Cheapest legal way to obtain second Sky HD box?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I currently have multi-room Sky, but one of the boxes is an old Sky non-HD box.

I need another Sky HD box for a second room, (having just binned a large CRT TV) to hook up to a new TV.

I rang Sky and they said the cheapest option was a 2TB HD box for £149. Does anyone know of a cheaper legal option?

Thanks.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
That's nonsense, Sky do a single tuner non-recording HD box which will be much less than that, you might even get it for nothing.

Thanks but forgot to say I need to be able to record too. I presumed all their boxes would have that feature as standard.

May have to bite the bullet then and fork out another £150 plus postage.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
The_Lhc said:
That's nonsense, Sky do a single tuner non-recording HD box which will be much less than that, you might even get it for nothing.

Thanks but forgot to say I need to be able to record too.

Oh well in that case yes, the 2TB box is the only one they offer now.

I presumed all their boxes would have that feature as standard.

They do, apart from the one that doesn't, obviously.

May have to bite the bullet then and fork out another £150 plus postage.

Looks like it yes, I'm in a similar boat myself.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Cheapest way will be s/h from the likes of ebay. Resellers charge the same or more than Sky.

Forgive my ignorance, but how would I activate the box. I presume my viewing card from the old standard Sky box would be useless.

If I connected a second hand box to the Sky aerials (the dual connectors inside my living room) would I get a picture/signal?

daveh75

Charlie Jefferson said:
Forgive my ignorance, but how would I activate the box. I presume my viewing card from the old standard Sky box would be useless.
You phone Sky and get them to re-pair your viewing card to the new box.

IF i connected a second hand box to the Sky aerials (the dual connectors inside my living room) would I get a picture/signal?

Yes.

Though obviously you would need an active/paired viewing card in the box to receive encrypted/premium channels

I'm surprised Sky didn't offer you a free replacement for your SD box though tbh. Sky need shot of them due to s/w and security issues

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts