Chord...QED, cables topic

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi to everybody,

I decided I want to try how much a good interconnect can change (if it can) the SQ. For this reason I want to buy a good interconnect to test the difference.

I was thinking at Chord Cobra 3 or QED Reference Audio evolution, which one do you think woud be the best value for money?

I have a 30 days policy so I can send it back if I feel I cannot hear any difference myself.

Thanks

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Is there any chance of getting them both, doing a comparison and letting us know your findings?

Well, everything is possible! :)
I am afraid my system won't be revealing enough (for now) between two already good cables. I would more try a better cable against the standard (3eur) interconnect provided with the SBT.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO You should stay clear of anything silver-coated.

The brands that I rate are Atlas, Telurium Q and Cardas. Linn make good I/Cs (can be bought on ebay for reasonable money....Linn Blacks can usually be got for £15-18 ).

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO You should stay clear of anything silver-coated. The brands that I rate are Atlas, Telurium Q and Cardas. Linn make good I/Cs (can be bought on ebay for reasonable money....Linn Blacks can usually be got for £15-18 ).

Ah ok, and the ones I mentioned are both silver-coated? Thanks as usual for advices! Ah, I booked the demo of the AMS35i for next weekend...you sure you don't want to change your mind and come for an advice? :D

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
IMO You should stay clear of anything silver-coated. The brands that I rate are Atlas, Telurium Q and Cardas. Linn make good I/Cs (can be bought on ebay for reasonable money....Linn Blacks can usually be got for £15-18 ).

Ah ok, and the ones I mentioned are both silver-coated? Thanks as usual for advices! Ah, I booked the demo of the AMS35i for next weekend...you sure you don't want to change your mind and come for an advice? :D

I haven't checked, but it's not hard, as it will mention it in the specs. Chord and QED do a lot of silver coated cables.

I look forward to your thoughts on the amp, whether good or bad. I would love to be there, but we are just too busy for the next month or so.

:cheers:

Cno

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hey Acalex.

don't get too much wrought-up with cables. but I guess that's something everyone new to hi-fi has to go through.

my advice is; you buy yourself some fancy cables if you want to but you should compare them with your standard white & red standard copper cables. most preferably get yourself blind tested. if you can hear "the difference" and if it's for the better than it's good for you and you could get yourself some nice shiny cables. otherwise I wouldn't bother.

my philosophy is that in the end it's the electronics and speakers what count and not some interconnecting wires. besides do you really think that what you'd find inside your amp or speakers are some exotic cables? at best it'll be simple high purity copper or pure silver wire in Teflon dialectic. nothing extraordinary. no voo-doo. so, I gather, for connecting equipment it's best to use what is already used inside.

I personally use Atlas Hyper cables. it's relic of my cable-experimenting days. the good thing is they're just simple super pure copper (7N OCC copper) in some dialectic. price within Atlas generally depends on dialectic type but I think they're well overpriced anyway. at least they look smart hooked up at the back.

I compared Atlas once to standard red & white interconnect I got with my previous set up. there was some difference but it might just as well be my imagination. the difference (if there ever was some) was so faint that if I was blind tested or if someone swapped the cables without my knowing it I wouldn't even notice it.

so, save yourself some frustration and if you're going to upgrade the cables just buy high quality pure silver or pure copper wires (silver is more expensive so if you're going to go silver make sure you get proper gauge). some people claim they can hear a difference between solid core and stranded wires and usually prefer solid core. I don't want to argue with that. if you feel like experimenting - be my guest, but I'm done with my experimenting.

anyway, I advise you to stay well clear out exotic hybrids, magically enhanced wonders. you might even hear a difference between such cables and standard ones but question remains; if this change for better? only pure conductor gives you guarantee that the signal is not manipulated.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
hey Acalex.

don't get too much wrought-up with cables. but I guess that's something everyone new to hi-fi has to go through.

my advice is; you buy yourself some fancy cables if you want to but you should compare them with your standard white & red standard copper cables. most preferably get yourself blind tested. if you can hear "the difference" and if it's for the better than it's good for you and you could get yourself some nice shiny cables. otherwise I wouldn't bother.

my philosophy is that in the end it's the electronics and speakers what count and not some interconnecting wires. besides do you really think that what you'd find inside your amp or speakers are some exotic cables? at best it'll be simple high purity copper or pure silver wire in Teflon dialectic. nothing extraordinary. no voo-doo. so, I gather, for connecting equipment it's best to use what is already used inside.

I personally use Atlas Hyper cables. it's relic of my cable-experimenting days. the good thing is they're just simple super pure copper (7N OCC copper) in some dialectic. price within Atlas generally depends on dialectic type but I think they're well overpriced anyway. at least they look smart hooked up at the back.

I compared Atlas once to standard red & white interconnect I got with my previous set up. there was some difference but it might just as well be my imagination. the difference (if there ever was some) was so faint that if I was blind tested or if someone swapped the cables without my knowing it I wouldn't even notice it.

so, save yourself some frustration and if you're going to upgrade the cables just buy high quality pure silver or pure copper wires (silver is more expensive so if you're going to go silver make sure you get proper gauge). some people claim they can hear a difference between solid core and stranded wires and usually prefer solid core. I don't want to argue with that. if you feel like experimenting - be my guest, but I'm done with my experimenting.

anyway, I advise you to stay well clear out exotic hybrids, magically enhanced wonders. you might even hear a difference between such cables and standard ones but question remains; if this change for better? only pure conductor gives you guarantee that the signal is not manipulated.

thanks for the great advise as usual! Yes, you said correctly, I really want to sort this out by myself and really experiment if I can hear a difference or not. I indeed want to try if a good cable in the 100 eur price range can make any difference over the cheap interconnect you often get with commercial gear. I am indeed going to do a blind testing involving my gf who is going to swap cables...I am now looking for shops where I can get those cables shipped to Belgium!

A

Anonymous

Dear acalex,

I have always found that the most productive use of money on cables is............... power cables. The biggest positive I ever came across was my first Russ Andrews mains cable powering a Marantz CD player ( the moulded fig.8 version) back in the 90's and believe me I've done a lot of experimentation down too many years.

The difference between interconnects of the same type are inevitably very subtle and digitally of questionable value.

Mains first, speaker wire second and then( & only if your system is revealing enough) interconnects.

I await the tirade from the anti-mains brigade but it is the best use of cable money.

Good luck.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lordy said:
Dear acalex,

I have always found that the most productive use of money on cables is............... power cables. The biggest positive I ever came across was my first Russ Andrews mains cable powering a Marantz CD player ( the moulded fig.8 version) back in the 90's and believe me I've done a lot of experimentation down too many years.

The difference between interconnects of the same type are inevitably very subtle and digitally of questionable value.

Mains first, speaker wire second and then( & only if your system is revealing enough) interconnects.

I await the tirade from the anti-mains brigade but it is the best use of cable money.

Good luck.

....not from me you won't. :)

acalex said:
I am afraid my system won't be revealing enough (for now) between two already good cables. I would more try a better cable against the standard (3eur) interconnect provided with the SBT.

Hi acalex

You've already got good revealing components in your system and you've also already got an excellent interconnect. I'll recommend that you carry on with the standard interconnent. Keep it simple :) But then i again i suppose there is no harm in trying alernative after market cables. Anyway fwiw, as i write this the system i've got playing in the background has a QBD76 > 5m basic interconnect > Hiato > 500 strand OFC speaker cables > Silver RX6's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
acalex said:

Hi acalex

You've already got good revealing components in your system and you've also already got an excellent interconnect. I'll recommend that you carry on with the standard interconnent. Keep it simple :) But then i again i suppose there is no harm in trying alernative after market cables. Anyway fwiw, as i write this the system i've got playing in the background has a QBD76 > 5m basic interconnect > Hiato > 500 strand OFC speaker cables > Silver RX6's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick, thanks for your advise. Thanks to everybody...I think I will hold on and wait to replace my amp before getting excited with new interconnects. Btw I do not have standard interconnect but some shielded gold plated OFC from Hama...those ones

00083023abb.jpg

Hi acalex

Your welcome.

Just to clarify the basic interconnects i use are like the free ones with red/white coloured ends which are supplied with some DVD/Blu Ray players. When you do look at interconects again then also consider basic ones with red/white ends :)

Anyway, will you also be auditioning the Plinius SA-103?

Merry christmas

Rick @ Musicraft

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:

Merry christmas

Rick @ Musicraft

If I get the opportunity yes, of course! Need to check if there are some dealers around here...

Merry Xmas to you as well :)

acalex said:
MUSICRAFT said:

Merry christmas

Rick @ Musicraft

If I get the opportunity yes, of course! Need to check if there are some dealers around here...

Merry Xmas to you as well :)

Hi acalex

Nice one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the SA-103/Silver RX6 combination. Just as with the Hiato, the SA-103's quality of performance and power (big swing of peak to peak current capability of 100A) will energize and scare the Silver RX6's :)

Merry Christmas

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts