Chord Dac still on top?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
To be fair they are in rather different price brackets, so even if the audiolab is better value for money, that doesn't neccesarily mean it will sound as good as the arcam.

The audiolab is one I had considered taking a punt on second hand, so that I can have an extended demo at home and sell on for minimal cost if it's not what I want. It's a bit harder to justify doing that with the more expensive ones tho! Not that the chord dac ever comes up for sale second hand anyway. That must say something, surely :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If David of F. Harvey stocks the D33, he might be able to give insight as to where it fits into the pecking order.....maybe worth starting a thread on.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
If David of F. Harvey stocks the D33, he might be able to give insight as to where it fits into the pecking order.....maybe worth starting a thread on.

We stock the MDAC the arcam superdac and the qbd and can say that the MDAC is great value for money but the d33 walks all over it. if you only had the MDAC to listen to anyone would be really happy with it as its excellent. however put it back to back with the D33 and its very clear to hear the D33 give every song more detail and greater depth......the qbdhd is better still though for my ears anyhow.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CustomCable said:
CnoEvil said:

We stock the MDAC the arcam superdac and the qbd and can say that the MDAC is great value for money but the d33 walks all over it. if you only had the MDAC to listen to anyone would be really happy with it as its excellent. however put it back to back with the D33 and its very clear to hear the D33 give every song more detail and greater depth......the qbdhd is better still though for my ears anyhow.

Thank you for the clarification. I was going to say something very similar, but it would have been a guess.

For me, Chord is a brand I admire rather than like......if you know what I mean.

Am I right in saying the D88 has a musical presentation, while not lacking in excitement ie. not too "pipe and slippers"

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
its definately not laid back like t he old alpha series stuff. it definately sounds more like the diva range in regards to speed, in regards to comparisons on the MDAC the word i would use would be refined.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
For me, Chord is a brand I admire rather than like......if you know what I mean.

Shame about that Cno, and shame you dont live on mainland blighty, inparticular around the South Oxon area, i'd hope to change your mind. :)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
CustomCable said:

Would you be able to describe in more detail the different sonic signatures of the D33, QBD76 and resonessence dacs, and why you rate some more than others? Just interested as you have heard them all.

Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shooter69 said:
CnoEvil said:

Shame about that Cno, and shame you dont live on mainland blighty, inparticular around the South Oxon area, i'd hope to change your mind. :)

I would have taken you up on the invitation if I was close by, but you would have your work cut out....I'm more into Valves and Class A, so there are mighty few AB amps I like; and even fewer Class D. I appreciate the offer though.

:cheers:

Cno

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
shooter69 said:
CnoEvil said:

I would have taken you up on the invitation if I was close by, but you would have your work cut out....I'm more into Valves and Class A, so there are mighty few AB amps I like; and even fewer Class D. I appreciate the offer though. :cheers: Cno

No probs Cno, nout like a bit of education on your travels :grin: If your ever about (and anyone else who wants to pop in) let me know, kettles always on.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
shooter69 said:
No probs Cno, nout like a bit of education on your travels :grin: If your ever about (and anyone else who wants to pop in) let me know, kettles always on.

Whereabouts are you? I travel to Swindon from Brighton fairly often so might take you up on that offer!

Always keen to hear other people's systems, and not heard much chord stuff :)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
shooter69 said:

Whereabouts are you? I travel to Swindon from Brighton fairly often so might take you up on that offer!

Always keen to hear other people's systems, and not heard much chord stuff :)

J6 M40, just through the ridgeway. 45 mins from Marylebone on an average day, doors open if you want to pop in. I'm sure mods will sort some contact detail. :beer:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shooter69 said:

Thank you Sir, you're a gentleman.....though you could be entertaining half the forum with an invitation like that!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
My folks live in the midlands so I go that way every now and again. No plans at the moment but I'm sure something can be arranged!

What is your setup out of interest?

And mods, any way of getting my email to shooter69?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
shooter69 said:

Thank you Sir, you're a gentleman.....though you could be entertaining half the forum with an invitation like that!

Yes, about time we met up, how many years is it now!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shooter69 said:
CnoEvil said:
shooter69 said:

....maybe in Ireland then. :grin:
(you can take in Max and a few others as well, before you Shoot through) ;)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
My folks live in the midlands so I go that way every now and again. No plans at the moment but I'm sure something can be arranged!

What is your setup out of interest?

And mods, any way of getting my email to shooter69?

Any time gregvet.

This is my system taken moments ago:

DSCF6069.jpg

Excuse the beer!

Chord CPM3300

MSB Platinum CD III Transport

Benchmark DAC1 (borrowed, just behind the Grado's)

Totam Mani II sigs

Some Cardas and Kimber cable.

Listening to: Cashier No.9

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
shooter69 said:
CnoEvil said:
shooter69 said:

....maybe in Ireland then. :grin: (you can take in Max and a few others as well, before you Shoot through) ;)

I have some rellies in County Mayo, Ballina. The wife and kids just flew back in from their today, how far is that from you guys?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shooter69 said:
I have some rellies in County Mayo, Ballina. The wife and kids just flew back in from their today, how far is that from you guys?

About two and a half hours.......the Guinness barrel is always out!!

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
shooter69 said:

About two and a half hours.......the Guinness barrel is always out!!

Sounds like a plan sometime, look forward to it.. :cheers:

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
shooter69 said:
Any time gregvet.

This is my system taken moments ago:

DSCF6069.jpg

Excuse the beer!

Chord CPM3300

MSB Platinum CD III Transport

Benchmark DAC1 (borrowed, just behind the Grado's)

Totam Mani II sigs

Some Cardas and Kimber cable.

Listening to: Cashier No.9

No need to excuse the beer. If I wasn't working I would be having one too!

Looks very nice. Chord do know how to make stuff look expensive. What are the speakers like?

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
What are the speakers like?

I like them a lot, they get out of the way of the music and disappear. Very good bass (2 isobaric drivers) that go deep and very clean and in the right room can touch 20hz but i'm getting 26hz in mine using on-line test tones. The treble is very nice, not hard, harsh or forward and apart from a very small upper mid lift where they start to crossover (makes them sound a tad forward) they're pretty flat through the frequency range. I'm getting 26hz - 20khz with CD playback, which is good from a standmount. They will extend up to 27khz in the treble for vinyl lovers.

Set up is a pain in the behind, takes alot of time to get them perfect, tweaking here and there before imaging is spot on. Once its done though they will image any source with ease, they pic up any changes you make in the system and its easy to find fault .

Music wise, they will play anything with ease. Clannads Nil Se'n La [live] is a good test for any speaker, some pipe work with high frequency resonances will pull apart a bad treble, no problems and it sounds enjoyable. Or James Blakes To Care [Like You] has some very nice low bass notes that on my headphones sounds like one note but are 3 in one and you can pick those out, good stuff. I also like to test speakers with Becks Chemtrails or Bat for Lashes Glass, both have very complex drum paterns with Becks charging bass lines, smashing hi-hat sounding excellent and ive heard it sound a compleate mess with some speakers inc. 16k Gallo's. The Glass track has some beautiful soaring vocal that sounds very relaxed amongst the manic drums.

Not sure what to fault.

:cheers:

Edit: I know your after some DAC info. I'll do a wee right up on this Benchmark DAC1 i have borrowed in the DAC forum, soon :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
GV, if you are interested in the Arcam D33, you should get a copy of this months Hi-Fi+, where it apparently has a glowing review, saying it's one of the most natural sounding Dacs on the market.

TRENDING THREADS