cleaning my LPs

George680

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Hello reader,

I'm wondering what is the right way to clean my dear LPs?

I've used a sponge in warm water with some dishwashing liquid.

Regards, Sjors

Transmitter Down

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Then you've probably ruined them. Tap water is no good. I use a Disco Antistat machine, and mix 90% distilled/deionised water with 10% Isopropanol, and a few drops of ilfotol

D

Deleted member 108165

Transmitter Down said:
Then you've probably ruined them. Tap water is no good. I use a Disco Antistat machine, and mix 90% distilled/deionised water with 10% Isopropanol, and a few drops of ilfotol

Second everything that TD has said. Tap water and vinyl is a no no.

D

Deleted member 108165

Purchase a Knosti Disco Antistat and clean them thoroughy again. Don't try to play them until you have cleaned them.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
George680 said:
Oh no I’m very sorry for my records.

Is there a way to undo the damage done?

Regards, Sjors

They won't be damaged, and all you need to do is wash them again using washing up liquid in warm water, rinse with cold water and dry carefully using a microfibre cloth. Then you use another microfibre cloth and wipe all the playing surfaces with a liberal dose of alcohol, meths will suffice. Then dry them carefully using a circular motion with a fresh dry cloth. I use this method to clean all sorts of muck off second hand records. The first time you play the record there may be some noise, that will gradually go after subsequent plays. These are the cloths I use. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Kirkland-Signature-Ultra-Plush-Microfibre-Cloths-Towels-Cleaning-Car-Vehicle/142579838218?epid=22002440279&hash=item21326bad0a:g:d5kAAOSwSnFZnKZJ

daytona600

ONLY use distilled water & commercial record cleaning fluid for manual washing £20.00 or get a manual RCM Knosti or Spin clean

once cleaned place in new ant-static inner sleeves or buy a Vacuum RCM

NO other method works , tried & tested for decades on billions of records

D

Deleted member 108165

Oldphrt said:
They won't be damaged, and all you need to do is wash them again using washing up liquid in warm water, rinse with cold water and dry carefully using a microfibre cloth. Then you use another microfibre cloth and wipe all the playing surfaces with a liberal dose of alcohol, meths will suffice. Then dry them carefully using a circular motion with a fresh dry cloth. I use this method to clean all sorts of muck off second hand records. The first time you play the record there may be some noise, that will gradually go after subsequent plays.

I do like your posts Oldphrt, but on this occasion you are so wrong. Distilled water+IPA+wetting agent is the only way to go. The noise you are hearing after the first play is the crud from the tap water being ground into the vinyl.

D

Deleted member 108165

chebby said:
DougK said:
Distilled water+IPA+wetting agent is the only way to go.

Who knew that India Pale Ale was so versatile!

I knew that one was coming, it was only a matter of time *smile*

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
DougK said:
Oldphrt said:
They won't be damaged, and all you need to do is wash them again using washing up liquid in warm water, rinse with cold water and dry carefully using a microfibre cloth. Then you use another microfibre cloth and wipe all the playing surfaces with a liberal dose of alcohol, meths will suffice. Then dry them carefully using a circular motion with a fresh dry cloth. I use this method to clean all sorts of muck off second hand records. The first time you play the record there may be some noise, that will gradually go after subsequent plays.

I do like your posts Oldphrt, but on this occasion you are so wrong. Distilled water+IPA+wetting agent is the only way to go. The noise you are hearing after the first play is the crud from the tap water being ground into the vinyl.

Clearly not true because I've done it successfully many times. Experience always beats google. Technique in the drying is key.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Could the effectiveness of tap water be down to how "clean" it is, or hard / soft?

Certainly, back when I had Vinyl, it was standard advice to use Distilled water.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Both. If you live in a hard water area, you will leaving behind limscale as the water evaporates. Surface water catchment areas, usually high in organics, aquifers - often chalk and nitrates.

Some areas have advanced water treatment. Removes organics mostly.

And don’t panic about the quality of your water, it’s all healthy and relatively little content.

distilled water remains what you need though.

George, whereabouts do you live? Hard water area?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
jmjones said:
Both. If you live in a hard water area, you will leaving behind limscale as the water evaporates. Surface water catchment areas, usually high in organics, aquifers - often chalk and nitrates.

And don’t panic about the quality of your water, it’s all healthy and relatively little content.

It's easy to avoid any scale from the water from drying on the vinyl. You don't just let it dry on the vinyl, you dry it thoroughly with a cloth and then clean it again with alcohol.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Transmitter Down said:
Tap water will knacker your records, I know, I once did it to two. Ignore the washing up liquid and tap water method, it's nonsense.

Bad workman and tools. How can water damage plastic? Did you scour them with Brillo pads?

Oldphrt said:
jmjones said:

It's easy to avoid any scale from the water from drying on the vinyl. You don't just let it dry on the vinyl, you dry it thoroughly with a cloth and then clean it again with alcohol.

There's only one place for alcohol when dealing with LPs, and that's not on the vinyl.... ;-)

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Oldphrt said:
jmjones said:

There's only one place for alcohol when dealing with LPs, and that's not on the vinyl.... ;-)

Have you tried it? If you haven't how do you know?

TRENDING THREADS