Cleaning question

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I know ways to clean vinyl is a fairly regular topic, so apologies if I'm being boring. I promise to pay more attention in future. I have a Knosti Disco Antistatic. The cleaning stuff it came with needs replacing, after reading favourable reviews I've splashed out on a bottle of L' Art du Son. The label says to mix with distilled water, I'm sure I've read (possibly in this forum) that some of you guys prefer deionised water. Any difference? Am I being anal? And for future reference, I know some of you have your own recipe(s), could I have them please?

6and8 said:
I know ways to clean vinyl is a fairly regular topic, so apologies if I'm being boring. I promise to pay more attention in future. I have a Knosti Disco Antistatic. The cleaning stuff it came with needs replacing, after reading favourable reviews I've splashed out on a bottle of L' Art du Son. The label says to mix with distilled water, I'm sure I've read (possibly in this forum) that some of you guys prefer deionised water. Any difference? Am I being anal? And for future reference, I know some of you have your own recipe(s), could I have them please?

Not anal at all. To my mind distilled water and de-ionised water are interchangeable.

My recipe is :-

60% distilled water, 40% Isopropyl Alcohol plus a couple of drops of Ilford Ilfotol Wetting Agent.

Others differ slightly with a different wetting agent.

L'Art du Son is excellent if expensive. You can always revitalise this by passing used fluid through a paper (coffee type) filter into a very clean container.

D

Deleted member 108165

Wot Al said for distilled/deionised water *good*

Slightly different recipe here *smile*

80 % distilled water

20% IPA

2.5 ml Ilfotol

Knosti bath takes approx 0.5 litres, so: 400ml water, 100ml IPA, 2.5ml Ilfotol

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/home-brew-cleaner-for-vacuum-rcms/

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
OK, thanks for that, gentlemen. I've got my bottle of L' Art du Son to experiment with for now but I shall try both your recipes. I've been rather busy supporting my local charity shops and so have lots of old vinyl that could do with a wash 'n' brush up.

DougK said:
Wot Al said for distilled/deionised water *good*

Slightly different recipe here *smile*

80 % distilled water

20% IPA

2.5 ml Ilfotol

Knosti bath takes approx 0.5 litres, so: 400ml water, 100ml IPA, 2.5ml Ilfotol

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/for-audiophiles/home-brew-cleaner-for-vacuum-rcms/

For those really stubborn stains :) (My solution that is) there should be no reason a weaker alcohol solution will not work but I like mine strong. ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts