Quality differences between in ear and on/around ear on a budget

Turbana

Mar 24, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Due to the corona crisis; being home and spending a lot of time together at home I am looking for some decent headphones on a budget that bring a decent sound.
As you can imagine there are situations where I do not want to bother others with my audio system but I still want to experience something close to my sound system.

So I am very curious how is the quality of in-ear (melomania) headphones compared to on/around ear headphones in the same budget/price range these days?
Somehow I feel that in-ears can never match up to the on ears, but truth is that I never actually tried decent ones.

The cambridge melomania catched my eyes because they can be quite handy to bring on a trip; compact, small sturdy case; but I feel somewhat reluctant to spend the money and just try, I am afraid to find out it does not match up to something on ear.

Is there anyone who had tried these or something comparable and can form my expectations?

D

Deleted member 188533

I have not tried that particular model IEM ( in ear monitor ) but I have heard and own both good IEMs and good over ear headphones.

In my opinion a good IEM can absolutely equal a good headphone in sound quality. In the real high end where you're talking about models custom molded for your individual ears they can maybe even be better.

BUT, there's always a but isn't there :) . I generally don't find IEMs as comfortable. The only kind that stay in my ears are the ones that actually go in the ear canal. For instance I have Klipsch X11I's and they stay no matter what I'm doing. Working out, cutting grass etc.

I also have 1More Quad Drivers. They sound amazing. But they don't stay in my ears no matter what tips I use. Even turning my head a few times cause them to lose the seal they need to sound right.

So it's an individual experience and depends on both your ear shape and the IEM.

Reactions: Dom

si8s

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
I owned a pair of Melomanias and while the sound quality was good they were uncomfortable and the left ear piece’s volume kept dropping to virtually zero with no consistent way to restore it so they were sent back.

i have bought a pair of PX7s instead which I’m happy with so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts