Speakers positioning and stand question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a very basic setup (CA Azur 340A, CA Azur 340C) and a pair of lovely Wharfedale Diamonds 9.1. This setup is connected to my computer. Now - the best option for me is to place the speakers directly on my desk (it's very long - 2 meters) - however when i did it I discovered that speakers are slightly too low. What will be the best way of raising them up a wee bit? Shall I get a very small speaker stands? (Something like Arc 1268 - 20cm high) Wall brackets? Or maybe I should just put the speakers on some books:) ??

Anyone with some kind of "desk" solution? :)

Thanks!

Daniel

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Conical spikes on top of a couple of breezeblocks to give that "rugged" feel?

Not sure to be honest. Is the desk secure (i.e. is it secured to a wall)? If not, any movement front/back or side/side will muddle the sound a bit, and you may be better off with wall brackets. If it is ok, then you might get away with the small stands, but do you think the 8" or so will make that much of a difference?

A

Anonymous

You're probably right... I mean I can hear the difference (when I positioned the speakers on a pile of books:) - it does sounds slightly better (I'm quite tall man and raising the speakers to my "ear level" helped:) but probably I'm too fussy now:)

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
There's no such thing as too fussy - if raising it 8" makes a worthwhile difference to you, then go for it! I found that going from 60cm to 80cm stands for my missions made a notable improvment...

You could even try getting a set of cones off ebay and putting them point-up on the books, and putting the wharfs on there - unless, like me, you have little 'uns running around who can dislodge them...

A

Anonymous

Quite close to the speakers indeed... I'm renting a room so trying to make the best use of space possible:) Thanks for the advice!

Daniel

John Duncan

But.....I think I preferred being above mine, before they were moved to the walls of the kitchen (and hence am below them now). Though they're now connected to a PC/Denon mini, so are not at their best.

A

Anonymous

So it's down to my own listening tests then:) Any tips tho? I know that Diamonds should be aprox two meters from each other. Now where the perfect "listening" position will be?

Eg:

[LeftSPK].......................2m.......................[RightSPK]

Me:)

How far "me" should be? :)

Dan

John Duncan

You should be 2m from each speaker, in theory (I think). Which means (getting slide rule out) 1.73m from the wall.

My diamonds were about four feet from each other, toed in severely
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts