CHORD SPM 650 Power Amp

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Am planning my next (AND VERY LAST!) upgrade so I want to make it worthwhile. It wont be for a while since I need to save.

I am thinking of converting the Cyrus 8 XPd to a Pre XPd and adding a really good power amp. Was thinking of the Chord SPM 650 since from what I have read its sonic signature is similar to Cyrus; fast tight and punchy which is what I like.

Anyone have any experience with this amp? Would it be a good match for Dynaudio? I could go down the Cyrus power route but fancy something a bit different. Also thought of a Bryston 2b SST but would ideally like to buy British.

Thanks in anticipation.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I like buying British too, but after hearing the Bryston amps that I have, I had to ignore that! I've not personally heard the 2B, but the 3Bst was a cracking amp, so I can only assume the new 2Bsst2 should now approach the quality of the older 3Bst, which is now a couple of series back. Definitely worth an audition.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
David,

Thanks for the reply. I suppose Canada is still part of the Commonwealth!!!

Will certainly listen to some Bryston kit. It is stocked in my local retailer conveniently. Have you heard any Chord amps though? How would a Cyrus Pre XPd fare as the pre amp for a top notch power amp in your opinion?

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've heard Chord at numerous shows, but not in a demo room, so it's probably best I don't comment.....

The Cyrus should work fine with a different power amplifier, but it's probably best to have a demo of the pairing first to see how they work together. I swapped the ATC P1 for the 4Bsst2 with the ATC pre-amp driving SCM40's and while it was better, I didnt think the Bryston/ATC combo was working too well together. Either that or Bryston just doesn't go well with the ATC speakers.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Jockey wilson,

You'll be pleased to know Chord and Dynaudio are perfectly matched.

Dynaudio used Chord amp's as there official amp. Dynaudio also used Chord amp's in there active M series range of speaker.

My personnel experience of this combination is excellent. I use a CPM3300 and Totem Mani II sig's which have a pair of Dynaudio drivers in each cabinet. This combo work's very well.

I cant comment on the Cyrus Pre and Chord power combo but i cant see there being a problem as noted before.

jockey.wilson:

Hi,

Am planning my next (AND VERY LAST!) upgrade so I want to make it worthwhile. It wont be for a while since I need to save.

I am thinking of converting the Cyrus 8 XPd to a Pre XPd and adding a really good power amp. Was thinking of the Chord SPM 650 since from what I have read its sonic signature is similar to Cyrus; fast tight and punchy which is what I like.

Anyone have any experience with this amp? Would it be a good match for Dynaudio? I could go down the Cyrus power route but fancy something a bit different. Also thought of a Bryston 2b SST but would ideally like to buy British.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi jockey.wilson

Chord Electronics amplification matches superbly with Dynaudio speakers. As i write this the system playing in the background consists of QBD76 DAC, Prima Pre Amplifier and SPM3005 power amplifer with Dynaudio DM 2/7 speakers and it sounds stunning.

Chord Electronics amplifiers operate at a very high level so therefore can track the waveform of signals extremely accurately. Their bespoke HF power supplies are charging capacitors quicker than speakers can drain them.

Please take a look at the 'Conventional Amplifier Design' article on their website which gives a more detailed and excellent explaination of their HF power supplies.

Chord Electronics power delivery is blistering fast, controlled and with vice like grip which helps them produce a powerful and natural presentation. Their amplifiers are unconditionally stable.
emotion-1.gif

Would you rather have amplification (such as the SPM650) that is charging capacitors at 80,000 times a second or at 50 times a second?

I don't say this likely but for me Chord Electronics inspires confidence.
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Rick,

I thought that Chord may be a good combo with Dynaudio, but it is good to have the vote of confidence.

SPM 650 is definitely at the top of my list. I think it will gel well with the rest of my set-up; fast and dynamic. I want the whole system to be 'pulling' in the same direction...

Need to keep saving those pennies now.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Managed to listen to the SPM 650 a few days ago.

Sounded pretty impressive, especially with £13K worth of Chord CD player on the front end!!! Anyone who thinks that CD is a dead medium needs to listen to one of those.

I still have a nagging doubt about the quoted power figures of the Chord amp though; 130watts into 8 ohms and 170 watts into 4 ohms suggest that the amp will run out of current as I turn up the wick, especially with my 4 ohm Dynaudio speakers.

Rick @ Musicraft; any thoughts?

Anyone else with a Chord SPM 600/650 amp that can comment?

Thanks

petesy41

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi...I purchased a CHORD SPM650 to replace an aging Linn KLOUT which suffers from "mechanical noise" - not mains hum. The SPM650 uses "switch mode power supplies" and therefore does not suffer from the KLOUT problem. I have to admitt, I'm very impressed with the CHORD Amplifier which I've now subsequently moved to my main Hi-Fi Room driving a pair of Linn 212's on Stands. My source is a LEEMA Acoustics Antilla ECO IIS. The final sound is very satisfying, detailed, spacious, with depth and clarity.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts