Connect 3.5mm DAP to car USB?

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
Hi all...!

I've given a friend my old A&K Jr DAP for use in his car (A 2015 Honda HR-V). The problem is that the Honda only has USB inputs and not 3.5mm jack AUX socket. The A&K Jr will not work via bluetooth... (The car will not recognise the A&K...)

Is there some way of connecting the 3.5mm jack to a USB port?

Thanks,

Rob

camcroft

Hi all...!

I've given a friend my old A&K Jr DAP for use in his car (A 2015 Honda HR-V). The problem is that the Honda only has USB inputs and not 3.5mm jack AUX socket. The A&K Jr will not work via bluetooth... (The car will not recognise the A&K...)

Is there some way of connecting the 3.5mm jack to a USB port?

Thanks,

Rob
There are quite a few on Amazon 3.5 to USB adaptors for under a fiver.The question will be will they work.
51ZqC6mf0JL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
There are quite a few on Amazon 3.5 to USB adaptors for under a fiver.The question will be will they work.
View attachment 6418
I don't know the player or the car, but I'd first examine WHY the car "will not" connect via bluetooth. That fix would be my priority, and probably the easiest. Will a phone or other DAP connect? For USB, if it is to work -I've only known USB outputs in cars, though if it's on the radio, it's more likely, I guess he'd need a male, not female USB plug .

Vincent Kars

Basically any audio interface can do this, ADC the input and output to USB. However, this requires the USB of the car to be a USB host. This is very unlikely. Most of the time car USB accept USB storage only. Maybe connecting over USB will work as the car sees the AK as a mass storage and can play from it.

Reactions: Al ears

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
I don't know the player or the car, but I'd first examine WHY the car "will not" connect via bluetooth. That fix would be my priority, and probably the easiest. Will a phone or other DAP connect? For USB, if it is to work -I've only known USB outputs in cars, though if it's on the radio, it's more likely, I guess he'd need a male, not female USB plug .
The car accepts iPhone connections - no issues there. When trying to connect the A&K to the car, the car info system cannot find the music player when both are in connection mode.
The analogue to USB idea I now realise cannot possibly work without a AD converter... and even that would be extremely doubtful (not to mention expensive!).
In the absence of an AUX input, I expect that the only way to get it to work in the car is to use an FM transmitter. Won't be that good though...

RobSys

Jul 22, 2022
Visit site
A cheap Bluetooth adapter/transmitter would be the other option. I wouldn't recommend those FM transmitters they're piss poor ime
I couldn't agree more... However, the car infotainment system will not recognise a separate dedicated bluetooth device. It'll only look at iphones... An FM transmitter is the only thing left...

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
In defense of FM transmitters for the OP and others: FWIW, I drive a 2004 allroad that has very nice audio equipment, but no built in bluetooth, nor an aux input. I have resisted modifying the audio and had an FM Bluetooth transmitter installed seven or eight years ago that has worked beautifully, initially with a Windows phone and -since T-Mobile forced me in May 2022, 2 or 3 android phones. Previously I also had the same unit installed in an A6. They've all connected fine upon ignition and very reliably to take and make calls and listen to my thousand-or-so SD-card stored albums. With Android Auto installed or connected somehow, my phone also launches a music app automatically upon ignition. (It doesn't do anything else that I can tell -or require.) My Windows phones used to play and send texts as well! It's not absolutely flawless, but nearly so: maybe 1% of the time, the phone doesn't connect automatically and immediately, and I have to wait a minute or so, or restart the engine and/or phone. Not as reliable as most electronics, but plenty good enough for my car audio needs!

The device is a Tranzit Blu by iSimple which I believe, sadly, is no longer available. Fortunately, the audio shop that installed it is still going strong and tells me of each generation of available options.

Good luck with the Honda and I'd still insist on or expect Bluetooth to work.

I have a HiBy DAP that I've never tried to connect to my car audio, but that's not an android device anyway and thus impertinent to this thread.

TRENDING THREADS