Choosent Between Celestion Ditton 44,442,66,662 Speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
The 66 are way too big for your room .... I have heard these and they shake floor foundations when connected to a beefy amp

44's will be a better option .... however, IMF TLS80 or 50 are excellent (they do crop up on ebay from time to time).... 3 way transmission speakers and will suit your room size

or, B&W DM2 transmission speakers (the very 1st edition) .... thats what I have

In my opnion, most of the modern speakers that I have heard are a bit 'too bright' for my tastes. I prefer the older speakers. I also like the old Yamaha NS1000 and they are on my wish list

TrevC

nopiano said:
It is many years since I heard these old Celestions. I did own some very different sounding SL600s, by which time my recollection is that the 44, 66 etc had disappeared from production. From roughly that era, I'd be curious to hear again the Leak 2075' which had a Dalek-like swivelling head unit and a whopping 15" bass driver. Would probably be very disappointing now, but I have fond memories!

I have to observe that I too cannot quite imagine today's outstanding amplifier paired with wooly old chuffers like the 44s, but it's not my money, so I hope it works out!

They have an extended treble and excellent tight bass, so woolly old chuffers they are most definitely not! Sound best with low stands.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered adding a sub to smaller speakers to fill out the bottom end? You may get a more modern speaker but still have the bigger bass sound that you prefer.....

TrevC

mond said:
Have you considered adding a sub to smaller speakers to fill out the bottom end? You may get a more modern speaker but still have the bigger bass sound that you prefer.....

That's what I would suggest. Something like a BK Gemini / XLS200 with an Antimode would be just the job, and provide as much bass as he wants.

bluebottle

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
SwissSteve is correct I have recapped many Ditton crossovers and repaired quite a few tweeters. Silk dome voice coils for the Ditton tweeters are available at very little cost and although a bit fiddley to fit the job can be done easily in about 10 minutes.

As for the Ditton sound I love it and believe me I have quite a few of their speakers and not only Ditton's but also KEF and B&W. During the sixties I was service manager for a chain of Hi-Fi stores and nowadays although retired I buy and restore old equipment from that period it's a real pleasure to restore what was very well built equipment.

As for the Ditton 66, I wish I could afford a pair, you should listen to the music not the specifications.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts