Cods wallop ?

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
It does seem a bit snobbish, particularly when these companies are probably buying the internal components from Japan, Korea, etc. so there's realy not that much difference between what they're selling and what Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. are.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Not quite sure why Arcam is included in that article given how much of their range is now built in China.

(interesting to see Charlie Brennan touting their products against discounted Japanese brands when their own Chinese built goods are discounted in Richer Sounds.)

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Not quite sure why Arcam is included in that article given how much of their range is now built in China.

(interesting to see Charlie Brennan touting their products against discounted Japanese brands when their own Chinese built goods are discounted in Richer Sounds.)

Wasn't the Marantz " packed full of features" made in Asia. Selling currently for approx £300.

sounds shocking doesn't it.

Well no, actually it sounds really, really good. I think you even said its not too far off your old Naim combo.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I think these guys are just trying to justify their very very expensive audio kit.

I'm sorry but these sort of comments from Arcam just don't wash anymore. It's rubbish, plain and simple.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Um said:
chebby said:

Wasn't the Marantz " packed full of features" made in Asia. Selling currently for approx £300.

Well no, actually it sounds really, really good. I think you even said its not too far off your old Naim combo.

Marantz doesn't claim it is British nor 'high end'.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Um said:
chebby said:

Marantz doesn't claim it is British nor 'high end'.

i know,it's a good example of audio equipment packed full of features that sounds great. And doesn't cost £4000

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
EDITED BY MODS

I think Charlie Brennan should remember this is 2013 and he is no longer Linn's 'Pit bull' slagging off Japanese brands as he used to in the 1980s! (When it was still inappropriate given how capable a lot of Japanese high end stuff was at the time.)

The man sounds like a throwback.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
I think Charlie Brennan should remember this is 2013 and he is no longer Linn's 'Pit bull' slagging off Japanese brands as he used to in the 1980s! (When it was still inappropriate given how capable a lot of Japanese high end stuff was at the time.)

The man sounds like a throwback.

happy to be corrected , but didn't Technics amps all but fail in the UK because of this kind of marketing?

matthewpiano

Arcam has really forgotten its core market. They have never had the same chache as Linn or Naim, but their USP has always been good quality 'British sound' at affordable prices. That is exactly where the A60 bought them into the market and it is where they have usually thrived.

They need an entry-level amp product at Rega Brio-R money, where the A19 should be pitched, not over £600.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
So how many 'audiophiles' had seperate players for SACD and DVD-A and CD, I wonder? Standard rubbish spouted by people who would still really like to be back in the 70's and 80's when BS ruled absolutely. Thank god for the computer, the net and digital, at least now there is readily available information and product to compete with the BS.

abacus

As most developed countries have esoteric Hi Fi and Home Cinema manufactures that produce highly expensive equipment to gain the last ounce of performance available, (The law of diminishing returns has set it by then) it’s hardly surprising that high end UK manufactures want to get in on the act.

It’s not possible for a small UK manufacture to really compete in the mass market these days due to limited financial resources, therefore moving into a market they can compete in is both logical and sensible, that way they can make sure they survive and keep their employees employed.

Basically that’s all the report says. (As with all things you can sometimes read too much into things)

Bill

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Speakeing to a few dealers - seems streamers & turntables are flying out of the shops now - I don't think I will buy another CDP again

And yes Arcam are not seen as high end really, a someone said they should concentrate on there core market

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
and you read the same link I posted? Abacus

Didnt really need to read too much into it, the rubbish is plain to see.:read:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Except for this

"Electronics UK sales manager Colin Pratt told Tech Radar that sidestepping the commodity music market makes a lot of sense. "No one wants to be involved in a bun-fight over lower-priced goods. At the high end people are prepared to spend money, but buyers have become increasingly sophisticated – they want to be futureproofed.""

as a general statement

Load of cod milt.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm with Abacus.

Personally I'm glad that the likes of Arcam put outright performance at the heart of their AVRs......and try ringing the likes of Yamaha or Pioneer, and asking to speak to one of the designing engineers, to see where it gets you.

I've heard a fair number of AVRs, and Arcam are (imo) easily the best at 2 channel (in their price range)....which is often an important attribute.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm with Abacus.

Personally I'm glad that the likes of Arcam put outright performance at the heart of their AVRs......and try ringing the likes of Yamaha or Pioneer, and asking to speak to one of the designing engineers, to see where it gets you.

I've heard a fair number of AVRs, and Arcam are (imo) easily the best at 2 channel (in their price range)....which is often an important attribute.

yes probably a more personal service, but I bet the design engineers that Yamaha employ are every bit the match of the one's Arcam use. To de-value their products is a mistake.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ID. said:
Except for this

"Electronics UK sales manager Colin Pratt told Tech Radar that sidestepping the commodity music market makes a lot of sense. "No one wants to be involved in a bun-fight over lower-priced goods. At the high end people are prepared to spend money, but buyers have become increasingly sophisticated – they want to be futureproofed.""

as a general statement

Load of cod milt.

Agreed.

As a relatively small independant Co., commoditization is something that's best avoided, as the big boys will do it better.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Um said:
Yes probably a more personal service, but I bet the design engineers that Yamaha employ are every bit the match of the one's Arcam use. To de-value their products is a mistake.

True, but try speaking to one when you have a problem......or even finding someone who gives a stuff. Compare that with Leema's customer service, for example.

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Um said:
Yes probably a more personal service, but I bet the design engineers that Yamaha employ are every bit the match of the one's Arcam use. To de-value their products is a mistake.

True, but try speaking to one when you have a problem......or even finding someone who gives a stuff. Compare that with Leema's customer service, for example.

I agree the personal service is always welcome/ :) not really enough of it these days.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm with Abacus.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/extremely-poor-customer-service-from-arcam

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/av-receivers/arcam-customer-service

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/arcam-great-products-but-rubbish-customer-service

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/arcam-customer-service

http://www.whathifi.com/review/arcam-av888/user-reviews (see comments regarding customer service)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts