Clearer Audio Alpha mains cable vs RA powerkord...???

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I have been able to do some side by side comparisons as I already have Russ Andrews Reference Power cords for my Amp, CD player and Pre-amp.

I was looking for new cables for my plasma and blu ray layer, so order a Copper-Line Alpha and a Sliver-Line power cable and here are my findings.

Copper-Line Alpha
On the Plasma initially I saw no difference with the Russ Andrews, however through longer usage the Alpha line appeared to have slightly less noise, which was more noticeable on SD content.

On the Amp the Russ Andrews sounded more open for my tastes, although given the £100 difference in cost the Russ Andrews would have only got 3 stars to the Coppers 5 stars, for me though I would have paid the extra money . well that was until I tried the next cable!

Silver-Line
On the Plasma this offered no gains over the Russ Andrews or the Copper-Line.

On the Amp, a completely different story . WOW!ÿ The Whathifi review uses the work "astonishing improvements"ÿ and it does.

The biggest thing that strikes you straight away is the silence, the lack of background noise.ÿ But something I never realized was there in the first place, the system already had a very clean sound with tons of detail . that just got turbo charged.

From the silence the background the sound then builds with improved clarity, plus it appears to change the tone slightly giving a more overall balanced response across the frequencies.ÿ This brings out more detail plus makes poorly recorded CD's sound better.

It does not stop at the CD player, move to Freesat and the detail from the sound tracks increases, news readers sound even more natural.

One thing I was wary off was "Is this change for the better or it is just different?"ÿ Having had the cables in for about a month now the answer is Better.

Everyone's system is different, however I highly recommend giving the Sliver-Line a go.ÿ £150 does seem like a lot, but if your system is up to it this is a fantastic upgrade.

And finally
So the final decision was Copper-Line on the Plasma, Silver-Line on the Amp and Russ Andrews on the Blu-ray . just need to get a few more Silver-Lines . wonder if they do bulk buys?

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
gbhsi1:Which is best?

Hi gbhsi1,

I will not comment on your direct question as you could argue that I would be biased! I am sure that you will however find lots of forum members (like topbloke55) contributing with their experiences. However bear in mind that the two cables you are interested in have a significant difference in cost (Copper-line Alpha Power Cable 1m - £34.26 vs. RA PowerKord 1m - £85.00). If you are looking to compare our cables to RA which are of similar cost then consider comparing Copper-line Alpha (£34.26) to PowerMax Plus (£43.95) or Copper-line (£95.00) to Powerkord (£85.00). Also you may be aware that there are significant differences between our cables - one fundamental factor is that we utilise advanced shielding systems whereas RA do not.

Both us and RA offer 60 Day Money Back Guarantees so you could conduct your own test at home to see what you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Darren

A

Anonymous

I think (having tried a few mains cables now) that the copper line alpha is probably the best value mains you can get at anywhere near the price it goes for at £35. The powerkord is quite a bit more so like said earlier it cannot really be on a comparison. I have had mine a while now and I am very happy and will buy another when funds allow.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
gbhsi1:Thanks Darren- I appreciate the information and I will give yours a try indeed.

My pleasure - we look forward to perhaps building a cable for you.

All the best,

Darren

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Darren, has there been any request for your speaker cables to be tested by the WHF team? Would be interesting to see how they perform knowing that the mains cables are receiving excellent feedback.

Thanks - sc00bie

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Sc00bied00:
Hi Darren, has there been any request for your speaker cables to be tested by the WHF team? Would be interesting to see how they perform knowing that the mains cables are receiving excellent feedback.

Thanks - sc00bie

My only concern is THAT may be a little biased

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Sc00bied00:

Thanks - sc00bie

aliEnRIK:
My only concern is THAT may be a little biased

Sc00bied00 - Indeed as Clare pointed out there is a review of our new Copper-line Alpha Shield Speaker Cable. The cable has drawn from the shielding materials and technologies used in our other award-winning cables. This will be the first magazine review of the cable; we hope that What Hi-Fi? will like it and we shall soon see!

aliEnRIK - Although we have won four What Hi-Fi? awards along with many five and four star reviews it is not always the case hence two stars for Silver Sky! Thus I believe you can be confident in the objectivity of What Hi-Fi?.

All the best,
Darren

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
You didnt have to put it down to £0 quid to sell it though
emotion-4.gif

Seriously though. I didnt know it had been reviewed but you can see my concern when Mr Clearer Audio clearly appears to have some 'clout' on this site.........(Try saying THAT 10 times very fast)

Put my mind at rest anyways
emotion-2.gif

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:
You didnt have to put it down to £0 quid to sell it though
emotion-4.gif

Seriously though. I didnt know it had been reviewed but you can see my concern when Mr Clearer Audio clearly appears to have some 'clout' on this site.........(Try saying THAT 10 times very fast)

Put my mind at rest anyways
emotion-2.gif

Hi aliEnRIK,

With the launch of the new Copper-line Alpha Shield Speaker Cable with its price point we have indeed reduced the price of Silver Sky to £2.50/m with termination now £25.00.

Not sure that I have any 'clout' around here! I do however like to contribute to the forums and get involved as often as I can.

Pleased to hear that you feel reassured.

All the best,
Darren

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi All, thanks for the replies, I noted earlier the listing under the reviews for a test on the new Silver Sky cable, 'mum' duties has delayed my post, thanks again will wait till I receive the mag in the post to read though.

cheers - sc00bie

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK: Seriously though. I didnt know it had been reviewed but you can see my concern when Mr Clearer Audio clearly appears to have some 'clout' on this site..

I can't see that at all to be honest, just because a manufacturer happens to contribute now and again to the forum doesn't give them any more control over the reviewing team than anyone else. There's no "clout" involved with posting here that I can see. All I can see is that you seem to be trying to stir up some kind of controversy, for no reason that I can think of. If I was "Mr Clearer Audio" I'd be pretty offended at the implication that I'm trying to corrupt or influence the reviewing process of the magazine and I think you might want to consider withdrawing that remark.

Just my two pence, no offense and all that nonsense.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
aliEnRIK: Seriously though. I didnt know it had been reviewed but you can see my concern when Mr Clearer Audio clearly appears to have some 'clout' on this site..

I can't see that at all to be honest, just because a manufacturer happens to contribute now and again to the forum doesn't give them any more control over the reviewing team than anyone else. There's no "clout" involved with posting here that I can see. All I can see is that you seem to be trying to stir up some kind of controversy, for no reason that I can think of. If I was "Mr Clearer Audio" I'd be pretty offended at the implication that I'm trying to corrupt or influence the reviewing process of the magazine and I think you might want to consider withdrawing that remark.

If the mod team wish to remove my comment they can. Though if they DO, itll look mighty suspicious to me..............

Ive seen someone get removed for commenting 'against' the cables which I thought was a bit out of order (Maybe there was more to it ~ I dont really care to be honest)

Do YOU take offense to my comment?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:the_lhc:

If the mod team wish to remove my comment they can. Though if they DO, it'll look mighty suspicious to me..............

One of the rules of the forum is no attacking other forum members, I think your comments could be constituted as such, although Mr Clearer Audio was very polite about it.

Ive seen someone get removed for commenting 'against' the cables which I thought was a bit out of order (Maybe there was more to it ~ I dont really care to be honest)

Does depend on the language as well, but one of the other rules is "no discussing the moderators", so we'd best discontinue this side of the discussion.

Do YOU take offense to my comment?

Personally no, but then I don't take offense at anything, however I did think your comment was cynical, unwarranted, unsubstantiated, potentially libellous, borderline aggressive and introduced a tone of unpleasantness that I'd rather not see on this forum.

As readers of the magazine we really have no choice but to trust the editors and reviewers when they tell us that they're not influenced by manufacturers or advertisers in the mag, the other implication of your comment is that you don't believe that and as such, you're basically calling them liars, on their own forum, so is it any wonder that they might get upset (which admittedly they haven't yet but the possibility is still there)?

idc

I have always bought from Russ Andrews, always had very good customer service and they keep sending me interesting brochures! I even took a trip to their showroom in Kendal. I would recommend their power cord as I had one, but......it had more effect plugged into my Arcam CD than when I tried it with my Rega amp. Also, it was also the least influential upgrade I have experienced. I suspect that was because of the mains extension, super socket and silencer which had already 'cleaned' the power supply before the mains cable had any chance to affect things. As a result I did not bother to change any other of the power cords.

On this thread Russ Andrews has been silent where as Clearer Audio have posted excellent responses. So next time I am looking for any mains etc products, I will check out both. So posts do influence.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc: On this thread Russ Andrews has been silent where as Clearer Audio have posted excellent responses. So next time I am looking for any mains etc products, I will check out both. So posts do influence.

That's influencing the readers though, which is not the same as influencing the reviewers.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I'll bare that in mind next time someone 'attacks' me when I post my
comments on mains cables etc (Of which ive tested loads and am a BIG
believer in)

For the record, Im sure the CA cables are awesome
for the price. I havnt tested them so cant comment on them. But I think
its quite clear that WHATEVER a manufacturer makes, theyll push THIER
product over somone elses (obviously)
For someone thats NOT taking this personally, you sure sound like it to me.....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK: I'll bare that in mind next time someone 'attacks' me when I post my
believer in)

Well, yes of course they will, but that's not the same as suggesting that they're actively influencing the tests carried out by the magazine staff, which is what you said earlier.

Not at all, it's simply that I come here for info and advice regarding hi-fi and home cinema, not to see spurious accusations from people against the magazine and forum members, so I'm mildly annoyed at what I regard as an unnecessary comment wasting my time when I could be reading about something more interesting, that's all.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:aliEnRIK: I'll bare that in mind next time someone 'attacks' me when I post my
believer in)

Well, yes of course they will, but that's not the same as suggesting that they're actively influencing the tests carried out by the magazine staff, which is what you said earlier.

Not at all, it's simply that I come here for info and advice regarding hi-fi and home cinema, not to see spurious accusations from people against the magazine and forum members, so I'm mildly annoyed at what I regard as an unnecessary comment wasting my time when I could be reading about something more interesting, that's all.

Wasting your time? Why comment then as you KNOW it would 'waste your time' even more
emotion-7.gif

Would you like it to be known then that there ARE alternatives to the cables in question? Because thats my point all along.

Or should we only ever be shown the one manufacturer of said product type?

idc

the_lhc:

idc: On this thread Russ Andrews has been silent where as Clearer Audio have posted excellent responses. So next time I am looking for any mains etc products, I will check out both. So posts do influence.

That's influencing the readers though, which is not the same as influencing the reviewers.

the_lhc, (I am already subtly influencing you by getting your name right!), if one manufacturer contributes positively to the forum and has a good relationship with the readers and another does not, there will be influences. There is another thread where the discussion is what manufacturers appear on the forum, and What hifi encourage such. It is clear that What hifi like to have manufactuer interaction with the forum. This will have influences and I do not mean the blatant one where one will get better reviews than another. I mean influence such as where What hifi give a poor review, but have a good relationship with the manufacturer so that can lead to a manufacturer changing a design. Andrew has previously stated that after a review they have had manufactuers into the What hif test rooms to show them what the problem was. That will have an influence, hopefully positive. A good relationship means products loaned and readily reviewed. In other posts What hifi have stated that they have a limited budget and cannot buy everything they would necessarily wish to review. So a bad relationship may lead to products just not being reviewed. The influences I am talking of are subtle and not always present, but they are there just the same for reader and reviewer alike.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
idc:the_lhc:

the_lhc, (I am already subtly influencing you by getting your name right!),

Woohoo! Did I make it that obvious?
emotion-1.gif

if one manufacturer contributes positively to the forum and has a good relationship with the readers and another does not, there will be influences. There is another thread where the discussion is what manufacturers appear on the forum, and What hifi encourage such. It is clear that What hifi like to have manufactuer interaction with the forum. This will have influences and I do not mean the blatant one where one will get better reviews than another. I mean influence such as where What hifi give a poor review, but have a good relationship with the manufacturer so that can lead to a manufacturer changing a design. Andrew has previously stated that after a review they have had manufactuers into the What hif test rooms to show them what the problem was. That will have an influence, hopefully positive. A good relationship means products loaned and readily reviewed. In other posts What hifi have stated that they have a limited budget and cannot buy everything they would necessarily wish to review. So a bad relationship may lead to products just not being reviewed. The influences I am talking of are subtle and not always present, but they are there just the same for reader and reviewer alike.

Absolutely and I wouldn't disagree with any of that, although I'd possibly point out that in that instance there's more of an influence on the manufacturer themselves improving their product, which can only benefit all of us, rather than the readers and the magazine staff, but again I'd say that this is not the same, in any way, as suggesting that a manufacturer has an influence over the outcome of any of the tests that the magazine run.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK: Wasting your time? Why comment then as you KNOW it would 'waste your time' even more
emotion-7.gif

just voicing my irritation. And yes I know it's not logical from that point of view, but hey...

Would you like it to be known then that there ARE alternatives to the cables in question?

I'm well aware there are alternatives, however this thread (started by a reader) has asked for a specific comparison between RA and Clearer Audio cables, so that's what people have been discussing.

Because thats my point all along.

Really? I thought your point was that you couldn't trust any review in the magazine that featured Clearer Audio products because they "clearly" had an influence on the magazine, was it not?

Or should we only ever be shown the one manufacturer of said product type?

Now you're just being silly, nobody has ever suggested that and I've never seen anything in the magazine or on the forum to suggest that that's happening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts