possible blown speakers/amp/help connecting DJ decks to passive speakers

otakii901

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys wonder if someone could help me.

Basically just purchased a pioneer DDJ SR and was setting it up tonight. I am using an Arcam A85 amp and B&W 685 speakers. The amp was connected to the decks with a twin 1/4 jack and twin RCA to the amp. The jacks plugged into the master out and the RCAs plugged into the phono (not sure if this is the right place to plug the RCAs into).

Now i connect everything up, decks to the laptop etc and make sure the volume on the amp is down to its almost lowest but when i turn up the master a bit it my speakers make a really loud noise, immediatly shut everything off, reaize the volume on the laptop was up really high (dont know why that would make the speakers loud if the amp was down low). Anyway retry with all the volume low, its fine, but then as i gradually increase the master on the mixer it makes my speakers start to pop and crackle slightly.

Now worried if speakers are blown so i unplug the decks and connect my phone to an rca cable to my amp. Make sure theyre both turned down really low, which normally makes my speakers really quiet, however even though theyre low my speakers are way louder than usual and when turned up slightly they get alot louder than they noramally do at that level.

Basically im wondering if ive blown my speakers/amp and if i havent if im connecting everything up correctly.

Sorry for the massive post

insider9

What volume did you set Arcam to? What exactly does it say on the screen?

Thanks

EDIT
Also does your A85 have an inbuilt phono stage? They didn't come as standard. By what you're saying I think I does and this would explain it. Try connecting it to cd input on A85.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
What volume did you set Arcam to? What exactly does it say on the screen?

Thanks

EDIT Also does your A85 have an inbuilt phono stage? They didn't come as standard. By what you're saying I think I does and this would explain it. Try connecting it to cd input on A85.

It does sound like you are overdriving the inputs, ie there is a phone stage. Try the CD input as suggested and report back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts