Clarity, detail and openness on a tight budget?

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking for a pair of standmounts or small floorstanders that can mate up with my Rotel RA-1520 in a 4 by 5 meter room. I am a bit spoiled by having owned expensive speakers earlier on, but family-life dictates that cheaper stuff must enter the realm.

I have been looking at the affordable Dynaudio DM2/6s, but kan a small speaker like that fill my room with good sound? Some say they sound better than the 2/7s?

What other alternatives exist within a budget of 1000£?

jakja83:

Hi,

I am looking for a pair of standmounts or small floorstanders that can mate up with my Rotel RA-1520 in a 4 by 5 meter room. I am a bit spoiled by having owned expensive speakers earlier on, but family-life dictates that cheaper stuff must enter the realm.

I have been looking at the affordable Dynaudio DM2/6s, but kan a small speaker like that fill my room with good sound? Some say they sound better than the 2/7s?

What other alternatives exist within a budget of 1000£?

Stand mounted speakers look at PMC DB1is, although with stands will take you over the grand mark. Floorstanders, look at B&W 684 or maybe try Totem Arro. Audio-T are selling ex-dem (one colour only, light oak) for £800. I've not heard the Totems with any amp but may make a tempting alternative.

A

Anonymous

Personally I'd look at some floorstanders like PMC GB1i's (2nd hand obviously) or maybe the Rega RS3's or RS5's

Heard the RS5's with the Rotel amp and the Rega Apollo CDP and it was a superb combination
emotion-1.gif

If you're definitly set on standmounts then I agree that the Dyn DM2/6's are superb but also take a look at M/A GS10's and possibly the RX2's. The B&W CM5's and the Roksan Kandy K2 TR-5's are worth a listen as well

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
Dali Ikon 5 mk2 or Dali Ikon 6 mk2. You will still have some money left after the purchase
emotion-1.gif

I heard the Dali Ikon 6 mk2 versus both the B&W 683 and the B&W CM8 a couple of weeks ago (with NAD amp + cd-player) and to my ears the Dali sounded much more open and lifelike. A more forward sound I would say, bringing you a lot closer to the music than what I heard from the B&W's. But then again the amp was a NAD C56BEE with "only" 80 watt and the man working in the Hi-Fi shop said that the B&W's needed up to 150 watts of amplification to sound at their best, so maybe it wasn't a fair test between the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts