Comet warranties any experiences / advice?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My old (4.5yrs) toshiba 32wlt58 lcd has a power fault, so had a comet man come out and he found the fault and ordered the bit (so far so good) Now been told by comet that toshiba no longer make the part so the tv's gonna be written of under warranty but they couldn't tell whether i'd get offered a comparable replacement set which i dont want as i want a bigger set or money off vouchers i have to wait for a letter once toshiba accept the liability. I would like to know if anyone on here has any advice or have claimed through comets warranty and were they pleased with the outcome or felt they'd been short changed? thanks

stu31:My old (4.5yrs) toshiba 32wlt58 lcd has a power fault, so had a comet man come out and he found the fault and ordered the bit (so far so good) Now been told by comet that toshiba no longer make the part so the tv's gonna be written of under warranty but they couldn't tell whether i'd get offered a comparable replacement set which i dont want as i want a bigger set or money off vouchers i have to wait for a letter once toshiba accept the liability. I would like to know if anyone on here has any advice or have claimed through comets warranty and were they pleased with the outcome or felt they'd been short changed? thanks

Wait a minute........it's still under Comet warranty, right? Then why should Toshiba accept liability? The onus lies with the retailer (Comet) & not the manufacturer. They will have to offer a comparable replacement, no ifs & buts. You can always negotiate the TV & tell them that you're prepared to pay the difference for a different set. But tell this to them AFTER they agree on a replacement & offer you a TV, otherwise they'll easily bring the compensation down.

If any problems, just quote Sale of Goods Act & tell them that you'll be contacting Consumer Direct for advice.

A

Anonymous

Sorry wasn't very clear i asked the girl what happens next she said i'm definately getting one under warranty, it just their procedure was to email toshiba, toshiba then agrees to pay for a new set then comet does their bit if you see what i mean.

Thats good advice there tho thanks mate

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
My only experience was bad. My American style Samsung fridge/freezer developed a problem after about 22 months. I rang Comet who said that it was out of warranty but they could arrange for an engineer to come out at my cost. I disputed this, saying that I thought there was a 24 month manufacturer warranty, Comet insisted there wasn't and that I'd have to pay. In the end I rang Samsung who confirmed the 24 month warranty and had someone out to me free of charge within a couple of days.

A

Anonymous

They have offered me a Samsung UE40C6540SK 40" LED TV which is on their site for £999.99
so me being me i've looked around their site and at that price i've found these two alternative Panasonic models TX-L42D26B LED TV or TX-P42G20B 42" Plasma TV both with a free 65panny blu ray player.

Im struggling to find a review of the samsung tv as comets model numbers seem a bit odd to find anyone got any thoughts on the two pannys ?

Out of the 3 whats the prefered choice?

Thanks chaps

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
stu31:Im struggling to find a review of the samsung tv as comets model numbers seem a bit odd to find anyone got any thoughts on the two pannys ?

Some electrical retailers will have special models of a certain tv with a slightly different product code, this is to try and stop you from doing price comparisons. So for example a Samsung 650 model will be called a Samsung 650 (insert random combination of numbers/letters here) and will probably have slightly different cosmetics (colour normally), usually the guts of the tv are identical.

Same deal with mobile phones O2 for example will have one colour combination where as Orange will have different colours or slightly different cosmetics, the phone is identical.

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
my friend got his toshiba 40inch lcd picture frame model a few years go from comet and then it packed up ! they sent someone out who said it needs a new screen on something like that and will order one . two weeks later they then say they are no longer available so they cant fix it but ned to find out from toshiba what they want to do ! its taken him 3 months to get a new tv with them keep saying you will get a similar tv to what he had . he payed around 1400 when it came out and they said he will only get a value of what its worth !!! (yeh right its gonna be worth around what 200 now) .

he got vouchers in the end to the same value as his original purchase around 1400 , so he got the new sony 40ex703 which i personaly think is not that good but heho

after 3 months he has a new tv and then a month ago (6months after it packing up) comet finaly came to take the old toshiba back !

A

Anonymous

Stu31

go for the panasonic plasma mate I have had sony and samsung LCDS (LED is still LCD with LED backlight) if i were buying now it would be the panny g20 or panny v20

A

Anonymous

Hi i've been offered a Samsung UE40C6540SK 40" LED TV under warranty which is 999.99 at comet for the same or slightly less money i could possibly get the either the Panny Th-P42G20 42" Plasma or the LG 50PK590 OR 790.

So what one would you opt for ?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Snakey:
Stu31

go for the panasonic plasma mate I have had sony and samsung LCDS (LED is still LCD with LED backlight) if i were buying now it would be the panny g20 or panny v20

Yeah know all about the LED's would only consider a plasma really happy with my current panny its been faultless and PQ is spot on and im presuming the G20 would be a step up over mine my nephew has the 50pk590 which looks crisp and is a bigger screen so i need some help deciding !

martynsh1984

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
If you want you can ask for the value of the replacement tv they have offered you. That way you can go into store and pick whatever you want and take any offers/discounts. The team that can decide this is called the BER team (Beyond economical repair)

I would have the panasonic too!

A

Anonymous

Sorry to go on but its now between the Panasonic P50S21 (£899)OR P42G20 (£999)

Now after a bit of reading i realise the g20 is the better spec'd tv and the s21 uses last years tech but wouldn't they BOTH represent a viewing improvement over my current panny ?

I only use my foxsat or blu ray (i wouldn't use the g20's inbuilt freesat tuner) and i hardly ever watch freeview so with all that in mind what set is the best for me ?

Opinions sought please !

A

Anonymous

Hey mate

the g20 has not got the second layer of glass so the double image problem on plasmas is now not a worry i would go for that unless you want bigger than 42!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts