Compromise

deafinoneear

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

My system is built around fairly solid separates of Arcam FMJ A19 ,Audiolab 8200 CD and a 24v upgraded Rega fitted with a 2m blue.

My compromise comes with my Wharfedale diamond 9.1's which I have fitted on the wall on dedicated Wharfedale brackets.

I'd love to be able to accomodate floorstanders or even standmounts but I have two very playful Golden Retrievers who have ensured everything had to follow the tv and come off the floor as my system was literally rocking.

Very good though they are the diamonds do limit the sound I get from my system.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a significant speaker upgrade that will be happy stuck on the wall ?

paulselwood

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
deafinoneear said:
Hi all,

My system is built around fairly solid separates of Arcam FMJ A19 ,Audiolab 8200 CD and a 24v upgraded Rega fitted with a 2m blue.

My compromise comes with my Wharfedale diamond 9.1's which I have fitted on the wall on dedicated Wharfedale brackets.

I'd love to be able to accomodate floorstanders or even standmounts but I have two very playful Golden Retrievers who have ensured everything had to follow the tv and come off the floor as my system was literally rocking.

Very good though they are the diamonds do limit the sound I get from my system.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a significant speaker upgrade that will be happy stuck on the wall ?

Have you look at the Focal 905 speakers. I too have the same amp as you, with focal 905 speakers. I have my speakers, very near the wall.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Neat Iotas would be an excellent solution. Music just pours out of them and they are perfect for wall-mounting or small spaces.

+ 1

Superb speakers. One day I'll find an excuse to own a pair.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Deafin, there are plenty of small speakers you'd probably prefer to your Wharfedales when put on wall brackets. Stuff like smaller Royds, Linn Katans, Klipsh Heresy, ATC 11's etc etc etc.

You could also solve your canine challenge with squat, heavy, tatty floorstanders. Something like a tatty pair of Altec Model 19's (with the grills kept on). Or Klipschorns.

D

Deleted member 108165

I can vouch for the PMC DB1's, small speaker but with an enormous grin factor; don't be put off by their plain appearance. I have mine on wall brackets, 3 metres apart and about 4" from the rear wall, I do get some bass bloom but only when the volume is cranked too much. Their bass abilities always astounds me for such a small speaker, tight and punchy; clarity... brilliant.

I would like to try the Guru Juniors and the LS50's and the active version of the PMC's but I am in no hurry as I am perfectly content with my current set-up.

deafinoneear

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies all.

Some good demo suggestions. I'd really forgotten about the Neats and will certainly give them an audition as they are within my price range.

D

Deleted member 108165

plastic penguin said:
I would avoid PMC DB1is. Great speakers but with their transmission line port at the rear they need a good 18-24" from the back wall to hear them at their best.

Also any sealed cabinet will do the trick.

I spent months moving these little speakers around to find their optimum position. 18-24" distance did absolutely nothing for the speaker... anaemic. Personally, I think these need rear wall reinforcement, but maybe that's more to do with my listening room, or the fact I like them on the wall. PMC even sell wall brackets which mount them about 4" out from the rear wall! Go figure...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts