Compatibility Issue: PS3 & Yamaha 763/863

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I visited my local SevenOaks store and asked for a test run between the Denon 1909 & Yamaha 763. The source used was a PS3 via a HDMI.

When playing music through the PS3 with the Yamaha, I was unable to select the Cinema DSP, Surround and multi channel effects? It kept switching to 'Straight' on the LED screen and when trying to change this, we also failed. The Denon on the other hand worked a treat.

This baffled us as we weren't sure what was going on. Yamaha have been contacted about this, but have not received a reply back and it's been a week.

Does anyone have any ideas of why this is happening?

Regards,

Amit

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Amit,

Not quite sure why you'd want to apply those effects while you're playing music through the receiver ?

Anyhow, we'll check it out when we're back in the office tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

Hello Clare,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I fully appreciate your feedback and agree that stereo sound should be played only through the two front speakers. However, there are certain music type options such as concert, dance, rock that one can select to add effects. When we called Yamaha, they were certain that these features were accessible when using the HDMI connector with any source.

With the Denon 1909 being able to provide these effects along with the multi-channel output, it begged the question why Yamaha 763 & 863 weren't able to.

I look forward to your diagnosis,

Many thanks,

Amit

A

Anonymous

Hi. Just checked this out using our reference PS3, a Yamaha DSP-AX763 and a selection of discs.ÿ
Straight mode bypasses all the effects processing, as you experienced, but the good newsÿis it's optional. Hit a button on the fascia, just below the group of four Scene buttons (next to the Program knob) or use the remote handset (it's on the right, next to the cursor pad), and you can turn the mode off. That done, you can apply DSP to decoded multichannel PCM from Blu-ray discs (we tried with the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack on Batman Begins) or to CDs as you prefer. We didn't try with any music recorded to our PS3's hard-disk, in fairness, but it's unlikely to be any different.
All the info, incidentally, is on p50 of the Yamaha's manual, and clearly flagged on the Contents page of the same. Of course, we don't expect you to have the manual to hand in a home cinema demo, but your dealer.well, that doesn't strike us as being unreasonable.

A

Anonymous

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your efforts with this problem. Your explanation seems pretty straight forward, but if I can remember correctly, we tried pressing most of the buttons on the fascia, but to no avail.

We did try taking the HDMI cable out and changed the setting to DSP multichannel and inserting the HDMI back in, but the setting defaulted again to Straight.

I'm not sure what was going on there, but will visit another store to see if this still is the case.

Thanks WhatHifi and many thanks to Clare & Andy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts