Chord Chameleon Plus or Atlas Hyper II?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

New to this forum but been dabbling with hi fi for a few years, now got a reasonable system after a great deal of time and a fair amount of money invested.

My current set up is:-

Naim cd5 i

Rega Mira 3

Castle Chester speakers

All nice kit as I'm sure you know, my current cables are both made by Chord, I'm using a Cobra 3 interconnect and old Carnival speaker cable, my next logical upgrade will be the interconnect followed swiftly by some (much) nicer speaker cable in the new year.

So, here's my question, what's the consensus of opinion (if there ever can be one) on interconnects, would you go for the Atlas or the Chord? I'm leaning toward the Atlas, they get good reviews and are made just over the border but I thought I'd put the question to the forum first

Look forward to hearing your points of view folks

Cheers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I prefer Atlas.....but the only way for you to know is borrow some Hyper 2, which is good stuff.

There are people who prefer Chord, people who prefer Atlas and people who say it doesn't make a (double) blind of difference....so you need to try it for yourself.

BTW. Welcome to the mayhem. :)

jj123

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I also enjoy Atlas Cables. Pleasantly surprised. They are new for me, as I've just outfitted my upstairs system with their RCA's and Hyper 2.0 speaker cable. It honestly made a considerable improvement in the systems musicality and clarity.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your rapid and constructive comments!

So it's looking like Atlas, which I was leaning towards anyway.

Also can I add I just tried my system with a Van Den Hul D102 I was using with my old set up.

The D102 served it's purpose in that it smoothed out some seriously rough edges, harshness and brightness in my old set up but doesn't have the Cobra's 'bounce'. Music just sounds more energetic through the Cobra but some brightness is creeping back in, I suspect the speaker cables, can't wait to get shot of them, so if anyone's looking for some reasonable cables for a second system perhaps?

It's a lark is this audiophile game innit?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Julian_H said:
Thanks for your rapid and constructive comments!

So it's looking like Atlas, which I was leaning towards anyway.

Also can I add I just tried my system with a Van Den Hul D102 I was using with my old set up.

The D102 served it's purpose in that it smoothed out some seriously rough edges, harshness and brightness in my old set up but doesn't have the Cobra's 'bounce'. Music just sounds more energetic through the Cobra but some brightness is creeping back in, I suspect the speaker cables, can't wait to get shot of them, so if anyone's looking for some reasonable cables for a second system perhaps?

It's a lark is this audiophile game innit?

They are sometimes, slightly unkindly, called Van Den Dull!

The Atlas imo. keep the "life" in the music, but without the edginess that some of the silver coated Chord stuff has....but it's personal and subjective.

Other cables brands that I rate are Telurium Q and Vertere.

A

Anonymous

Yes I've heard the 'bland and dull' quip before as well, amusing but unfair, they're a good lead and made my old system sound lots nicer

Just had a look at the Telerium and Vertere stuff, I'd love to buy them but can't afford those sorts of prices

will see what I can pick up in the sales I guess...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Julian_H said:
Yes I've heard the 'bland and dull' quip before as well, amusing but unfair, they're a good lead and made my old system sound lots nicer

Just had a look at the Telerium and Vertere stuff, I'd love to buy them but can't afford those sorts of prices

will see what I can pick up in the sales I guess...

They both have a very big range.

I like the Vertere D-Fi range.....while not cheap, is more affordable.

S/C (2m)..........£250

I/C (1m)...........£105 (I think)

A

Anonymous

Do you know anything about this company?

http://www.the-missing-link.net

I like the 'cottage industry' feel to their website and am all for supporting small local manufacturers against bigger companies if their products are any good

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Julian_H said:
Do you know anything about this company?

http://www.the-missing-link.net

I like the 'cottage industry' feel to their website and am all for supporting small local manufacturers against bigger companies if their products are any good

I have certainly heard of them, but other than that, I can't help.....maybe start a thread, as there is a lot of diverse knowledge on here.

TRENDING THREADS