confusion

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi
i'm totaly confused in what i can do to improve my music quality.
current situation: 2 b&w M1's (small) linked to marantz pm6004
my source is currently laptop (analog) and mp3(analog) , both with 3.5mm jack.
i also have a sub, denon dsw 65 with integraded amp and with a line in and out (LFE), but i can't use it currently

my main goal is to improve my source, (all my files are on laptop, external drive, mp3 player), secondly i would like to create a 2.1 setup.

the solution must be flexibel, if i want to replace my m1's with a 685 or q300 or other bookshelf speakers.

how would you handle this situation? budget is important, and i i'm not in a hurry to finish this .....situation

ps. would you recommend buying a SECONDHAND hi end dac? or cd player?

thank you ,
pls HELP

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

As you seem to prefer your music via the PC, a good DAC would be the place to start.

Apologies, but this isn't

really my area, but there are loads on here that will be only too pleased to advise further.

If you could possibly give an idea of budget of each component you want to add/change, it would be helpful for specific recommendations.

Mac

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest a trip to Richer Sounds and try out one of the following.....

Musical Fidelity V-DAC2

Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100

Arcam rDAC or rDAC KW

One should fit the bill nicely.

Chris

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The first easy change to make is improve the quality of your music files. Delete MP3s and rip/download some lossless format such as WAV, FLAC etc Secondly change your speakers. I would suggest active speakers if you listen close up but you could stick to normal HiFi passive speakers to pair with your Marantz if you listen in a normal sized room. Don't forget to include some stands if your going for standmounts. If you have lots of CDs or intend to buy CDs I recommend a CD player instead of a DAC. But if you just use your PC more then get a DAC.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
alializadeh said:
hi i'm totaly confused in what i can do to improve my music quality. current situation: 2 b&w M1's (small) linked to marantz pm6004 my source is currently laptop (analog) and mp3(analog) , both with 3.5mm jack. i also have a sub, denon dsw 65 with integraded amp and with a line in and out (LFE), but i can't use it currently my main goal is to improve my source, (all my files are on laptop, external drive, mp3 player), secondly i would like to create a 2.1 setup. the solution must be flexibel, if i want to replace my m1's with a 685 or q300 or other bookshelf speakers. how would you handle this situation? budget is important, and i i'm not in a hurry to finish this .....situation ps. would you recommend buying a SECONDHAND hi end dac? or cd player? thank you , pls HELP

These RMS11 actives from Morgan Audio look interesting and can have an integral DAC. The larger RMS15 seems to have the DAC fitted as standard.

It's difficult to know what to suggest without knowing a budget, but at any rate, I would recommend going down the route of active speakers.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Actives don't look a good solution here Overdose, the OP has amplifier and speakers, plus wants eventually to look at 2.1 when the source has been upgraded.

A decent DAC might help to improve the sound, something like the Micromega Mydac, followed by a speaker upgrade - maybe the B&W a t the next level up if you like the B&W sound, the 685s as you suggest, or the Kef LS50s - not a fan of the Kef Q series.

You might also want to consider lossless rips if you're using mp3s, you'll get much better quality.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Looks to me like he wants to upgrade the lot.

Optimising the digital files is sensible, but if these are downloaded files, then you are stuck with what you have. Those Morgan actives are all in one and should give the OP a solution in one go. The RMS15s look interesting, but I could see no price.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Have a look at my set up... KEF Q300 sounds good with PM6004 and if you add decent DAC like rDac or similar you ready to go.. however 685's are good partner with Marantz.. both Q300 & 685 offer subwoofer as an option that can be connected to your Marantz.

edit: and yes, get decent stands :)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Overdose, he said
alilizadeh said:
my main goal is to improve my source

, which to me indicates that's what he wants to do first.

As you know I listened to some small actives last week, and I'd be surprised if the B&Ws or Kefs didn't sound better at the price of the Morgans, plus you get a whole lot more flexibility.

Have you heard these Morgans, by the way?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Overdose, he said
alilizadeh said:

He also said

alializadeh said:
how would you handle this situation?

Is it not possible to make a suggestion on this site anymore without someone telling you 'you can't make that suggestion'? It's pathetic.

My thoughts are that getting some proper speakers would be the way to go, either to hook up to the o/p's amp or by selling his present kit to free up funds and pursuing the active route - a decent dac could be picked up for relative peanuts. The speakers Overdose linked to are worthy of consideration as they'd be a complete system upgrade and can be had on 30 day trial.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Overdose, he said
alilizadeh said:

, which to me indicates that's what he wants to do first.

As you know I listened to some small actives last week, and I'd be surprised if the B&Ws or Kefs didn't sound better at the price of the Morgans, plus you get a whole lot more flexibility.

Have you heard these Morgans, by the way?

The OP is after suggestions for a complete solution, highlighting the first part of the post merely takes the statement out of context. .

Worry less what other people say and think. The suggestion was for the OP to take up or not, it was not for your benefit.

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
ok

so, here are the steps (suggested in a chronological order:

1: source, rip from cd's ( if i download, how do i know that someone just converted a mp3 in flac, witch is a bad idea)

2. speakers: i was wondering to get someold school speakers from b&w, relaivly cheap and decent sound, b&w 601s3? dm14?dm4?

: or just new pair witch is a bit too much of money for me :/

3: DAC

4: sub, but it depends on the speakers, enough bass or not

OR

is it possible to just get a centre speaker? and hook it up on my marantz? instead of 2 new pairs?

and to make it a 3.1 system, someone suggested me to get a hight to low level converter witch goes from rca to wire (sub to marantz)

+dac offcourse

what do you think of this strategy?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
alializadeh said:
ok

so, here are the steps (suggested in a chronological order:

1: source, rip from cd's ( if i download, how do i know that someone just converted a mp3 in flac, witch is a bad idea)

2. speakers: i was wondering to get someold school speakers from b&w, relaivly cheap and decent sound, b&w 601s3? dm14?dm4?

: or just new pair witch is a bit too much of money for me :/

3: DAC

4: sub, but it depends on the speakers, enough bass or not

OR

is it possible to just get a centre speaker? and hook it up on my marantz? instead of 2 new pairs?

and to make it a 3.1 system, someone suggested me to get a hight to low level converter witch goes from rca to wire (sub to marantz)

+dac offcourse

what do you think of this strategy?

The B&W 601s sound like a good idea, if you don't mind buying used. You will get better value for money here if you buy carefully.

A cheap DAC in the form of a Behringer UCA202 would be a good option.

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I can't see why actives are being recommended at this point in the OP's journey.

In response to the OP, your sound quality will be dictated by the weakest link in your system. Your source is not "hi fi", so it's a no-brainer to begin with a good quality DAC. You'll be able to get a load of budget recommendations by searching the forum. In my opinion, a good DAC is the most cost-effective upgrade you can buy and you'll experience a large improvement.

After that, I'd enjoy your music for a while and save up for speakers. They should be a much more expensive purchase, so you'll have time to consider whether you want to go down the active route. See previous threads here ad nauseum for the arguments for and against.

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi

first of all, thank you very much for the replies, some made more sense than others imo.

and thanks jame 5 for the good advice, i 'm really lost in the hifi world and trying to get everything at once at a low price, witch is a bad idea i know

i'm going to get a good dac, used i think, the Atoll dac100

than re-do my music files, rip from cd's to external drive

and then by a cd player or something else.

however, i have not solved the subwoofer issue here, what about that?

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
yes so here is the deal

put.

i have a denon dsw 65 sub lating around and i want to use it becaus the m1's don't have any punch , but great vocals and highs.

the sub has a integrated amp, en a mono LFE input and out. so 1 way in and out.

they recommended me this, http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-NS60-Level-Impedance-Adaptor/dp/B000EFKK5G/ref=cm_cmu_pg_i

to connect it to my marantz pm6004, good idea? or leave the sub out until i get a reciever?

btw, good idea to buy a dac + pre amp device?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts