Cheap upgrade to any mains lead ???

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Ferrite rings come fitted to some power leads so why not add them to leads you think are okay for additional protection clicky.

Any mileage in adding one/two of these to to a RA/Clearer lead ? Would one at either end be better ?? Let the fun BEGIN!!!

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
I've been using one of the largest of those in your clicky on the plug end of a stock mains lead on an Exposure preamp. I've looped it through a few times.

The amp picks up noise from everything and my mains is filthy. The ferrite has helped a little. I think some of my mains borne clicks seem less spiky and make for a bassier note through the speakers. It certainly isn't a miracle panacea though.

I'm note sure if I wouldn't be better putting them on the fridges and freezers tbh.

I've just received some very basic half metre shielded mains cables today. When I've bought some male IECs I'll be able to replace the stock cable and give those a test instead.

Clamp type ferrites that contact the cable better are more likely to be effective I think.

Hopefully Trevor will come in with some sage words of wisdom, and a little technical knowledge.

A

Anonymous

Good morning, well my stance has always been to deal with the problem you have to tackle the problem.

In the home an amazing amount of noise can be generated on the various ring circuits. If you did an A/B comparison (before and after) you would cry. No way would you put up with the effects it had on your lovely pride and joy HiFi.

Ferrite rings help, and are good at cutting down the lead behaving as an Aeriel. See no benefit in using them on Russ Andrews leads or Clearer Audio ones.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 2.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
I find that in using ferrites it is only really worthwhile placing them on as many cables as possible. A single ferrite really can't solve noise issues, but a dozen or more will help to reduce it and improve your system that little bit more. I agree with trevor79 in that the improvement is only a 2/10 - well, maybe a little bit more - but when added to all of the other 'small' improvements that us hifi geeks love - some of us at least! - then the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts.

I would disagree with you trevor79 when it comes to which types of cables you should place ferrites on. All the cables in my systems are extremely well shielded, but I believe in a total overkill approach to the 'noise' issue since it will never get better in our lifetimes, only worse.

Edit: kena, it is always best to place a ferrite on each end of any cable. I even have some cables with 2 ferrites on each end...like I said, overkill!!

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
idc:
These ferrite rings you speak of, are they the same as the plastic round thing on most PC power cables?

Yep. You will find ferrites on most computer leads since computers are very prone to the effects of EMI/RFI etc which can, in worst case scenario, cause a CPU to crash. This is the same reason why nearly all computer cables are shielded as standard. Any type of EMI/RFI/static WILL attach itself to an aerial - which is what any cable becomes once a voltage is applied to it. The hifi world still has a certain amount of catching up to do as far as I'm concerned!

Edit: The plastic is just a case - a ferrite is made of iron, sometimes including other materials such as nickel

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
idc:Thanks Tear Drop, this discussion had resulted in one of those 'were they there all along, why hadn't I noticed them' moments.

Yes me as well , one was in the box on my new LG cinema system as a fit to power lead (At source end) if you want, I know Clearer Audio fit them if you wish and as standard on their dearer cable, so I thought I would check out Maplins for my existing leads. Think I will go down route of 1 each end

A

Anonymous

Tear Drop:idc:
These ferrite rings you speak of, are they the same as the plastic round thing on most PC power cables?

emotion-1.gif
You have it the wrong way round. It's to stop the computer radiating CPU hash. A hifi doesn't radiate hash so doesn't need such things.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Cyril Mason:You have it the wrong way round. It's to stop the computer radiating CPU hash. A hifi doesn't radiate hash so doesn't need such things

Can you elaborate on this? Why would manufacturers of computers care whether the CPU emits 'hash'? Besides, any electrical device, including hifi, puts some noise back onto the mains...

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone,

The addition of ferrite rings can be very beneficial in reducing noise (in particular RFI) that is already on the mains line (i.e., conducted noise). For example, computers can feed noise back into the mains which is then transferred to your hi-fi. Reducing - or better still eliminating - any noise from reaching your hi-fi system will result in improved performance. Be aware that ferrites vary vastly in quality of materials used, manufacturing procedures and consequently performance is variable. Also ferrites perform at different frequency ranges depending upon the design and application.

Our own high-performance Super Suppressors are custom-made with the best materials to very tight tolerances and are indeed used on the Silver-line Power Cable and Silver-line Optimus Power Cables as standard. We can fit them to the Copper-line Alpha and Copper-line Power Cables costing £10.00 each if required.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Darren

A

Anonymous

Tear Drop:Cyril Mason:You have it the wrong way round. It's to stop the computer radiating CPU hash. A hifi doesn't radiate hash so doesn't need such things

Can you elaborate on this? Why would manufacturers of computers care whether the CPU emits 'hash'? Besides, any electrical device, including hifi, puts some noise back onto the mains...

If electrical equipment doesn't carry the CE mark it can't be sold in the EU and during the tests carried out to obtain the CE certification the equipment is tested for excessive RFI, both radiated and conducted. Most hi-fi gear puts very little noise back into the mains.

A

Anonymous

clearer_audio:Hello everyone,

The addition of ferrite rings can be very beneficial in reducing noise (in particular RFI) that is already on the mains line (i.e., conducted noise). For example, computers can feed noise back into the mains which is then transferred to your hi-fi. Reducing - or better still eliminating - any noise from reaching your hi-fi system will result in improved performance. Be aware that ferrites vary vastly in quality of materials used, manufacturing procedures and consequently performance is variable. Also ferrites perform at different frequency ranges depending upon the design and application.

Our own high-performance Super Suppressors are custom-made with the best materials to very tight tolerances and are indeed used on the Silver-line Power Cable and Silver-line Optimus Power Cables as standard. We can fit them to the Copper-line Alpha and Copper-line Power Cables costing £10.00 each if required.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Darren

Sorry Darren, I don't agree that incoming RFI can effectively be suppressed by any mains lead because in my experience most problem RFI is radiated.

The fact that you also sell the things makes my scepticism a lot greater.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
clearer_audio:Hello everyone, The addition of ferrite rings can be very beneficial in reducing noise (in particular RFI) that is already on the mains line (i.e., conducted noise). For example, computers can feed noise back into the mains which is then transferred to your hi-fi. Reducing - or better still eliminating - any noise from reaching your hi-fi system will result in improved performance. Be aware that ferrites vary vastly in quality of materials used, manufacturing procedures and consequently performance is variable. Also ferrites perform at different frequency ranges depending upon the design and application. Our own high-performance Super Suppressors are custom-made with the best materials to very tight tolerances and are indeed used on the Silver-line Power Cable and Silver-line Optimus Power Cables as standard. We can fit them to the Copper-line Alpha and Copper-line Power Cables costing £10.00 each if required. Hope this helps. All the best, Darren

The core supplied with my home cimema all in one states it's for EMI only so not quite sure what will happen if I play a Island or an Independant disk.
emotion-2.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Cyril Mason:
clearer_audio:Hello everyone,

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Darren

Sorry Darren, I don't agree that incoming RFI can effectively be suppressed by any mains lead because in my experience most problem RFI is radiated.

I use 16 core machine braided mains leads on my system and can say without a shadow of a doubt that they DO 'lessen' mains bourne interference and Russ Andrews has even done tests to prove they do

As for these ferrites, I do use them but they dont do much to my mind ~ certainly nothing like what a proper braid does. (But clearly as they come with most monitor cables etc these then there must be something in it)

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:

I use 16 core machine braided mains leads on my system and can say without a shadow of a doubt that they DO 'lessen' mains bourne interference and Russ Andrews has even done tests to prove they do

What interfference were you getting that needed to be cured?

Mr Andrews is a cable retailer so he would say that, wouldn't he?

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Cyril Mason:aliEnRIK:

If it doesn't work send it back end of story , ferrites well it ain't going break the bank if you bin them ...

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Cyril Mason:aliEnRIK:

Ill say that again because I think you missed it. He PROVED via an external source that braided cables lessen mains bourne RFI and he also PROVED that they 'measurably' effect amplifiers

I really couldnt care less wether you believe him (or me) to be honest.

As for my setup? I really dont know. I didnt measure the mains RFI (I dont think many do to be honest
emotion-5.gif
)

But without a shadow of a doubt my system looks and sounds far better with them (And theyve been put up against Isotek, Russ Andrews and Merlin amongst others)

You just go and bury your head in the sand mate ~ ill carry on listening to my system KNOWING it sounds better because of the cables I use................

A

Anonymous

Totally agree with aliEnRIK, the difference is not small, it is very noticable.

Some of us have the pleasure of enjoying music on a much better scale because of the Mains improvements we have made to our systems.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Cyril Mason:Sorry Darren, I don't agree that incoming RFI can effectively be suppressed by any mains lead because in my experience most problem RFI is radiated.

Cyril,

There is a great deal of conducted noise (not just RFI but from across the whole EMI spectrum) on most domestic ring mains and high performance ferrite rings can help reduce or even eliminate this noise. Within the EMI spectrum, narrowband RFI is conducted but as you point out can also be radiated. However this radiated airborne RFI is picked up by unshielded cables and thereby transferred through conduction to connected components. Even shielded cables can pick up radiated RFI in some severe cases. Fitting a ferrite ring would therefore help reduce this noise.

With regards to us selling them, we only fit our Super Suppressors to our own cables and do not sell them separately. We would not have put considerable effort into developing them and use them on our products if they were of no benefit. As has been pointed on the forums before, we offer a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee on all of our products; and if a customer wants to try a cable with and without Super Suppressors to evaluate effectiveness in their system then we can do this.

Best regards,
Darren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts