Chromecast audio

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I finally got time to play with the cca today, doesn’t look like it’s going to work for me for two reasons. The first reason is I can’t cast classic fm using an iPhone. The next reason, and most important, is that the volume difference between cca and Yamaha cdn301 is staggering, and that’s using the same dac and optical cable with the addition of a mini toslink adapter, unless I’m missing something.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

grimharry said:
I finally got time to play with the cca today, doesn’t look like it’s going to work for me for two reasons. The first reason is I can’t cast classic fm using an iPhone. The next reason, and most important, is that the volume difference between cca and Yamaha cdn301 is staggering, and that’s using the same dac and optical cable with the addition of a mini toslink adapter, unless I’m missing something.

its not up to much for what it is having tried one myself too. If you want a really good streamer get yourself a node2 for Xmas, i can guarantee it will take streaming performance up a notch in your system I think Grimharry.

im giving my one to my dad for Xmas so he can use it with his bose, as he has just bought an iPad at 75, and I could even tempt him to get into digital music file streaming off an nas. The next present might have to be an nas drive for his birthday. Lol.

daveh75

grimharry said:
I finally got time to play with the cca today, doesn’t look like it’s going to work for me for two reasons. The first reason is I can’t cast classic fm using an iPhone.

Why? TuneIn supports CCA, and I'm fairly certain Classic FM will be available on TuneIn

The next reason, and most important, is that the volume difference between cca and Yamaha cdn301 is staggering

And why's that a problem?

If your volume seems low on the cca...make sure it's up full on the phone itself....in some circumstances the mobile device acts as a volume control....ps4/Spotify connect into dac is one example that I have come across and I'm pretty sure when I had a cca I could control the volume via my iPhone.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
daveh75 said:
grimharry said:
I finally got time to play with the cca today, doesn’t look like it’s going to work for me for two reasons. The first reason is I can’t cast classic fm using an iPhone.

Why? TuneIn supports CCA, and I'm fairly certain Classic FM will be available on TuneIn

The next reason, and most important, is that the volume difference between cca and Yamaha cdn301 is staggering

Tune in might work but the biggest thing was that I’m running the amp at 12 o’clock where as the Yamaha was at about 9 o’clock I don’t know why both on the same dac and toslink just a mini toslink adapter difference

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Did you move volume slider to right on the google app of the device.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
grimharry said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Did you move volume slider to right on the google app of the device.

[/quote

No I didn’t but would that change the digital out?
You could try it direct into an analogue input. Are you using the Google Home app?

I located the cca with google home and then used Spotify (available devices)

cca to dac using toslink then dac to amp

daveh75

grimharry said:
daveh75 said:
grimharry said:

Tune in might work but the biggest thing was that I’m running the amp at 12 o’clock where as the Yamaha was at about 9 o’clock I don’t know why both on the same dac and toslink just a mini toslink adapter difference

Perhaps I'm missing something? But I still don't see why this is an issue.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The volume of the CCA is controlled from the phone or tablet even when using an optical out. So increase the volume of your phone to max, after you have started casting the music.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
daveh75 said:
grimharry said:
daveh75 said:
grimharry said:

Perhaps I'm missing something? But I still don't see why this is an issue.

To get any loudiish volume the amp has to be turned right up or active preamp used

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
The volume of the CCA is controlled from the phone or tablet even when using an optical out. So increase the volume of your phone to max, after you have started casting the music.

so the volume is altered by the phone even with optical/digital out. I’ll try that tomorrow. Didn’t on the Yamaha

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
My fault volume fine now I’ve turned it up*crazy* didn’t think it make a difference being the digital out I’ll just hold my head in shame

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

No need to hang head in shame. It usually the most obvious thing. Why isn’t the amp working. Oh, it’s not plugged in. It’s been done loads of times

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
grimharry said:
I finally got time to play with the cca today, doesn’t look like it’s going to work for me for two reasons. The first reason is I can’t cast classic fm using an iPhone. The next reason, and most important, is that the volume difference between cca and Yamaha cdn301 is staggering, and that’s using the same dac and optical cable with the addition of a mini toslink adapter, unless I’m missing something. 

its not up to much for what it is having tried one myself too. 

?

30 quid or less ... real HiFi for less than a meal for two?

Decent Dac. Contrary to some I find both the analogue and digital outs very passable.

My guess would be that most folks systems have more shortcomings than this little thing .

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
The cca sounds good through the dac and I think tune in radio will work ok. Not sure I like the app equaliser and volume control working on the digital out signal, it’s like having volume and tone controls on a cd transport

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

drummerman said:
grimharry said:

?

Decent Dac. Contrary to some I find both the analogue and digital outs very passable.

My guess would be that most folks systems have more shortcomings than this little thing .

Its always system dependent. If you pair it with a £10k system it won’t work, if you pair it with a £1000 system it probably will.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
grimharry said:

?

Its always system dependent. If you pair it with a £10k system it won’t work, if you pair it with a £1000 system it probably will.

Depends on one's level of NPD. It technically should work even on £1M system.

jameshay12

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
make sure high dynamic range is on in the settings of the home app. Was set off by default on mine and the sound was awful, and would have led you to crank the volume, until it is switched on.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
jameshay12 said:
make sure high dynamic range is on in the settings of the home app. Was set off by default on mine and the sound was awful, and would have led you to crank the volume, until it is switched on.

yep done thanks still seems strange all these adjustments on a digital out but hey ho

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Vladimir said:
drummerman said:
grimharry said:

?

Depends on one's level of NPD. It technically should work even on £1M system.

i suppose one good thing in thinking that at least - you could save yourself an anormous amount of money. Its just what you get in return.

daveh75

grimharry said:
jameshay12 said:

yep done thanks still seems strange all these adjustments on a digital out but hey ho

The FDR setting only effects the analogue output, it's permanently enabled for the digital output

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6290498?hl=en-GB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts