PLEASE HELP!! ABOUT TO BLOW A WAD OF CASH ON HI-FI EQUIPMENT...

plc

Mar 30, 2008
Visit site
Yes - after 20 years of listening to my trusty (but now slightly broken) system, it's time to lay it to rest. The turntable packed up at Christmas, one of the Celestion speakers has given up the ghost and frankly, I'm fed up with the Technics Pre/Power combo.

So - that leaves me needing a new amp, new speakers and a new turntable. The new turntable's already been decided as it was picked from a choice of seemingly very few products which offer an auto-speed changer as I have a large collection of 45's as well as 33's and can't see myself enjoying lifting the platter and manipulating the position of the belt for too long! This left me a choice of Thorens vs Pro-Ject Xperience X-Pack which is apparently supplied with a cracking cartridge and auto-speed changer. I opted for the latter. By the way, I've also ordered the Pro-Ject Phono Box SE II pre-amp. I'll know more about how good the Pro-Ject is when these items arrive next week.

Now, back to my original question. I spoke to the salesman about an Amplifier & Speakers to partner this with. He has recommended the Rocsan Kandy L Mk.3 and Monitor Audio RS6's.

I predominantly listen to indie music, a lot of which has a fairly raw production. This concerns me in that as I spend more money on hi-fi equipment, will I simply end up emphasising the flaws in the original recording?

I've read some of the other threads regarding RS6's and for the record (no pun intended!) - I don't listen to dance music or electronica (Ulrich Schnaus excepted). I listen to mainly guitar bands such as Dr Phibes, Elle Milano, Ride, Throwing Muses, Death Cab for Cutie, My Bloody Valentine etc. Will the bass on the RS6's be too much for the small music room that I have my existing system in (2.5m x 3m) and will these speakers be OK in a slightly larger room (4m x 3.5m) (I'm considering swapping my spare room with the existing music room to give me more listening space).

Finally, I don't really have a budget in mind but I'd ideally like to keep it under £10,000 if there are any other suggestions, taking into account my listening tastes.

Any comments gratefully received...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="plc"]Finally, I don't really have a budget in mind but I'd ideally like to keep it under £10,000 if there are any other suggestions, taking into account my listening tastes.[/quote]

MA RS6 in a 10k system ...
emotion-9.gif

plc

Mar 30, 2008
Visit site
Agreed - but I'm not saying that I will necessary spend all of the £10K - especially if somebody comes along and tells me that my existing collection's flaws are likely to be amplified to the extent of rendering a large part of my collection unlistenable!

I'd be happy spending a lot less should this be the case...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Understand but there is so much gear, different opinions etc out there you need the help of a good dealer and yours does'nt sound like the one you should listen to. Perhaps they just have'nt got a large choice but if you have the money you say you have, you really should expand your options beyond what they told you even if you dont want to spend all of it.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, with such a potential budget, I think your best bet is to take a
day or so going round a range of hi-fi dealers - taking your
favourite music with you - and ask to hear some of the kit you've been
reading about.

The Kandy/Monitor Audio combination would
certainly be a belting one - why not hear that first with your music,
then (without revealing in advance you've got more money up your
sleeve!!) ask to hear next-step up kit.

You should also get a lot
from our forthcoming, new-look Ultimate Guide to Hi-fi (on sale April
10th), which not only features best buys and systems at every price
point, but has specific articles on system matching and savvy
demo/shopping techniques.

Hope this helps - any other questions, please ask: there's plenty of people here happy to help.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="plc"]
Agreed - but I'm not saying that I will necessary spend all of the £10K - especially if somebody comes along and tells me that my existing collection's flaws are likely to be amplified to the extent of rendering a large part of my collection unlistenable!

I'd be happy spending a lot less should this be the case...
[/quote]

I agree my friend......I have some Mudhoney Cds and records........sounded pretty bad on some of the more expensive equipment.......the Primare is quite warm and smooth sounding and I found it held onto the raw nature of the recording, which is part of the enjoyment, without making it sound harsh. Aim high with your speakers.......put those monitor audios on the back burner for now ;)

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
More expensive equipment will be a lot more revealing. That is what people expect and strive for when they upgrade; something closer to the original recording. I don't understand this 'I don't want gear to reveal my bad recordings nonsense'. If that's the case stick with a cheap Alba midi-system. :0)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="SamS"]put those monitor audios on the back burner for now ;)[/quote]
Yeah, I agree, but only burn the cabinets as the drivers will put the fire out...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
If you demo the RS6s, please ask to listen to the platinum ones as well - I have the RS6s and they are fabulous - ignore some of the less helpful comments. The PLs from Monitor Audio look amazing and they are supposed to sound gorgeous (and for £5k a pair, so they should!). I would also have listen to the Quad ELS (the latest ones), they are £6k but when you hear more than one recognised hifi journalist writing that they are the best speakers in the world, they can't be too shabby either!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]The PLs from Monitor Audio look amazing and they are supposed to sound gorgeous (and for £5k a pair, so they should!)[/quote]

This is a decent shout......I ended up spending a similar amount on speakers, I wanted to demo the PLs but no-one I knew could get hold of any at the time! "Only 10 stores across the UK have them".......so they told me. They look stunning, I have no idea how they sound but the reviews are promising. Also worth checking out Dali/PMC/Neat/Dynaudio/Focal/ATC and Wilson Benesch. Good luck ;)

A

Anonymous

My choice of setup for you to try...

Accuphase DP500 CDP £3950 (Although a dCS p8i can be had for Less than £4k now...) --- Accuphase E213 Amp £2200 --- Avalon NP2.0 Speakers £2000.

An utterly sublime sound leaving plenty for ancillaries.
I have heard the above system and would happily live with it...

plc

Mar 30, 2008
Visit site
Thanks sooo much everybody - Some fantastic comments & advice here, although it's possibly raised even more questions than I had previously (!!!) but at least provided me with a path to follow.

Now - Can anybody recommend any really good dealers in the Manchester/Cheshire area who would let me hear some of this stuff?

A

Anonymous

Much as i'm not too impressed with their speakers (unless you're looking at akurates and above), i think you should listen to the linn unidisc sc (or 1.1 with a pre amp if you can stretch to it) , and one of the matching power amps. Very musical and over a very wide range of music i've not heard them overly show up flaws in records - a mate has a huge range of indie lp's similar to your taste.

also the interconnects they come as standard retail for about £60 so you wouldnt have to shell out for new wires if you didnt feel like it.. they sound great too.

A

Anonymous

If you're just looking for a CD+amp+speakers combo then yes, you could make a few people here jealous by shelling out for the MA PL-300's.

I can only assume you still have good enough cables and interconnects that you could just transfer from your old system yes? For players and amplifiers I am not sure what is best to pair with the MA's, but check out Krell. Adding that all up might break your 10k budget though.

Been said a lot already, can't be said enough, try before you buy!

A

Anonymous

The Audioworks in Cheadle sell all the stuff I recommended. I got all my stuff from there having listened at shops all over the North West. Very helpful and like their music...

Give Larry a bell (say Alex recommended you ;) ) and ask for a demo. If you explain your budget they will set something spectacular up, probably for less than you were expecting too. I ended up spending less than my budget on a setup that was way better than more expensive stuff I heard elsewhere.
Last time I was in they had some Platinum MAs too..

There is the AudioCounsel as well on the same road, they do Naim and Densen (among others I think), not my cup of tea but still worth a go just to have a listen to a wide range of stuff nearby.

A

Anonymous

The title of this topic is just so terry tibbs lol , worst title ever!!!!!!!

plc

Mar 30, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="marcymarc555"]

The title of this topic is just so terry tibbs lol , worst title ever!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Erm, yes - sorry about that
emotion-2.gif

Thanks for the dealer info - sounds like the one in Cheadle is definitely worth a visit, but I'll try and get round all of the ones mentioned.

Thanks chaps.

A

Anonymous

hi there i am looking for a pair of audiolab 8000ms let me know if you are selling them

stuartwj1471@hotmail.co.uk

regards stuart

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts