Choosing a new 9 channel receiver with physical size limitations.

LucaSydney

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
Hi,
I'm new here - but in a bit of a bind so hoping for some advice. In a nutshell, I need a 9 channel receiver that is going to fit into my TV unit. Choosing a receiver where the primary consideration is physical size doesn't seem like the best way to go - but I am hoping at least a few people can relate?

Three months ago, I upgraded my HT receiver to a NAD T758 v3i. As it is, this only barely fits into the cabinet - I've had to use right angle everything (banana plugs, power cords, HDMI adapters, RCA plugs) to make it work. But it does work and it sound amazing! I really love it.

At the time, 7 channels of amplification sounded like plenty. It powered my Q Acoustics Concept 20 front speakers, the matching Concept center, and a couple of wall mounted Monitor Audio Bronze Atmos modules used as surround left/right. I figured i could bi-amp the front speakers or get a couple more of the upfiring Atmos modules to sit at the front. My life was complete... for about 5 seconds.

I've ended up buying 4 x Q Acoustics QI65C in ceiling speakers which I have just finished installing and wiring. I also purchased a stereo amplifier to drive two of those speakers from the height 2 pre-out of the NAD T758 v3i.

I mean it works and all, but it has some issues / it takes up a lot of space, more cables, etc.. basically I am thinking a 9 channel receiver is going to be easier and have started looking at what else is available - primary consideration being size and 9 channels. So far the list of size compatible candidates are:
  1. Denon X4700H
  2. Marantz SR6015
  3. Integra DRX-3.4
  4. ?
For reference the NAD is
  • 435 x 172 x 397mm
  • 17 1/8 x 6 13/16 x 15 11/16”*
While I know a bit about home theater - I am by no means an expert. I am hoping you can help either share your thoughts on the above receivers vs the current NAD receiver OR make some other recommendations, even brand suggestions (I hadn't heard of Integra until about 5 seconds ago).

I'll admit, I feel a little stupid talking about replacing a 3 month old receiver - but I truly believe my life will be complete if/when I do (we all know its WHEN not IF).

Thanks!

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Your TV unit is dictating what £1500 receiver to buy? That must be one valuable TV unit. Me, I'd sell it and get something more appropriate so I could have whatever receiver sounded best.

Reactions: jjbomber

LucaSydney

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
The real value of the TV unit is the fact that my wife loves it (and £800 odd).
I should also mention that this is in a combined living\dining\kitchen room in our house - not a dedicated media/cinema room, etc.. so the form trumps function (unfortunately).

My wife has been a good sport about ceiling speakers, new new receiver, etc. so this is not the battle to have.

Having said that - with this budget ($4k AUD), 9 channels of amplification and size considerations - the only options I have seen being cut from the ranks so far are Yamaha Aventage and the some larger Marantz units.

Maybe this is a flawed thread in the first place - I could just read some reviews for best in price bracket then check the dimensions and research/listen/buy.

I would still appreciate any opinions or thoughts anyone is willing to share.

Cheers!

Both Denon and Marantz are excellent choices. The Marantz is a bit more musical. I've previously had Marantz SR6013 and now have Denon X6300H. The Marantz had more oomph but the Denon allowed me to have a one box solution for 7.1.4 Atmos. I don't rate Integra at all, as Onkyo's room correction software is poor.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
The real value of the TV unit is the fact that my wife loves it (and £800 odd).
I should also mention that this is in a combined living\dining\kitchen room in our house - not a dedicated media/cinema room, etc.. so the form trumps function (unfortunately).

My wife has been a good sport about ceiling speakers, new new receiver, etc. so this is not the battle to have.

Having said that - with this budget ($4k AUD), 9 channels of amplification and size considerations - the only options I have seen being cut from the ranks so far are Yamaha Aventage and the some larger Marantz units.

Maybe this is a flawed thread in the first place - I could just read some reviews for best in price bracket then check the dimensions and research/listen/buy.

I would still appreciate any opinions or thoughts anyone is willing to share.

Cheers!
Ah, so the WAG factor is essential. Fully understand :)

More important than reviews is try-before-you-buy. If you can find a dealer who'll let you try things out at home for 30 days, that's the way to go. Spend more to get that if you have to. I made the mistake of buying a Denon without doing that and absolutely hated it. Couldn't even sit through a whole album. Real nails on a blackboard stuff. Most people love them so maybe it was something to do with speaker compatibility. Luckily the dealer accepted it back.

[Edit: a quick note to add, the reason for my original question is because you would not believe the number of times mates have asked me, "I can't find a £1000 doohicky to fit in my £20 rack, what do you suggest?" or equivalent. The same thing happens with cables. WAG says she doesn't like messy cables everywhere. Mate thinks that means he can't have a surround set up instead of hearing what the WAG is really saying: hide the cables and make the room look better than before.]

Last edited:

LucaSydney

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys - appreciate it! :)
I think I am sort of leaning towards the Denon AVR-X4700H at this stage - still seeing what else is out there that I might have missed, but this seems like the solid choice. Now the question is to wait for some kind of sale price or just impulse buy.

I see stores that offer refunds/replacements if you are not happy - but they are all overseas. Down here in Australia unless its faulty you are basically committed to it. The best thing I can do is keep all of the original packaging, remotes, cords, etc.. in pristine condition so if I dislike it, I can sell and ship anywhere in the country.

100% with the WAG's - you gotta keep this stuff tidy. I spent a a fair chunk on this quarter tube conduit with a flip open lid and corner connectors. It goes around most of the ceiling - but people have commented that it looks professionally done! Everyone is happy and I get my 5.1.4 setup (even with 2 small kids and their tendency to touch/break everything).

Cheers!

LucaSydney

Mar 14, 2022
Visit site
Just an update here in case anyone was moved by my struggle for a size based receiver.
I've had the Denon AVC-X4700H cabled up for a week now (impulse buy).
In fairness to the NAD receiver it replaced, I never ran the Dirac Live calibration - I did try, but always too much background noise was reported, so either I had some mic or speaker levels out of whack or it expects you to live in an anechoic chamber.

The Audyssey calibration on the other hand was a much simpler affair to run, so went through that from the three listening positions.

WOW! What a difference calibration makes. I find it amazing how a system of 9 speakers no bigger than bookshelves can produce such a big sound! The sound when watching movies is incredible - even better than imagined. For day to day use, I've had to increase volume range control settings as TV volume is all over the place.

There is an issue with Apple TV 4K and stuttering audio from Netflix w/ Atmos playback randomly, a pause and rewind will fix it - this seems to be a fairly common issue with the Apple TV 4K, but I never saw it with the NAD - so a bit of reading and support ticketing to come up with an answer there.

Apart from the Apple TV issue, I am very happy with how this has all turned out (now I just need someone to buy the old receiver).

Cheers!

Reactions: Arron and bigboss

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts