Monitor Audio Silver 8s or 10s and what amp...?

20_20000

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I've auditioned a few floor standers, and so far the Silver 8s are right at the top of the shortlist.<br/>They won me over with there sonic signature, clear highs, and bass extension. Cymbals and high hats have to sound right to me, and they just work on these speakers. And bass range is a must for me as I hate it when speakers sound weak on "that" bit of a track!<br/>Anyway, I'm very close to getting these, but have some questions...<br/>I'm wondering whether I should go for the 10s for that extra low range. Though my concern is that they would overwhelm my room. It's around 5x4m (16x13ft), and I would be sat around 2.5m (8ft) from the wall they would be closest to (so around 2m (6.5ft) from listening position). Any thoughts on this? Will it matter if I don't crank them up?<br/>The second question is what amp to go for... So far I've just tried the Arcam FMJ A19. Again, I won't crank them up, but would this amp be sufficient anyway?<br/>(This is my first venture into separates, so forgive any obviously stupid questions!)<br/>Cheers (How the fudge do you get paragraphs to show?!)

Hi 20_20000

All things being equal Silver 10's with their greater scale, depth and dynamics easily justify their £250/£275 premium over the already impressive Silver 8's. However their performance ultimately also needs to be carried over into your room. Therefore try both the Silver 8's and Silver 10's in your room to see which suits best.

Btw, what genre of music do you listen please?

What source component/s and cabling will you be using?

Your upper limit for amplification please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

20_20000

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

MUSICRAFT said:

Hi Rick. I'll listen to a variety of genres. I auditioned the 8s and they worked great with Electronic, orchestral, and rock music. Source will be a mediacenter PC, connected up via a DAC. The DAC, amp, and cables will be bought with the speakers, so have yet to be chosen.

Upper limit for amp would be around £1250. From what I've researched it looks like it'll be out of: Arcam A19, Naim 5si, and Cyrus 8a.

I'll try to audition the 10s, and each of the amps on the better of the 8 vs 10. However, unfortunately I won't be able to try them in my room, but in a larger store demo room. Hence my concerns over size!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They shouldn't overwhelm the room, but it is worth auditioning them first, as I somEtimes find the largest speaker of any range sounds a little bit different - the amount of bass a speaker produces affects how you perceive midrange and treble detail.

20_20000 said:
Thanks for the replies.

MUSICRAFT said:

Hi Rick. I'll listen to a variety of genres. I auditioned the 8s and they worked great with Electronic, orchestral, and rock music. Source will be a mediacenter PC, connected up via a DAC. The DAC, amp, and cables will be bought with the speakers, so have yet to be chosen.

Upper limit for amp would be around £1250. From what I've researched it looks like it'll be out of: Arcam A19, Naim 5si, and Cyrus 8a.

I'll try to audition the 10s, and each of the amps on the better of the 8 vs 10. However, unfortunately I won't be able to try them in my room, but in a larger store demo room. Hence my concerns over size!

Hi 20_20000

Thanks for your reply and your welcome.

Fair enough.

As for amplification you should also consider Hegel's H80 DAC/amp. We've had excellent results pairing Silver 8's and Silver 10's with the H80
regular_smile.gif
The H80 has (amongst its other qualities) a powerful bass but which is tight, grippy and punchy which should help you as it'll help keep the low frequencies in greater check.

As for cabling basic USB, basic analogue interconnect (for a seperate DAC) and basic speaker cables will do nicely which you should also be able to pick up from most local electrical stores/local market for little outlay. Fwiw, we only use basic cables and i've just finished setting up Platinum PL200, PLC150 and PL100 speakers using basic 79 and 500 strand OFC speaker cables from a Plinius Odean power amplifier at nearly £14k.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Mmm interesting, I was looking to upgrade my nicely run in RS 6 floorstanders for the Silver 10's so please keep us all informed on your progress. I currently use either a musical fidelity A3.5 or roksan Kandy 3 to power the speakers.

Happy auditioning!

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Another solution worth trying out might be a pre-/power or DAC/power amp combination, and if a PC's your only source, how about an Audiolab M-DAC acting as a pre-amp feeding something like a Rotel RB-1582?

20_20000 said:

20_20000

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Rick, the Hegel H80 looks like an excellent bit of kit. It's such a shame that there is only one store selling them in the UK, and they don't stock MAs so I wouldn't be able to audition them! Perhaps I'll try them out in the future when I inevitably will want to upgrade... Cabling is the last thing on my mind, but I'll probably just go for whatever cable they use to audition the kit.
7760, I'll definitely want to get a DAC (inbuilt or separate). I'll keep that combo you suggested in mind.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
20_20000 said:
Rick, the Hegel H80 looks like an excellent bit of kit. It's such a shame that there is only one store selling them in the UK, and they don't stock MAs so I wouldn't be able to audition them! Perhaps I'll try them out in the future when I inevitably will want to upgrade... Cabling is the last thing on my mind, but I'll probably just go for whatever cable they use to audition the kit.

7760, I'll definitely want to get a DAC (inbuilt or separate). I'll keep that combo you suggested in mind.

Rick stocks both and I'm sure he would be happy to help.

20_20000

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
20_20000 said:

Rick stocks both and I'm sure he would be happy to help.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind. I live in Oxfordshire, but might be taking a trip up to the North so might be able to stop off on the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts