Clare Newsome to be new Naim director.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Yeah do you remember the days when various WHF staff regularly contributed to threads and questions because someone above them recognized it was a useful way of interacting with enthusiasts and presumably provided the resource/time for them to do so?

Wasn't there a forum almost before there was a site? Or at least wasn't the original site almost all about the forum, and interacting with the readers?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
MajorFubar said:
Yeah do you remember the days when various WHF staff regularly contributed to threads and questions because someone above them recognized it was a useful way of interacting with enthusiasts and presumably provided the resource/time for them to do so?

Wasn't there a forum almost before there was a site? Or at least wasn't the original site almost all about the forum, and interacting with the readers?

I believe so, though that was definitely before my time. I lurked for nearly a year before joining in 2010 when I was bedbound with an injury, but it was still very proactively contributed to by WHF staff writers at that time, mostly Andrew.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I believe so, though that was definitely before my time. I lurked for nearly a year before joining in 2010 when I was bedbound with an injury, but it was still very proactively contributed to by WHF staff writers at that time, mostly Andrew.

JD also had a big input.

It worked better imo

insider9

Any forum needs new members joining. Without that it'll dies a slow death. But owners also need to be engaged or at least show some care.

There's been a lot of criticism aimed at The Wam in recent weeks. They've listened to feedback and made changes. Simplifying the forum and bringing back Classifieds. That may be reactive, but still a step forward.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
daveh75 said:
jjbomber said:
insider9 said:
If the marketing strategy includes sending some gear for reviews to forum members, please add me to the front of the queue :)

The marketing strategy is to hire ex-staff to get 5 star reviews. It worked at Astell & Kearn, it worked at Canton.

You're still a *******, I see...
That is an ad hominem personal insult from Daveh75. It is totally out of order and has no place on this forum.

daveh75

lindsayt said:
That is an ad hominem personal insult from Daveh75. It is totally out of order and has no place on this forum.

(A) it wasn't "ad homiinem"

(B) And even if it was this isn't that wanky forum you moderate, so with all due respect STFU and stick to moderating your own forum...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I remember the forum (as an occassional reader) to be very vulgar, constant fighting, baiting, trolling and insults flinging on every other post. It was really nasty, but most forums were like that a decade ago.

Vladimir said:
I remember the forum (as an occassional reader) to be very vulgar, constant fighting, baiting, trolling and insults flinging on every other post. It was really nasty, but most forums were like that a decade ago.

Thankfully Vladimir ( and its good to see you back) some of the regular trollers have been banned since you were last posting regularly .

D

Deleted member 2457

chris_bates1974 said:
Didn't there used to be a "report" button?
I am not sure it worked properly, best to email the moderators.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I remember the forum was heavily policed and staff was fully hands-on back then (when Everard was Editor), which made even more of a highschool courtyard atmosphere. The staff tolerance margins were probably constantly pushed and tested. I got the impression that height of the day for some people was how much mischief they can get away with this time. When I joined it was the end of some forum war with Ashley James. I felt like a Swiss tourist visiting Dresden in 1946.

No obvious policing now, yet its not as nasty. I'm guessing forum drama doesn't work without battons in plain sight.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hello all!

Thanks for your congratulations. It's been 7 years since i've been at What Hi-Fi, you know - quite a lot's gone on since then, all round...

Currently sourcing bespoke hazmat suits for the move to Salisbury ;)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

Thankfully Vladimir ( and its good to see you back) some of the regular trollers have been banned since you were last posting regularly .

Nop. I'm still here.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
daveh75 said:
lindsayt said:

(A) it wasn't "ad homiinem"

(B) And even if it was this isn't that wanky forum you moderate, so with all due respect STFU and stick to moderating your own forum...
Yes it was ad hominem.

Here's the online defintion of "ad hominem":
adverb: ad hominem; adjective: ad hominem

1.(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

Saying that someone is "still a *******" in response to them expressing a point of view about 5 star reviews fits very much the definition of being "directed against that person rather than the position they are maintaining".

Not only are you completely out of order, you also do not understand what ad hominem is.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Hello all!

Thanks for your congratulations. It's been 7 years since i've been at What Hi-Fi, you know - quite a lot's gone on since then, all round...

Hello Clare. Nice to see you on the forum again.

Don’t let your new employers know about your old fondness for B&O :)

drummerman said:
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

Nop. I'm still here.

It wasn't you I was referring to by any means, however glad to see you still are.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
Al ears said:
Vladimir said:

Nop. I'm still here.

It wasn't you I was referring to by any means, however glad to see you still are.

He keeps writing cable reviews tho...

Clare Newsome said:
Hello all!

All the very best from me too, and please do post some stuff if you’ve ever time. Obviously Naim doesn’t get such a lot of airtime here as their own forum is pretty popular. I genuinely appreciate thoughtful input from manufacturers and dealers; it helps keep a perspective. And to those who fear marketing I think we can all spot hype from substance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts