Comparison naim nait xs3 rega Elicit mk5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
I have just seen and read what hi fi's review of the Rega Elicit mk5 just made, I would like to have a comparative judgment between the Rega Elicit mk5 and the Naim nait Xs3 reviewed at the time from those who performed the listening tests.
Thank you

D

Deleted member 195594

Naim amplifiers are designed only to work with Naim loudspeaker cable and using alternatives may degrade the performance or even damage the amplifier.
This most definitely was the case on older series amps - Olive, Chrome Bumper etc, but modern lines are no longer this prohibitive - such as the 5si, XS2 & 3, SupertNaits.

Many Naim users of modern series amps use Tellurium Q, Atlas as an alternative just as an example. As someone else mentioned, Witch Hat make alternative speaker cables for Naim amps albeit designed by ex-Naim engineers, within the parameters of Naim specifications.

Advice I received when I bought my 5si last year was that using alternative cables was no longer a concern to worry about.

Reactions: rainsoothe

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
.....And keep away from silver type speaker cables with Naim, I couldn't stand the sound of my Nait xs with some qed silver anniversary, if you need something a bit less expensive than the naca 5, tellurium etc, I'd recommend the linn k20 (aka naca a4), I doubt you'll find it new, so eBay is your friend here. I actually have a couple of 3-4 metre lengths of it kicking around, oh and mogami quad core 2972 is pretty good also.

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
.....And keep away from silver type speaker cables with Naim, I couldn't stand the sound of my Nait xs with some qed silver anniversary, if you need something a bit less expensive than the naca 5, tellurium etc, I'd recommend the linn k20 (aka naca a4), I doubt you'll find it new, so eBay is your friend here. I actually have a couple of 3-4 metre lengths of it kicking around, oh and mogami quad core 2972 is pretty good also.
I took your advice and got Linn k20 cables, they seem to be fine.
In the meantime I continued to listen to the naim nait xs 3 for a while, it seems to me that it sounds good if it weren't for the bass in some passages it loses a bit of definition.
In the meantime, I am waiting for the new Rega Eliit mk5 to arrive from my supplier to make a direct comparison with my ears.
In the meantime, there is someone else who can give me an opinion on the two amps naim and Rega.

Reactions: norcriss

norcriss

Sep 7, 2022
Visit site
I took your advice and got Linn k20 cables, they seem to be fine.
In the meantime I continued to listen to the naim nait xs 3 for a while, it seems to me that it sounds good if it weren't for the bass in some passages it loses a bit of definition.
In the meantime, I am waiting for the new Rega Eliit mk5 to arrive from my supplier to make a direct comparison with my ears.
In the meantime, there is someone else who can give me an opinion on the two amps naim and Rega.
Did u got the chance of listening to Rega? I’m also in the same boat as you and I don’t know which one to choose between Rega and Naim.

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Did u got the chance of listening to Rega? I’m also in the same boat as you and I don’t know which one to choose between Rega and Naim.

I am in contact with my supplier, when the rega arrives he warns me and I can try it, afterwards I will surely let you know how the comparison went.

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Naim amplifiers are designed only to work with Naim loudspeaker cable and using alternatives may degrade the performance or even damage the amplifier.

What about the internal cable inside the Speaker

Rereading our comments on this forum I focused on the problem of cables.
I have no experience in electronics and little knowledge of electrical engineering, reminiscent of when I was studying, more than 40 years ago.
I would like to have more technical clarifications to understand and justify the problem of cables for Naim amps, degrade performance or ruin the unit ???
Keeping in mind that however on the other side of the cable is the loudspeaker with its speakers with their impedance with their load.
A good amp manufacturer must offer products that sound better than the competition all other things being equal.
Equality of conditions means the same speakers, the same sources and of course the same cables, knowing that the response of the amplifier can vary from speaker to speaker.
It is true that these elements of the music chain can affect the quality of the sound, but this is true for any amplifier.
The comparison must be made on equal terms.
How is it that an amp can explode or get damaged by cables.
If so, for me Naim is disqualified.

FraD

Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
Well, I can’t think of another SS amp that’s equally vulnerable, but they maintained it delivered better sound iirc. On balance though, not blowing up sits higher in most customers requirements!

I have no experience in electronics and little knowledge of electrical engineering, reminiscent of when I was studying, more than 40 years ago.
I would like to have more technical clarifications to understand and justify the problem of cables for Naim amps, degrade performance or ruin the unit ???
Keeping in mind that however on the other side of the cable is the loudspeaker with its speakers with their impedance with their load.
A good amp manufacturer must offer products that sound better than the competition all other things being equal.
Equality of conditions means the same speakers, the same sources and of course the same cables, knowing that the response of the amplifier can vary from speaker to speaker.
It is true that these elements of the music chain can affect the quality of the sound, but this is true for any amplifier.

I posted an extract from the current Naim amplifier manual in #24 above. Essentially, some of their designs need the speaker cable load to stabilise the amplifier. Look up zobel networks or look in Naim’s own forum and you might find more. All I’d say is use their suggested cable and you’ll be fine. Or you might agree with me that it’s an unnecessary flaw.

Reactions: 12th Monkey

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I've been using 2 x 8m (approx) runs of NACA4 since the 80s, starting with a Nytech ca202amp with Heybrook HB 1s, then a succession of Naim amps, with no problems at all. Currently using a Uniti Star.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts