Question Coming back to hi-fi after 20+ yrs - help pick a power amp for my proposed turntable setup!

282cpb

Apr 1, 2023
Visit site
Greetings! After a long hiatus due to kids, work, life, I'm getting back to basics. In part because my 3 teenage kids, who have had a rock cover band (guitar/bass/drums) for the past several years, want to get into vinyl. What power amp would you suggest that also has bluetooth so it can double playing music from their phones? Here's what I'm planning for speakers and turntable. Ideally I would like to keep it under $750.

Speakers: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s (first version). I've had them for 20 years, and they haven't been hooked up in 10+ years.
Turntable: I'm eying an Audio-Technica LP120XUSB (built-in phono preamp).

Thank you!
cpb

Reactions: hifi

Gray

Greetings to you too.
I'd say that what do depends on the condition and quality (compared to latest alternatives) of those speakers of yours.

Apart from the speakers, the amount you will need to spend will depend on whether you want high quality Bluetooth like the ifi Zen Blue into to a decent integrated amp.....or whether, say, a Chinese branded 40wpc 'just add speakers' class D with built-in BT would be adequate.

So perhaps just say if your budget can be flexible....if nothing else that could prevent the need for wasting money on early upgrades to better.

Reactions: 282cpb

282cpb

Apr 1, 2023
Visit site
Greetings to you too.
I'd say that what do depends on the condition and quality (compared to latest alternatives) of those speakers of yours.

Apart from the speakers, the amount you will need to spend will depend on whether you want high quality Bluetooth like the ifi Zen Blue into to a decent integrated amp.....or whether, say, a Chinese branded 40wpc 'just add speakers' class D with built-in BT would be adequate.

So perhaps just say if your budget can be flexible....if nothing else that could prevent the need for wasting money on early upgrades to better.
Thanks for the help. Here was a review of the speakers by Doug Schneider.

I have no problem going with a better Bluetooth receiver if I can keep the overall budget of BT receiver + integrated amp under $750.

Reactions: Gray
Greetings! After a long hiatus due to kids, work, life, I'm getting back to basics. In part because my 3 teenage kids, who have had a rock cover band (guitar/bass/drums) for the past several years, want to get into vinyl. What power amp would you suggest that also has bluetooth so it can double playing music from their phones? Here's what I'm planning for speakers and turntable. Ideally I would like to keep it under $750.

Speakers: Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s (first version). I've had them for 20 years, and they haven't been hooked up in 10+ years.
Turntable: I'm eying an Audio-Technica LP120XUSB (built-in phono preamp).

Thank you!
cpb
What country are you based? I guess it isn't the UK as you are using $ sign.

It will help as different countries have their regional brands.

Yes, you’re after an integrated amp, I think. If your children can afford LP records (made of vinyl!) then good luck to them. Bluetooth enables them to connect Spotify or similar from their phones, which is handy but not necessarily the best sound quality.

Welcome to the forum.

282cpb

Apr 1, 2023
Visit site
Yes, you’re after an integrated amp, I think. If your children can afford LP records (made of vinyl!) then good luck to them. Bluetooth enables them to connect Spotify or similar from their phones, which is handy but not necessarily the best sound quality.

Welcome to the forum.
Got it and thank you. So an integrated amp, like the Denon PMA-600NE.

Most of the kids’ gigs are to raise money for charities, but they do live private events where they make money, and they’ve been putting what they make there (as opposed to at their part-time jobs) into music endeavors (plus, they’ve got grandparents that are always asking what they want for birthdays and holidays and think it is unseemly to give cash).

As you can see, they’ve gone deep down the music rabbit hole:

View: https://youtu.be/7iwWWgA0HOg

Gray

Good review - looks like they will do justice to a nice integrated amp.
I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.....
I find this difficult for US purchases, but the cheapest integrated amp recommended by US journal Stereophile, amongst their usual exotica, is the NAD C328.

It’s $699 they say, and £549 here in Blighty.

Scroll down here to find it…

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts