that has ever admitted owning one. Is there not a McIntosh forum?

Is that CD player all you are ever going to connect? Why those McIntoshes and not an integrated one? They are both ancient and probably could do with a service

alessio_m

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Yes i would only connect that CD player

For what i understand, CD players ouput a signal which is strong enough to get directly into a power amp

But someone else (not from this forum *biggrin*) also told me the CD player must be a 'amplified' model (hope it's the right term, maybe it's 'powered'…), that not every CD player could be connected directly to a power amp, because if it's not an 'amplified' model the power amp wouldn't get sufficent signal to power

So, what i thought was a dead simple question appears to be a little bit more complex…

About why those McIntosh models… well, there seem to be people around saying great things about them (actually, there seems to be people around saying great things about everything McIntosh, but i guess you already know that)

alessio_m said:
Yes i would only connect that CD player

For what i understand, CD players ouput a signal which is strong enough to get directly into a power amp

But someone else (not from this forum *biggrin*) also told me the CD player must be a 'amplified' model (hope it's the right term, maybe it's 'powered'…), that not every CD player could be connected directly to a power amp, because if it's not an 'amplified' model the power amp wouldn't get sufficent signal to power

So, what i thought was a dead simple question appears to be a little bit more complex…

About why those McIntosh models… well, there seem to be people around saying great things about them (actually, there seems to be people around saying great things about everything McIntosh, but i guess you already know that)

I guess I did. Old McIntosh amps are much sought after and therefore expensive. If you really must have one then I'd suggest looking for an integrated amp of theirs (one that has the preamp built in) rather than a power amp alone, it will be a lot more useful and often easier to sell on if you ever need to.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
alessio_m said:

Is that correct?

As far as I am aware, the MC2100 does bot have accessible level controls, though the MC2200 does.

It should be quite feasable to run the CD player through the MC2200 using the front panel level controls. One caveat, it is quite possible in setups like this for the switch on 'thump' from the CD player, if there is one, to be very heavily amplified, ideally only switch the player on or off when the power amp is off.

BTW. As a short term solution a simple passive pre-amp such as the Schiit Sys will work well.

alessio_m

Oct 10, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
If you really must have one then I'd suggest looking for an integrated amp of theirs (one that has the preamp built in) rather than a power amp alone, it will be a lot more useful and often easier to sell on if you ever need to.

Sure, but this will much likely only be a momentary situation (i mean, no pre), i'll be adding it later (at least, if won't find out it's not really necessay *biggrin*)

davedotco said:
It should be quite feasable to run the CD player through the MC2200 using the front panel level controls. One caveat, it is quite possible in setups like this for the switch on 'thump' from the CD player, if there is one, to be very heavily amplified, ideally only switch the player on or off when the power amp is off.

Thank you! That really helps and that little box you suggested is VERY sweet, i'll definitely take it into consideration

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts