Concerned the Maarantz 7000n Will Become Obsolete

MrJingle

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Hi

I'm looking to purchase a 'just add speakers' music streamer/DAC/Integrated amp, and I think the Maarantz 7000n may be my best option. But I'm concerned that it won't update the software past a certain date, rendering the streaming aspect of the device obsolete in a few years time.

It has been recommended to me to get a 10 year old Linn Majik DSM instead, at a far higher price. However, I see no evidence that this comes with 'updates for life' either.

So...

Would you recommend the Maarantz 7000n as a 'just add speakers' system given the above potential issue?

Do Linn Streamers actually come with a updates for life guarantee?

Many thanks if anyone can answer these questions.

Gray

Sadly, nothing to do with streaming / updates will have a lifetime guarantee.
I've just (reluctantly) bought my first ever smartphone.
A couple of reviewers were doing cartwheels of excitement over the fact that it will be getting updates to guarantee its useability for 2 "maybe even 3 years" :LOL:
(The 'dumb' phone it replaced - still on its original battery and working perfectly - was old when my brother gave it to me, 19 years ago).

There's a lot to be said for dumb old hi-fi - possibly explaining the demand for vintage stuff.
But to answer your question, I doubt Marantz would be worse than anything else you could buy.

Linn do supply regular updates, and as far as I know the latest versions of everything operate on all their streamers. I initially bought a used Sneaky DS and that could even be updated with Sound Optimisation, Linn’s room matching software, which wasn’t even thought of when the Sneaky was launched.
They aren’t a budget purchase, but a used Majik or Akurate (better) is a great buy. They have five year warranties from new, and again on any upgrades. Transferable to subsequent owners too.

I like Marantz, but if you want an alternative, the Bluesound PowerNode has just been updated, and has an excellent streaming platform.

EDIT - updated as I meant the all in one PowerNode.

Last edited:

PlastermanOG

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Linn do supply regular updates, and as far as I know the latest versions of everything operate on all their streamers. I initially bought a used Sneaky DS and that could even be updated with Sound Optimisation, Linn’s room matching software, which wasn’t even thought of when the Sneaky was launched.
They aren’t a budget purchase, but a used Majik or Akurate (better) is a great buy. They have five year warranties from new, and again on any upgrades. Transferable to subsequent owners too.

I like Marantz, but if you want an alternative, the Bluesound Node has just been updated, and has an excellent streaming platform.
Bought the new bluesound node last week and it is pretty good sounding through my dac, the feature set is good to and the app is easy to use.
I've never had any bluesound products so on first impressions I'd recommend it, reading up on their older products they still update them so I'm reassured that the node will be supported for sometime to come.
20210628_183016.jpg

MrJingle

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I think the Powernode looks good, and the new model looks even better. But I feel it has the same problem as the Marantz 7000n, which is that one day it will become obsolete and the consumer will need to buy the next product. As Gray said above, it is more like buying a Smartphone than buying a hifi.

I had hoped when starting this process of buying a new hifi, that I could spend £1500 and get a hifi set up which would last me the rest of my life. I'm still hoping I can do that, but haven't quite figured out whether to get a) a Marantz/Bluesound and risk having to upgrade, or b) Get an older more expensive Linn.

Oh and I have to get speakers within my budget as well :ROFLMAO:

Tinman1952

Thanks for the replies.

I think the Powernode looks good, and the new model looks even better. But I feel it has the same problem as the Marantz 7000n, which is that one day it will become obsolete and the consumer will need to buy the next product. As Gray said above, it is more like buying a Smartphone than buying a hifi.

I had hoped when starting this process of buying a new hifi, that I could spend £1500 and get a hifi set up which would last me the rest of my life. I'm still hoping I can do that, but haven't quite figured out whether to get a) a Marantz/Bluesound and risk having to upgrade, or b) Get an older more expensive Linn.

Oh and I have to get speakers within my budget as well :ROFLMAO:
Good quality amplifiers and speakers will not become obsolete but the digital front end will. That’s one argument for keeping it as a separate component. The Powernode is an excellent bit of kit if you want ‘all in one’.
In a previous life I would be required to write off all computer equipment after 2 or at most 3 years. It becomes obsolete that quickly…..and these days more and more digital HiFi is basically a computer……

MrJingle

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
It certainly has crossed my mind, but...

Let's suppose a buy a Raspberry Pie, a DAC, an amp and speakers. It would...

a) Cost over £1500
b) I wouldn't get the nice interfacing from a POWERNODE or Marantz 7000n such as the buttons, remote control and other features like bluetooth. At least, I don't think I could.

The more time I spend on this, the further down the rabbit hole of indecision I get

TRENDING THREADS