Component price imbalance

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been gradually updating my system over the last 9 months or so, and was intending to spend £250-300 each on source, amp and speakers. Too cut a long story short, I've ended up with a DacMagic (£200), 640Av2 (£250) and some Focal Cobalt 816's which retailed at £1k a few years ago, which I got for a bit of a bargain on eBay. I'm blown away by the results, but worried I may be damaging the speakers but using relatively cheaper components to drive them.

The speakers are bi-wired using both channels of the amp (which is 75watts/ch), any thoughts on whether I risk damaging them?

TIA, Hugh

matthewpiano

No problems at all. Quality amplification can be made much more cheaply than quality speakers and its the sound that matters in the end.

Look at my sig. The TEAC amp I'm using retails for about £170 on its own and I'm driving £400 speakers with it. It sounds superb - much better in every way than the same speakers sounded being driven by a £500 Cambridge 740A.

The 640A you have is a very enjoyable and musical amplifier, so chill out and enjoy the results that have blown you away.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, I was hoping that would be the case as I really dont want upgraditis to strike again any time soon...

A

Anonymous

Hugh_:
Thanks for the replies, I was hoping that would be the case as I really dont want upgraditis to strike again any time soon...

emotion-16.gif
You will wish you never said that
emotion-16.gif

A

Anonymous

Hugh out of interest what do you feed your DacMagic with?

T

the record spot

Interesting balance! I'd heard the Focals could be considered quite bright, how do you find this works with the apparent and reported brightness of the CA kit? Does all music float your boat or are some albums a touch too shiny shiny (although much of this can be laid at the production job on an album too of course)?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts